Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carbon-sleeved Rotors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla web sight.

Attachments

• DD118139-2778-4C78-857E-954E45915423.jpeg
    DD118139-2778-4C78-857E-954E45915423.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 320
Actually Tesla winds carbon-fiber filaments around the rotor with very high tension, rather than pressing on a carbon sleeve. This holds the permanent magnet rotor together at very high speeds, even given the very different coefficients of expansion for ferrous materials vs carbon-fiber.

Reactions: croman and Darmie
I can't find any wear information so hopefully the carbon sleeve won't fail prematurely or catastrophically.

How would you expect to find any information on "wear" on a part that has been out for about 2 weeks?
This sleeve doesn't touch anything, so "wear" is not the general term that will be used. Fatigue would be the issue here. Thankfully, composites tend to be very good in fatigue.

And if it does, Tesla better not come out saying it is normal wear and tear.
If the sleeve fails at 20,000 RPM, you're going to be very lucky to be around to have a discussion with Tesla about your warranty status ;)

How would you expect to find any information on "wear" on a part that has been out for about 2 weeks?
This sleeve doesn't touch anything, so "wear" is not the general term that will be used. Fatigue would be the issue here. Thankfully, composites tend to be very good in fatigue.

If the sleeve fails at 20,000 RPM, you're going to be very lucky to be around to have a discussion with Tesla about your warranty status ;)
I wasn't referring to the production vehicle but rather tests Tesla or others have performed. I don't know all the technical terms but since the process seems so scientifically advanced, I wanted to find information on potential life cycle and whether heat or other stresses would affect the motor.