Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carbon Pricing Raffle -- Three Tesla Prizes, Three Cash Prizes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new Chancellor of the Penn State branch campus I went to was in town last night and their staff asked if I was available for dinner. No idea why they wanted me but I said sure. I'll make @Pollux jealous and say that we went back to Founding Farmers :)
They were familiar with my experiences showing the car off for students and we got around to talking Tesla. I came prepared with your postcards and gave them out at the opportune time. Turns out they are kind of a raffle nut and since they didn't shy away from the conversation or leave the cards on the table, you'll have to let me know if they jump in for a ticket.
They were going to Uber back to their hotel so I offered to drive them. Unfortunately it was only a mile but I made the most of it. I forgot to mention referral code discounts so I'm hoping they get back in touch for more info and another ride.
Sadly I haven't bought my ticket yet so I didn't know how to answer the question whether there was any poll on the site about how they heard about the raffle.

Ooof. Founding Farmers - great restaurant!

I'm impressed by this story! And grateful for your conversations and for distributing the cards! How would I recognize their ticket purchases, if indeed they made any?

Oh, yes, there IS a question on the website asking where people heard about the raffle. There's also an "Other" field, which winds up with a lot of different write-in replies, like, "saw red car driven by woman outside of Starbucks". I think we all know *exactly* who *that* is. :)

Alan

P.S. I hope everyone was on-time at Founding Farmers. Wouldn't want to keep anyone waiting at *that* yummy place.

Hi all, Zac Cataldo of Now You Know / Tesla Time News did an interview with the founder and executive director of Climate XChange at the CXC offices yesterday, and posted it today. Please take a look - and share it, because while we want to sell raffle tickets and raise funds, more important is raising awareness about and support of carbon pricing, in MA and beyond. Needed more than ever in the post-Paris Climate Agreement age, unfortunately.

Get your tickets at Climate XChange Carbon Pricing Awareness Raffle

Reactions: Pollux
IMG_8158.JPG
Climate XChange Executive Director Mike Green and I crashed MIT's graduation today, parking my brand new (28 miles on odometer) S 90D loaner along Mass Ave where all of the families were leaving the commencement ceremony. We handed out dozens of 1/4 page flyers and had conversations about carbon pricing, the raffle and Tesla. I was amazed how many people were seeing a Tesla for the first time. Many took photos or sat in the passenger seat, or both! We pitched the tickets as a great graduation present.

The Watertown service center valet drove the car back with stickers on the two front doors (I asked him to leave them on for future loan-outs, but highly doubt it) and some flyers for their reception desk. And we left a sticker on the back of an MIT yard sign pointing the way to the ceremony.

While I'm thinking about it...

North Dakota & South Dakota

Ticket purchasers come from 48 of the 50 states! All we need is for someone in North Dakota and South Dakota to buy tickets, and we'll be able to report that the whole country is involved! :)

Anyone from ND or SD on TMC? Or anyone on TMC know anyone in ND/SD?

Thanks,
Alan

Yikes! Thanks for the heads up, @Half Dollar Bill!

We left our red P100D with decals parked in front of a hotel in DC, with the willing help of the head valet, for four days during Citizen Climate Lobby's national summit and lobbying meeting. (CCL is a national group with 50,000+ members that lobbies for carbon pricing at the federal level; Jessica and I see them as complementary to CXC. Jessica sits on the CCL board.) It turns out that even national carbon pricing enthusiasts don't know enough about the state-by-state efforts that CXC encourages, much less how much progress Massachusetts has made.

The car + decal thing has really been fun!

Alan

(You can barely see the decal on the passenger door behind Jessica.
IMG_2520.jpg

Only 18 days left!! (Ticket sales end July 4 @ 1 pm, drawing is July 4 @ 7:30 pm, you need not be present to win.) 2500 tickets max, 1614 sold, 886 left... We're gonna give someone a $120,000 Model S or X, they're gonna have it probably in August, maybe September, assuming the winner wants brand-new build-to-order instead of an inventory car or CPO... and we're gonna pay that nasty federal income tax withholding payment to the tune of $40,000... And we're gonna give someone ELSE major assistance with a Model 3 -- early reservation, $1K deposit, $10K cash, $3666 federal income tax withholding payment... And we're gonna give another someone else a Model 3 -- same as before, early reservation, $1K deposit but $5K cash and $2K federal income tax withholding payment. Early... so probably will qualify for that $7,500 tax credit... Not to mention the 4th, 5th and 6th place cash prizes...

I'm kinda living my dream... I like this whole give away a Tesla thing...! I know, I know, you gotta buy a ticket, there's no free lunch. I can't afford to give them away for free, much as I'd like to... Not to mention the whole thing about putting the money to work for carbon pricing... I wake up in the morning and read the latest thing that the current administration has done to move backwards on climate change and it makes me reflect how fortunate we are to live in a democracy that encourages activity at all levels so that we can make progress state-by-state even when the national government eagerly heads in the wrong direction.

Screen Shot 2017-06-16 at 10.34.48 AM.png

Warning to all decal displayed:
Apparently, it is not a good idea to visit a national park while displaying the decals. Something about no advertising allowed in the park. Luckily, they can be reapplied :)

I sent the above from my phone at the start of the day just to get the word out.
Now that I've got access to my laptop, the entire event is worthy of a write-up and maybe a mention in the Tesla Moments thread; maybe we should have a Carbon Raffle Moments thread. :)

We're visiting Acadia with my niece and nephew and came to the entrance station first thing this morning to get a pass. Station is up a hill and my wife takes the kids with me to follow because a couple was pulling out and started to ask about the raffle. I'm talking to them about 5-10 minutes, my wife long gone already, when two rangers walk up and asks me about the car and the raffle, I reach into the vehicle to pull out the handy postcards for them when they hit me up with it being illegal to advertise in the park. They were, I realized after the fact, testing me. They ask for my license and I guess call it in for a background check. I'm still a little bit confused by the sudden change of tone when they start to ask about the decals being magnetic. In fine Tesla form I tell them that the body is aluminum and the decals are adhesive - so I offer to remove them. They nicely tell me they can be reapplied once I'm out of the park. I must have apologized about a dozen times for my ignorance of their their regulations and they kindly let me off with a verbal warning after the license check came back with no outstanding axe-murderer issues.

So, if the situation escalated I was planning to call @Pollux to come and bail me out. Any chance I'd fall under the legal umbrella policy? :)

I'll stick 'em back on tomorrow night when we get done with our day's activities. No more parks on the agenda for the rest of the trip and the 4th is only just around the corner so looks like my window of potential criminal activity is limited.

Wow, interesting story re Acadia & national park rules! I would have behaved exactly as you did, since I had no idea that there could be any problem with a decal on a car pretty much anywhere. I mean, it's your/my car, right? Something about the rights of a property owner? Sheesh. Can't see where a nice guy with his family would be doing any harm. Double sheesh! I think we're all lucky that your sordid past has remained discreetly in Medellin.

As for bailing you out: no legal umbrella, but I'd personally get involved however I could! Not joking about that. Or I'd personally pay for your ticket or whatever. There's no way I'd attach any of that to Climate XChange for obvious reasons but neither could I just stand idly by when someone had stepped up to the plate and then taken a hit for the team. Grrrr!

We've got maybe a half-dozen vehicles running around with decals and this is the first time anyone has reported a problem. Many reports of decal vehicle drivers being approached by extraordinarily intelligent, discerning and sexy members of their preferred gender target but only your single problem report so far. :)

Alan

Many reports of decal vehicle drivers being approached by extraordinarily intelligent, discerning and sexy members of their preferred gender target but only your single problem report so far. :)

Alan
Okay, so then consider this your second problem post. I have had no such contacts to report. Are the decals supposed to be displayed misaligned or upside down to signal availability?:)
And as for my previous misadventures, let's just say that the past only comes out to play on the third full moon of a month.

• Funny
Reactions: Pollux
OK folks, we're getting down to crunch time. It's two weeks until the drawing and ticket sales deadline, and we've still got over 800 tickets to sell. Climate XChange's efforts are moving things forward, to wit, a public hearing on the two carbon pricing bills at the state house this afternoon. 800 tickets is an additional $200,000 to fund additional studies, organize additional hearings and briefings for legislators, and to continue and expand the State Carbon Pricing Network that is supporting and sharing information with similar efforts in 17 other states.

Please consider buying another ticket, or share the website on Facebook, Twitter, your favorite social media, email, megaphone, whatever. This is the final stretch and we very much appreciate your support.
-Peter

Climate XChange Carbon Pricing Awareness Raffle

While I'm thinking about it...

North Dakota & South Dakota

Ticket purchasers come from 48 of the 50 states! All we need is for someone in North Dakota and South Dakota to buy tickets, and we'll be able to report that the whole country is involved! :)

Anyone from ND or SD on TMC? Or anyone on TMC know anyone in ND/SD?

Thanks,
Alan

South Dakotan checking in here. I didn't realize that you were waiting on me. I participated in the first raffle a few years ago and I'll get a ticket ordered of this one today. ;)

Single-handedly flipping an entire State.... wow! :)

I couldn't help myself, I so love Teslas and the idea of giving away Teslas... I started asking myself, OK, so let's say @inputusername wins one of the Teslas, what are we going to do about delivering to him/her in South Dakota... so I just had to look up your address (from your ticket) on the tesla.com maps. So now I have to apologize for having a stereotype of South Dakota as not having anything Tesla in it because (a) you are very near a Tesla Supercharger and (b) there are more spread out in each direction along US-90! With other Superchargers planned for Chamberlain and Sioux Falls.

So your east/west mobility looks good. No problems road-tripping all the way to San Francisco or Boston. :)

North/south mobility is tougher. I see lots of residential and commercial chargers (plugshare.com) but no Superchargers until you get down to Omaha. So definitely do-able north/south but longer charge times required. Might invest in a $450 CHaDEmo adapter from Tesla so that you can plug into the "fast" chargers at Nissan dealerships. NEMA 14-50 chargers at KOA and similar campgrounds will be your friends.

Looks like you're about equidistant between the Minneapolis and Denver stores, but it's definitely a hike, isn't it? I wonder whether we could get Tesla to throw the vehicle onto a truck and deliver it to your driveway or a nearby parking lot, like they used to do in '12, '13, '14. If you win, of course. :)

In other words, if I were living in your town, I'd feel pretty good about cruising around town and around the country in a Tesla!!!! :)

Alan

True(*) story: great kids, they met through the raffle, fell in love over the decals, and got married shortly after I took this picture Saturday night. They plan to honeymoon in the Tesla that they hope to win in the raffle. They plan to name their first child CPAR ("see-par"). So sweet!

Alan

IMG_6336 (1).jpg

(*)In the same sense that the Earth is ~5000 years old and that human activity can't affect the planet's mean temperature.

Reactions: bhuwan