Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carbon Spoiler Separating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered that exact one. Still waiting for my car, but how was the install and do you have any tricks to make the install a success?
The install went find. The most critical detail would be sticking the top before the bottom. I adhered the bottom well and then struggled with the top. I actually had to take a plastic rod with squeeze clamps along the seam to hold it down. Now that it is bonded I have no issues. I made the mistake of pushing into the spoiler which effectively “opened” up the spoiler. ( if that makes sense?) I think the correct way is to stick the top and then stick the bottom.

The install went find. The most critical detail would be sticking the top before the bottom. I adhered the bottom well and then struggled with the top. I actually had to take a plastic rod with squeeze clamps along the seam to hold it down. Now that it is bonded I have no issues. I made the mistake of pushing into the spoiler which effectively “opened” up the spoiler. ( if that makes sense?) I think the correct way is to stick the top and then stick the bottom.
had mine replaced. I got a really experienced mobile guy and he said the problem is the installers at the factory(and a little bit the design). If a rookie doesn't know how to do it then it's a problem. He said there is a certain process and technique to it. He replaced mine and has been perfect. Something to do with a rookie installer starting at one end instead of the middle....? and not applying the adhesive properly

I got mine installed this weekend. Went really easy and the fit was perfect. I just made sure that I used Gorilla Tape to apply lots of pressure for the 72hrs that was instructed. It’s on there really good and time will tell

I was about to get my OEM spoiler replaced for a second time when I got rear-ended. The body shop is going to transfer the spoiler onto the new liftgate. I'm hoping they will do a better job than Tesla keeping the spoiler from lifting. If it lifts again I might just have it removed. I kind of think the MY looks just as good without a spoiler.

I was about to get my OEM spoiler replaced for a second time when I got rear-ended. The body shop is going to transfer the spoiler onto the new liftgate. I'm hoping they will do a better job than Tesla keeping the spoiler from lifting. If it lifts again I might just have it removed. I kind of think the MY looks just as good without a spoiler.
I personally like the spoiler look, and anyone can install the spoiler better than tesla, so don't worry.

Reactions: flstcgranucci
A new personal best for me, I had my OEM spoiler replaced a second time just last month for separating, and noticed today it’s separating again. Definitely won’t bother going the warranty service route again.

When my lift gate was replaced after getting rear-ended, the body shop transferred the spoiler onto the new lift gate. It was noticeably tighter against the left gate than when Tesla installed it, and so far has been fine after about a month and a half. Certainly in better shape than it was a few weeks after delivery and another few weeks after a replacement by Tesla. I think those with this issue should just have a good body shop reattach it instead of bringing it to Tesla.

Do you know which, if any, aftermarket ones DON'T do this? Every one I've purchased from RPM Tesla, Evvanex, and Teslarati have done exactly the same thing. It shouldn't be so hard to get the mold right.
Not sure. I went with a cheap brand on Amazon and while it has lifted a little in the corners I was able to put more tape down in those areas when I installed it and it hasn't continually gotten worse.

you have more photos of your performance plus spoiler?

I'm getting my OEM spoiler replaced tomorrow because it came with a big scratch on the underside when I took delivery. The curvature of this OEM one fits the car well and there is no separation, because it does not have tape on the last three inches of the spoiler on either end... I guess this is Tesla's solution to this separation problem: No tape, no separation! LoL.

I think I'll just tell them to put the new one in the trunk tomorrow. I'll decide for myself if it fits right and whether I want to put it on at all. Maybe I'll just sell it.