Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carbon Pricing Raffle -- Three Tesla Prizes, Three Cash Prizes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Pollux

Supporting Member
Details on website: 2017 Climate XChange Carbon Pricing Awareness Raffle

We're doing this to draw attention to and build support for enacting carbon pricing fee-and-dividend in Massachusetts and to set an example that we hope other states will follow (our national dialog is just a bit grid-locked, wouldn't you agree). We are also doing this to raise funds for use in our mission. We view the carbon emissions problem as a non-partisan issue and we operate as a non-partisan entity. We also love Tesla, Inc., -- the company, its success with a transformative product, the cars themselves, the owners, the pre-owners who are rooting for it. It is a huge joy to get to put someone (maybe up to three someones!) into a Tesla at the end of this Raffle!

We've done this before: The Perfect Tesla Raffle (thanks, S'toon!). The Grand Prize Winner, Al Nierenberg, had his ticket drawn at 12:05 a.m., January 1, 2016. He configured an S85D for $93,700
2016-01-18 Tesla Motors - Al Nierenberg - orderagreement_RNXXXXXXX_confirmed.png
and took delivery on it on March 16, 2016. He under-configured the car relative to the total value of the vehicle portion of the Prize ($110,450) and so received the difference as a check for $16,750, all paid for by Climate XChange. We also then paid the federal income tax on the Grand Prize, which was a $36,730 payment
2017-01-25 Internal Revenue Service - FY2016 Form W-2G - Grand Prize Winner.PNG
to the Internal Revenue Service. Total value to Grand Prize Winner Al Nierenberg: $147,180. We also awarded Prizes to 5 other Winners. If you're curious, click to see more about Climate XChange's 2015 Carbon Pricing Awareness Raffle.

This time, 2017, we're giving away three prizes that have Tesla components plus three cash prizes, total SIX PRIZES. All of these prizes will be given away no matter how few tickets are sold. Let me say that again: ALL PRIZES WILL BE AWARDED EVEN IF WE ONLY SELL ONLY A TINY NUMBER OF TICKETS. One ticket sold -- Grand Prize. Two tickets sold -- Grand + Second. Six tickets sold -- All Prizes.

Grand Prize, value to Winner of $160,000, as follows:
  • Tesla Model S or X @ $120,000
  • There is federal income tax due on that prize. We pay it for you so you don't have to. Payment @ $40,000
  • This prize is just like last year's Grand Prize, except just shy of $13,000 greater in value.
2nd & 3rd Prizes: we help you buy a Model 3, with total Prize value of $14,666 (2nd) and $8,000 (3rd). (If you don't want to buy a Model 3, you can take a cash alternative prize instead.) Here is how we help:
  • An early reservation. This reservation is an opportunity for an early invitation to configure your Model 3. Exact delivery dates will depend on the geographic location of the winner as well as their choice of Model 3 configuration. Tesla will deliver the very first Model 3 in California before moving east. If you were to reserve a Model 3 today, you'd likely be around number 400,000 in the queue. This reservation is probably approximately equivalent to a reservation during the first morning reservations were made available. Keep in mind that Tesla is the ultimate arbiter of production and delivery schedules, not Climate XChange.
  • Reservation deposit of $1,000 included.
  • Cash of $10,000 (2nd prize) or $5,000 (3rd prize). We think you'll use this money to defray the cost of the vehicle; perhaps for a downpayment, perhaps as part of reducing the cost of the car, whatever; you decide. The money can go straight to Tesla or straight to you.
  • Federal tax payment of $3,666 (2nd prize) or $2,000 (3rd prize). We make this payment on your behalf so you don't have to!
  • Ummm.... and let's not forget that the earlier you take possession of your Model 3, the greater the likelihood that the $7,500 federal tax credit will be available. Not to mention any applicable state incentives (note that Maryland just voted to put more funds into their program, see this thread).
4th, 5th and 6th Prizes are money: $2K, $1K and $1K respectively.

Here's what else you might want to know:
  • Ticket price: $250
  • Max tickets: 2,500
  • Drawing: July 4, 2017, approximately 7:30 pm @ Climate XChange HQ, Old West Church, 131 Cambridge Street, Boston, MA. You need not be present to win.
  • You may also see CarbonRaffle.org as well as ClimateXChangeRaffle.org. These are the same thing. We tend to use the first name in situations where people will hear it said and then have to type it in from memory; the second name is what we started with.
  • Webcast: yes, we will webcast the drawing. We had a horrible experience with Livestream last time and are definitely looking to do better this time. Please feel free to PM Pollux here on TMC if you have a suggestion.
  • Climate XChange legal facts: IRS-recognized Massachusetts-incorporated 501(c)(3) nonprofit, Climate XChange Education and Research, Inc., registered with the Massachusetts Attorney General's Office and with the Massachusetts Secretary of State. We operate the Carbon Pricing Awareness Raffle under the General Laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Part IV, Title I, Chapter 271, section 7A as further clarified by the Massachusetts Attorney General's Regulations Governing Raffles, 940 CMR 12.00 - 12.06. I am part of the Climate XChange raffle team, which operates under the supervision of two Board members and the Executive Director. You can find further legal details and links at the 2017 Carbon Pricing Awareness Raffle website / Raffle Details / 2017 Raffle.
  • Climate XChange is neither affiliated with nor sponsored by Tesla, Inc. Although we love them!
I live for questions! :)

Best,
Alan

FAQ for 2017 Climate XChange Carbon Pricing Awareness Raffle

Q: Is Climate XChange (CXC) really awarding all six prizes no matter how few or many tickets the raffle sells?
A: Yes.

Q: What if CXC only sells 1 ticket?
A: We award the Grand Prize only.

Q: What if CXC sells 2 tickets?
A: We award Grand Prize and 2nd Prize.

Q: What if CXC sells...
A: Aw, c'mon! I think you get the idea.

Q: Has CXC sold more than 6 tickets?
A: Yes.

Q: Has CXC sold more than 1,500 tickets as of 2017/04/27?
A: No.

Q: Has CXC sold more tickets than the number of Teslas in Oklahoma but fewer than the number in Arkansas!
Q: Oh, fer cryin' out loud! We've sold over 600 as of 2017/04/27. There! I said it!

Q: HEY! Last time you were all cagey about saying how many tickets the raffle had sold! Now, you're giving data!! Has Pollux been replaced with a new Pollux? What gives?
A: You guys killed me last time. I just couldn't keep up with all the questions about how many tickets sold, and when, and devious questions to try to winkle out this information. Not to mention everyone started posting their ticket numbers. OMG! I cracked under the pressure! So, now, from time to time, basically whenever I feel like it, I might publish the number.

Q: Can I configure a less expensive version of the S or X CXC imagined when setting up the Prizes?
A: Yes. You can receive cash out of the Prize, if you wish.

Q: So can I take out the full amount? Could I get $120K out of the Grand Prize, or maybe even $160K?!
A: Not so fast, buckaroo. For the Grand Prize, there's an alternative full-cash Prize of $100K. So if you want the Grand Prize, you get yourself a car. Could be a CPO, could be inventory, could be build-to-order (yes, yes, yes, do that one! I recommend build-to-order!), but you're going to wind up with a vehicle from Tesla. Could be an S or an X. And if your configuration totals up to less than $120K, we will send you a check for the difference. The federal income tax payment remains fixed at $40K, because one way or another you'll wind up with $120K of immediate value. For the alternative cash Prize of $100K, you're responsible for the taxes. The IRS will require us to do immediate withholding @ 25%, so you can either send us $25K (I don't know why you would do this) or have us deduct $25K and send it to the IRS on your behalf (this would seem to make the most sense); then we send you a check for $75K.

Q: What kind of car configuration was CXC imagining for the Grand Prize?
A: A maxed-out or close-to-maxed-out S or X that offered great performance but also great range. Essentially, a maxed-out regular vehicle without going into the P category. The idea of awarding the base vehicle at $70K or so was anathema to us. We want you to have a lot of choices about how to configure your Grand Prize.

Q: Can I add my own money to the Grand Prize?
A: Yup!

Q: If I add my own money to the Grand Prize, will you do something super amazing like also pay the federal income tax on the increased cost of the car?
A: You're cute. Nope! We're in the federal income tax payment "business" on your behalf at $40K. Period.

Q: Can I take a Model 3 as the Grand Prize?
A: <very serious face>We had a LOT of discussion about this possibility. We ultimately decided that there was too much difficulty figuring out when all of the Grand Prize awarding would be wrapped up. When would the Winner's Model 3 ultimately be delivered? What risk did we take that things would change in the intervening time? The Grand Prize is too big for us to take chances. We want the whole Grand Prize award thing wrapped up in calendar/fiscal year 2017. S and X are predictable at this point, Model 3 isn't.</very serious face> Maybe next time?

Q: But you're giving away Model 3s for 2nd and 3rd Prizes!
A: Yes and no. First, I don't think it's quite accurate to say we're giving away Model 3s. I wish, but no. With the Grand Prize, you can live entirely within our rules and receive a car that you didn't shell out any money to buy from Tesla or federal tax money. (You'll still be dealing with excise taxes and things like that, but that's small dollars compared to the bulk of the Prize.)

Instead, with 2nd and 3rd Prize, we're helping you. You most definitely still have to come up with some money to complete the purchase of the vehicle! We supply a lot of cash; the early reservations; the reservation deposits; and even federal tax payments on the value of the help we're giving you. So the 2nd and 3rd Prize Winners will probably receive the car much earlier than they would have otherwise and at a significantly reduced cost.

These two prizes may or may not be all wrapped up in calendar year/fiscal year 2017. We certainly hope so. The early reservation aspect makes us think that there's a shot at it. But we surely do not have any control over, or even insight into, Tesla's configuration, production and delivery schedules!! So these two prizes may not wrap up until sometime into 2018. Heck, for that matter, what if a Winner wants to wait for an AWD Model 3? From our standpoint, though, that's all manageable because we'll deliver all the pieces of the Prize to you in 2017 (reservation, deposit, cash, fed tax payment), then the rest is up to you.

Q: What if I don't want a Model 3 from the 2nd or 3rd prizes? Am I out of luck?
A: 2nd and 3rd prizes offer alternative all-cash Prizes. Check the website for details.

Q: What if I already have a Model 3 reservation?
A: Well, I guess that depends. One possibility is that you might cancel your reservation and reclaim the cash. If you think your reservation is super-early, maybe you cancel the reservation we give you and reclaim *that* cash. We think there are a lot of people who have reservations in the 100,000+ range for whom accelerating delivery of their Model 3 might be a nice, juicy prize. Not to mention all the people who don't have ANY reservation at this point! Oh, and I suppose another option is to keep your reservation and keep ours and ultimately get TWO Model 3s. That's probably the best answer, come to think of it.

Q: Is this an unusually generous prize pool? Why doesn't CXC just offer a $50K cheap-o Mercedes donated from a local dealer? Think how much more money you would take in for Climate XChange!
A: Well, yeah, you've got a point. It is an unusually generous prize pool! At least in my opinion. And costly, too, in the sense that we have to pay for the Prizes and none of them are donated to us. But it's worth it on multiple levels. First, these Prizes are very attention-getting! Second, they totally line up with our carbon reduction / carbon fee-and-dividend mission. Third, and perhaps more my personal opinion than an official position of the organization, these are far and away the best EVs available. You can replace an ICE in full (at least for many use cases) and you can roam the country on the Supercharger highways. Fourth, why SHOULDN'T the Prizes be awesome for the Winners?!?!

Q: Did your wife just come nag you about spending way too much time on the Raffle and not getting enough exercise?
A: Ummm...

Q: Isn't that ironic, given that she co-founded Climate XChange in 2012, which you should disclose somewhere, so that nobody can argue that you have a hidden bias as opposed to a right-out-there-in-your-face bias?
A: Yes. Marriage is a complicated business.

Q: So shouldn't you get your tuchis outside and take a walk around the block before she gets more annoyed at you?
A: I'm going, I'm going already! Sheesh!

Alan

P.S. Got more questions? You know where to post 'em.

A few pix... these are from the launch event for the raffle, held at Aeronaut Brewing, Somerville, MA on Saturday, April 15, 12-4.

IMG_7087.jpg

The crowd was a mixture of environmentalists, Tesla fans, ordinary people who walked in (and who got a free beer!), and a few political types.

Children were invited. Some of them sat down to enjoy a fine ale or two, others went over to Brooklyn Boulders for climbing and climbing and climbing. Or both.

IMG_7082.jpg

Here's a sweet picture that includes someone who is photogenic but shy. From left to right: Marc Breslow, CXC Research and Policy Director (and photogenic but shy), Massachusetts State Representative Jennifer Bensen, sponsor of H.1726 An Act [to] Reduce GHG Emissions, and Zaurie Zimmerman (scroll down the page), Member of Climate XChange Board of Directors.

IMG_5473.jpg

That's it for me for pix for right now. Maybe more later.

Alan

Q: There's a video, right? A fresh, humorous, clever video that engages the viewer while subtly conveying the carbon pricing and raffle messages, yes?
A: Of course!

I have to admit I didn't watch this video the first couple times I went to the site because I assumed it was some 3rd party video like the ones on the original raffle site but I finally did watch it and I'm very impressed with how well shot and funny it is! Lots of high production value! You guys put a lot of effort into this raffle from every angle. Great job! It's killing me waiting for the drawing!

Maybe next time?
I believe you had mentioned not personally doing another one. Will Climate-X-Change continue the raffle tradition after this one?

I have to admit I didn't watch this video the first couple times I went to the site because I assumed it was some 3rd party video like the ones on the original raffle site but I finally did watch it and I'm very impressed with how well shot and funny it is! Lots of high production value! You guys put a lot of effort into this raffle from every angle. Great job! It's killing me waiting for the drawing!

I believe you had mentioned not personally doing another one. Will Climate-X-Change continue the raffle tradition after this one?

Thanks for the positive review of the video, @boofagle. Our Executive Director Mike Green worked hard with the production company to make it happen on a low budget. GSD Rides provided the Tesla free of charge for the day of shooting.

As for whether we do another raffle, it will depend on the success of this one. If we don't sell out all 2500 tickets by July 4... so please help spread the word, and buy more tickets!

Thanks!
Peter Kirby
Director, CABA/CXC
www.cabaus.org, www.climate-xchange.org

Hi, @boofagle!

First, allow me to compliment you on your unusual wit, charm, intelligence and handsomeness! Only such a person could possibly have discerned the many fine qualities in our video that were so readily apparent to your talented eye! Thank you for your kind words!

As for doing another raffle.... I'm either 2-and-done or 3-and-done. But #3 would have to be over the top. As for what Climate XChange will do... well, I think everyone's focused on the one we're currently doing. And really most of us are focused on the legislation pending at the State House and building out support through various communities. I mean... not one... but TWO bills under consideration... the sponsor of one of the bills now serving as chairman of the committee that owns both bills... the President of the Senate, Stan Rosenberg, expressing positive signals... Charlie Baker looking at how the wind is blowing, needing to stay popular for re-election, thinking about where to put his political chips... Wow!

Hi all,
A few updates on the effort to implement carbon pricing in MA and elsewhere, the goal of this fundraising raffle:

Last week a study by the Harvard School of Public Health was released, showing that the proposed carbon pricing bills could save 340 lives from 2017 to 2040: New Harvard Study Shows Big Health Benefits of Carbon Pricing - Climate Action Business Association (CABA)

Recently the MA State Senate completed a series of 9 town hall style meetings across the state, called the Commonwealth Conversations. The final report won't be out for some time, but at the session I attended in Ashland, climate change and carbon pricing were the most-frequently cited issues by citizens who came to speak. And I have heard and seen reports on other sessions where they were one of the top if not the top topic of discussion.

Last week, at the presentation of the health study, I had a chance to speak with Senator Barrett (State Sen. Mike Barrett), sponsor of the Senate Bill 1821 (https://malegislature.gov/Bills/190/S1821) and recently appointed Chair of the Senate's Telecom, Utilities and Energy Committee. He said that Connecticut and Rhode Island are working on carbon pricing bills that would take effect if Massachusetts implements carbon pricing. CXC is working with groups in 17 states across the country to share lessons learned and support their efforts to pass carbon pricing: http://climate-xchange.org/state-carbon-pricing-network/

Thanks for your ticket purchases - please buy more and spread the word!

Peter
climatexchangeraffle.org

• Love
Reactions: Pollux and boofagle
If you were to sell out of tickets, the funds collected would significantly exceed the combined prize values. In this case, what would excess funds be used for? Guaranteeing future raffle funds? Efforts to move along carbon pricing legislation? To pay for services necessary to operate the organization (legal and otherwise)? Something else? Do I need to RTFM? I admit, I didn't really dive too deep into the website for information. Go ahead. Call me lazy. I am.

Dear Skotty,

Dare I say, a reasonable if not excellent question?

YES, we intend to sell out and raise funds significantly in excess of the combined prize values -- really, the combined prize values plus the taxes we have to pay Massachusetts (5%) and the credit card fees (3%) and our fixed expenses for accounting, legal, marketing and advertising. From a fundraising standpoint, that is indeed the point.

So as you want to know: what do we do with the funds we raise? Answer: education and advocacy for enacting carbon pricing legislation in Massachusetts. So that includes things like staff expenses (for example, we have a full-time policy director on staff who spends much of his day digging into legislation, talking with state Senators and Representatives and their staff), expenditures on grassroots operations, engagement with other environmental organizations (personal note: I feel as if this can be the most frustrating part of the whole thing), newsletters, our upcoming Lobby Day. Yes, this also includes things like accounting and legal expenses *separate* from the raffle itself (which I mentioned in the previous paragraph).

Also, overall we net less from the raffle than some people think we should because we have such an unusually generous prize pool. The typical raffle uses, say, a donated car from an auto dealer who gets a tax write-off and free advertising; and lets the Winner have the privilege of paying (in advance) for the immediate withholding of federal incomes tax on the prize. Those two "little" things substantially reduce a raffle's expenses.

So why do we fund such a generous prize pool and accept a lower return on the raffle? Multiple answers:
  • Attention-seeking that we can use for carbon pricing (notice how we cleverly named the raffle)
    • The issue
    • The key legislation in Massachusetts
  • The prizes totally fit with carbon pricing!
    • S or X, Model 3
  • Tesla S/X and soon 3 are the first truly practical EVs
    • Range, Performance, People and cargo capacity, Long-distance traveling with fast recharging, Appearance
    • Built to sell everywhere, not just built as a CARB compliance car
    • The first EVs that can completely replace an ICE for many common users and use cases
    • Just doesn't make sense to us to use a cheaper, more-limited EV
  • The awesomeness of the raffle can be used as a conversation-starter
    • Or maybe the craziness of the raffle, if that's how you see it; we don't care...
    • ...because you can start a conversation around a water-cooler or over the dinner table...
    • ...about this raffle that's giving away a Tesla plus tax payment...
    • ...and maybe, if we're lucky, someone will ask you, "why?" and you'll have the chance to say...
    • "Because they want to bring attention to Carbon Pricing and they are pursuing Carbon Pricing in Massachusetts"
    • ...and maybe you'll THEN have a 3-5 minute conversation on the topic and someone else will then have this concept in their heads (hopefully favorably)
  • And heck, if you think carbon emissions is BS and could care less about carbon pricing, hopefully you'll still see it's an awesome raffle with awesome prizes :)
Hope this all helps. And if I've left your question inadequately addressed, please let me know and I'll try again.

Thanks,
Alan

P.S. None of the Board, advisory, volunteer and member positions are paid, either for the raffle or in general. In fact, no one is paid for the raffle except for any external services and materials we require. These things are laid out in the various MA laws & regs which govern raffles based in Massachusetts. Also, to help evaluate my biases, you should know that I worked hard on the 2015 raffle and now the 2017 raffle; and that I'm married to the co-founder of Climate XChange (which was set up back in 2013).

P.P.S. If you DID want to RTFM, you should look at the website under Raffle Details -- use the toggles for Expenses and Legal Details. These are very exciting sections. Since I spent a lot of time writing them, I expect you to love them.

Reactions: ViviV
If you were to sell out of tickets, the funds collected would significantly exceed the combined prize values. In this case, what would excess funds be used for? Guaranteeing future raffle funds? Efforts to move along carbon pricing legislation? To pay for services necessary to operate the organization (legal and otherwise)? Something else? Do I need to RTFM? I admit, I didn't really dive too deep into the website for information. Go ahead. Call me lazy. I am.

Hi @Skotty, I had a response nearly drafted when I got called away from my laptop for a few hours. But Alan answered more thoroughly and humorously than I would have. I'll just add that while the raffle is well endowed with prizes and attorney/auditor help to ensure we are fully legal and compliant, the organization itself is very lean. For example, the office is up steep stairs below the belfry of a church, provided rent free and conveniently located a short walk from the Massachusetts State House on Beacon Hill so that our staff can go back and forth to meetings with legislators and their staffs.

So it's a donation-worthy cause, but with this donation you have the chance of winding up with one of three Teslas!

Dear Skotty,

Dare I say, a reasonable if not excellent question?

YES, we intend to sell out and raise funds significantly in excess of the combined prize values -- really, the combined prize values plus the taxes we have to pay Massachusetts (5%) and the credit card fees (3%) and our fixed expenses for accounting, legal, marketing and advertising. From a fundraising standpoint, that is indeed the point.

So as you want to know: what do we do with the funds we raise? Answer: education and advocacy for enacting carbon pricing legislation in Massachusetts. So that includes things like staff expenses (for example, we have a full-time policy director on staff who spends much of his day digging into legislation, talking with state Senators and Representatives and their staff), expenditures on grassroots operations, engagement with other environmental organizations (personal note: I feel as if this can be the most frustrating part of the whole thing), newsletters, our upcoming Lobby Day. Yes, this also includes things like accounting and legal expenses *separate* from the raffle itself (which I mentioned in the previous paragraph).

Also, overall we net less from the raffle than some people think we should because we have such an unusually generous prize pool. The typical raffle uses, say, a donated car from an auto dealer who gets a tax write-off and free advertising; and lets the Winner have the privilege of paying (in advance) for the immediate withholding of federal incomes tax on the prize. Those two "little" things substantially reduce a raffle's expenses.

So why do we fund such a generous prize pool and accept a lower return on the raffle? Multiple answers:
  • Attention-seeking that we can use for carbon pricing (notice how we cleverly named the raffle)
    • The issue
    • The key legislation in Massachusetts
  • The prizes totally fit with carbon pricing!
    • S or X, Model 3
  • Tesla S/X and soon 3 are the first truly practical EVs
    • Range, Performance, People and cargo capacity, Long-distance traveling with fast recharging, Appearance
    • Built to sell everywhere, not just built as a CARB compliance car
    • The first EVs that can completely replace an ICE for many common users and use cases
    • Just doesn't make sense to us to use a cheaper, more-limited EV
  • The awesomeness of the raffle can be used as a conversation-starter
    • Or maybe the craziness of the raffle, if that's how you see it; we don't care...
    • ...because you can start a conversation around a water-cooler or over the dinner table...
    • ...about this raffle that's giving away a Tesla plus tax payment...
    • ...and maybe, if we're lucky, someone will ask you, "why?" and you'll have the chance to say...
    • "Because they want to bring attention to Carbon Pricing and they are pursuing Carbon Pricing in Massachusetts"
    • ...and maybe you'll THEN have a 3-5 minute conversation on the topic and someone else will then have this concept in their heads (hopefully favorably)
  • And heck, if you think carbon emissions is BS and could care less about carbon pricing, hopefully you'll still see it's an awesome raffle with awesome prizes :)
Hope this all helps. And if I've left your question inadequately addressed, please let me know and I'll try again.

Thanks,
Alan

P.S. None of the Board, advisory, volunteer and member positions are paid, either for the raffle or in general. In fact, no one is paid for the raffle except for any external services and materials we require. These things are laid out in the various MA laws & regs which govern raffles based in Massachusetts. Also, to help evaluate my biases, you should know that I worked hard on the 2015 raffle and now the 2017 raffle; and that I'm married to the co-founder of Climate XChange (which was set up back in 2013).

P.P.S. If you DID want to RTFM, you should look at the website under Raffle Details -- use the toggles for Expenses and Legal Details. These are very exciting sections. Since I spent a lot of time writing them, I expect you to love them.

Thank you for that detailed response. It was more thorough than I deserved. :p Sounds like a worthy cause.

[Posting this in three threads, Perfect Tesla Raffle, Model 3 in Tesla Raffle, Carbon Pricing Raffle -- apologies, but if anyone does bite on this, we need to move fast, because my wife is in motion and she does NOT dawdle!]

Folks,

Quick question: anyone out there interested in putting decals on their cars for the 2017 raffle? They go on the sides or rear of your car; no harm to car; they advertise the raffle.

Can't mail these things, we think that's a federal felony. So we're taking advantage of pony express-style opportunities. In this case, my wife, Jessica, is driving up to Boston today for some meetings Friday through Monday for Climate XChange, Climate Action Business Association, and maybe some other stuff.

I'm sending this mail out way late, so she's already on her way -- into Connecticut by now.

She's following a typical route, US 95 then I think US 84 up through Connecticut to Massachusetts, and then US 90 East into MA. She'll reverse that route sometime Monday afternoon and/or Tuesday morning.

If you are interested in meeting up with her along the way and getting some decals, please let me know ASAP! Could be today, could be Monday/Tuesday.

Also, if you are around Boston, and willing to come into Climate XChange Headquarters (Old West Church, 131 Cambridge Street, Boston), let me know so we can work out a time.

As for what it looks like....

The decal, as developed by @PeterK (the handsome, labeled one is @PeterK, the other one is some guy who wandered in for a free beer):

View attachment 225672

The decal, on the side of @PeterK's X:

View attachment 225673

The decal can also be cut into strips, for the rear bumper, which may be best of all, as the people following you will be constantly reminded. :) I'd post a picture of that, too, but I'm short on time and would have to go edit the picture to blur the license plate. Bad enough that I'm using a pic of @PeterK's car *before* I ask him, don't want to add license plate rudeness on top of that!

Thanks for reading all this!

Alan

Thank you for that detailed response. It was more thorough than I deserved. :p Sounds like a worthy cause.

You're kind to say so!

Alan

P.S. As your "reward" for wading through this discussion, I send you this:

51553340391__7693B89D-EE92-4BDA-B44C-12EA808D5E2B.jpg

It's very loving, and we are glad we got it for our daughter, but we're still trying to figure out just what exactly it is. Leading theory: large naked mole rat.

You're kind to say so!

Alan

P.S. As your "reward" for wading through this discussion, I send you this:

View attachment 225675

It's very loving, and we are glad we got it for our daughter, but we're still trying to figure out just what exactly it is. Leading theory: large naked mole rat.

Yikes! Get those claws trimmed, if you haven't already. Probably a kennel dog (er...or mole rat) or something that didn't get enough freedom to run around and therefore it's claws have overgrown. The "quick" might have grown out further than normal too, so could take multiple trimmings over time before they are back to proper length. I think the eyeballs are supposed to be like that though. :-D

IMG_7306.JPG

Here's what I did on the back of my X P90D. Figured I'll have lots of people behind me to read it. :)

[Posting this in three threads, Perfect Tesla Raffle, Model 3 in Tesla Raffle, Carbon Pricing Raffle -- apologies, but if anyone does bite on this, we need to move fast, because my wife is in motion and she does NOT dawdle!]

Folks,

Quick question: anyone out there interested in putting decals on their cars for the 2017 raffle? They go on the sides or rear of your car; no harm to car; they advertise the raffle.

Can't mail these things, we think that's a federal felony. So we're taking advantage of pony express-style opportunities. In this case, my wife, Jessica, is driving up to Boston today for some meetings Friday through Monday for Climate XChange, Climate Action Business Association, and maybe some other stuff.

I'm sending this mail out way late, so she's already on her way -- into Connecticut by now.

She's following a typical route, US 95 then I think US 84 up through Connecticut to Massachusetts, and then US 90 East into MA. She'll reverse that route sometime Monday afternoon and/or Tuesday morning.

If you are interested in meeting up with her along the way and getting some decals, please let me know ASAP! Could be today, could be Monday/Tuesday.

Also, if you are around Boston, and willing to come into Climate XChange Headquarters (Old West Church, 131 Cambridge Street, Boston), let me know so we can work out a time.

As for what it looks like....

The decal, as developed by @PeterK (the handsome, labeled one is @PeterK, the other one is some guy who wandered in for a free beer):

View attachment 225672

The decal, on the side of @PeterK's X:

View attachment 225673

The decal can also be cut into strips, for the rear bumper, which may be best of all, as the people following you will be constantly reminded. :) I'd post a picture of that, too, but I'm short on time and would have to go edit the picture to blur the license plate. Bad enough that I'm using a pic of @PeterK's car *before* I ask him, don't want to add license plate rudeness on top of that!

Thanks for reading all this!

Alan

@ViviV & @Kickgas, thanks for hospitality for Jessica, thanks for tix, thanks for sporting the decals, thanks for support!!!!

@Skotty @ViviV - yes, poor pup's toenails are a problem. This turns out to be a complicated problem not because of pup but because the pup's mother -- my 19-year old daughter -- has been making some, um, shall we say, impulsive choices and now lives a thousand miles away with the sweet pup. I don't have as much control as I would wish. I believe all of the pup's basic needs (food, water, health, safety, affection) are being met but the nails are a particular concern. Wish me luck.

The pup's name, by the way, is Herr Doktor Professor Count Siegfried von Barkenstein. Some have referred to him as the runt of the litter but the rest of us know him as a distinguished graduate of the University of Heidelberg, sporting the dueling scars that are the hallmark of many a proud Heidelberg swordsman. His spirit is fierce and he has sent many a larger opponent fleeing, tail between legs. He allows his closest companions to simply call him, Ziggy.

Alan

@ViviV and @Kickgas, thank you again for sporting the decals. I especially love it on the Roadster!

I've been parking my X in the front driveway but I'm often out with the car. So I repurposed an old School Committee campaign yard sign we had put up for a friend, into a raffle yard sign. We get a lot of foot and car traffic passing by, so I figured I'd take advantage of it.

raffle yard sign.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Pollux and ModelX