Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carbon Spoiler Separating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We picked up our new MYP yesterday, & all looked good. Today, after sitting in the sun, the ends of the carbon spoiler trim piece appear to be separating from the hatch. I attached a couple of pics; you can see that the left end is more separated than the right.

Has anyone experienced this? I'm thinking that with a small blob of the correct adhesive I can take care of this myself, rather than drive the hour each way to the SC & wait for them to do it. The stuff in there now is "stretchy", and appears that it may be a strip of double sided foam tape. Just a guess.

Any & all thoughts & suggestions are welcome!

Attachments

• IMG_0550.jpeg
    IMG_0550.jpeg
    370.3 KB · Views: 456
  • IMG_0551.jpeg
    IMG_0551.jpeg
    347.9 KB · Views: 292
Well known issue for folks. Several have had the spoiler replaced multiple times by Tesla. I have an aftermarket spoiler (RPM) and I had to take it back after the first install. Do a search as there are a couple of recommendations for a self fix. Shame that it happened right out of the gate for you. Not confident that Tesla will fix the issue so that it doesn’t happen again.

Reactions: Schulz1983 and dyau
This has been happening since the MY was brand new and people have posted about having it fixed 3 or more times and it still happening. You’re probably better off if you feel comfortable enough getting a really strong 3m mounting tape and remounting it yourself.

I honestly don’t understand how this hasn’t been resolved by now.

I'm on my 2nd replacement since owning the car. This time around it does seem to fit better but I have a feeling it's only a matter time it will separate at the ends. Both times Tesla replaced under warranty and with a new one each time.

I'm thinking that with a small blob of the correct adhesive I can take care of this myself, rather than drive the hour each way to the SC & wait for them to do it. The stuff in there now is "stretchy", and appears that it may be a strip of double sided foam tape. Just a guess.

Don't do that, you'll damage your paint. Setup a service appt. When you tire of replacements you can use a thinner tape.

We picked up our new MYP yesterday, & all looked good. Today, after sitting in the sun, the ends of the carbon spoiler trim piece appear to be separating from the hatch. I attached a couple of pics; you can see that the left end is more separated than the right.

Has anyone experienced this? I'm thinking that with a small blob of the correct adhesive I can take care of this myself, rather than drive the hour each way to the SC & wait for them to do it. The stuff in there now is "stretchy", and appears that it may be a strip of double sided foam tape. Just a guess.

Easy fix would be to buy some RTV silicone and adhere the ends back down. I did that and taped the corners down over a weekend to cure. Won’t hurt the paint and will hold better than the VhT tape. I think Tesla doesn’t give the tape enough time to cure (72 hours) before taking the tape off. However they install it anyway. I will post what I used. With Tesla I think you will be going around and around trying to get that spoiler replaced multiple times.
30ABA864-230B-42D2-ACB6-1CAE38DFD0E0.jpeg

^^I thought of using silicone but that is almost permanent. Cured silicone is strong as heck but it's real hard to remove when there's no surface exposed. Thus it begs the question, will I ever need to remove the spoiler? Probably not... but I'm not sure so I opted not to go that route. If you're going that route are you making a thread?

^^I thought of using silicone but that is almost permanent. Cured silicone is strong as heck but it's real hard to remove when there's no surface exposed. Thus it begs the question, will I ever need to remove the spoiler? Probably not... but I'm not sure so I opted not to go that route. If you're going that route are you making a thread?
Cured silicone will come off but I wasn’t to worried about it. My vehicle is wrapped in PPF so worse case scenario I would just have the hatch wrapped again. Clear coat is super strong and silicone wouldn’t pull clear coat. I believe all the Tesla ones don’t stay because they don’t tape them down to allow the VHT to cure. Honestly throwing away or selling the Tesla stock one is the best option. RPM Tesla makes ones that are curved like they should. Attached is the one I bought from RPM.
7042E46F-4EED-41FE-AC20-95DFA1054A2E.jpeg

Reactions: USC-Hawk

lol was this from the Paramus location?

Just noticed my second replacement separating yesterday. Service damaged the paint putting this last one on, so I’m feeling not great about going in for the next replacement, which will last another few months at best.

I love how this, of ALL things, is Tesla’s insurmountable challenge.

Well known issue for folks. Several have had the spoiler replaced multiple times by Tesla. I have an aftermarket spoiler (RPM) and I had to take it back after the first install. Do a search as there are a couple of recommendations for a self fix. Shame that it happened right out of the gate for you. Not confident that Tesla will fix the issue so that it doesn’t happen again.
Did you get a replacement spoiler from RPM? I bought the carbon fiber one from them and will install it on my MY when it arrives.

Cured silicone will come off but I wasn’t to worried about it. My vehicle is wrapped in PPF so worse case scenario I would just have the hatch wrapped again. Clear coat is super strong and silicone wouldn’t pull clear coat. I believe all the Tesla ones don’t stay because they don’t tape them down to allow the VHT to cure. Honestly throwing away or selling the Tesla stock one is the best option. RPM Tesla makes ones that are curved like they should. Attached is the one I bought from RPM. View attachment 704916
I ordered that exact one. Still waiting for my car, but how was the install and do you have any tricks to make the install a success?