Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carbotech Brake compound thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dave, after roughly 72,000 kms, the Ranger said I had about 30% material left on the stock pads...you're right that the stock pads last a long time, but the difference in performance is huge...well worth the trade off of cutting short the life span of the stock pads imo...

It's on my list as the next upgrade. I've been waiting for the stock pads to wear out, but I'm not sure that's ever going to happen!
My stock pads only had 6k on them and I wouldn't even care if they had 10 miles on them when I did the upgrade. They're junk and can't handle the additional weight of the Roadster to stop safely. Anyone still running the stock pads is risking a front end collision with the Roadster. And that will cost way more than the brake pad upgrade. Hence why I had the long discussion early on in the brake thread and settled in on the CarboTech AX6's after talking to Roger Reid's experience with them autocrossing.

I was so happy to toss the crappy and dust generating Brembos in the trash.

The brakes were my first and highest priority in the upgrade list for the Roadster.

Right, I wouldn't wait to upgrade them. You just have to get the car wet and the next day it doesn't stop worth a damn. The AX6 pads scrub off the rust on the first brake application. As far as I'm concerned you want these for safety reasons. Just like the HID upgrade. Sure you can get by without, but is it worth the risk?

For people that never track the car you'd still recommend AX6 or their other product? Thanks.

I wanted the most bite I could get since I'm compensating for a braking system that was under par in a very quick vehicle, hence my choice for the AX6 compound. Strider and others are happy with the Bobcat 1521 street compound. Dust is to be less with the latter, but the AX6's don't accumulate dust anywhere near the junko brembo. Also they say the 1521 will have less squeal, but honestly that hasn't been an issue in my daily use of them. They're quiet as can be. If you're hammering down on them, full acceleration then brake really hard continuously they'll start to make some noise.

The AX6 are just plain better than the stock pads, regardless of whether you track the car or not. I think I've had one squeal from them, ever, and I used to get squealing all the time with the stock pads. I get less dust, not more. And they have good bite and stop the car very reliably; stock pads not so much.

I'm sure the 1521 is good too.

For people that never track the car you'd still recommend AX6 or their other product? Thanks.
I'm a happy 1521/Bobcat user. No dust at all and no squeals ever. I can get the ABS to kick on at will so they bite just fine.

I don't know of anyone that has tried both compounds on the same car so no one can honestly answer your question. I went w/ Carbotech's recommendation that for a daily driver to use the 1521/Bobcat compound and I am happy. Night and day compared to stock. They bite hard, first time, every time; no scary pushing the pedal and car not slowing down episodes.

I don't think you can go wrong either way. If you want the maximum amount of stopping power and don't mind the occasional squeal and some dust (though less than stock) then get the AX6's. It's my opinion that the 1521/Bobcat will stop just as hard as the AX6's for the first stop (ie when cool) but the AX6 will fade less with heavier use like you get at the track/autocross. For me as a daily driver I almost never use my brakes - just use regen. But every few days I get one of those 80mph to 0mph stupidity exercises on the freeway. But I never get 3 or 4 of those in rapid succession so that level of fade resistance is not necessary for me.

What are the Carbotech model #s to use? I'm looking at 1521s and I *think* the numbers are:

Rear: CT491L-1521
Front: CT109L-1521

Can someone confirm for me, please? I have a v2.5 non-sport if that matters.

Those appear to be right. You can verify on CarboTech's website:
Carbotech Performance Brakes: Products-Lotus Brake Pads & Shoes

Goto the Elise section, you'll see the CT109L listed for the Front and CT491L for the Rear. The brake compound identification is appended to the end.

I'm using carbotechs and they always have some rattling/squeaking with mine. I had Dietschwerks install them so I assume they know what they're doing - some people had rattling issues before but then added a sticky compound to the pad back to stop it.

I'm using carbotechs and they always have some rattling/squeaking with mine. I had Dietschwerks install them so I assume they know what they're doing - some people had rattling issues before but then added a sticky compound to the pad back to stop it.

Rob showed me this anti-rattle/squeal shim that they run on the Elise. Same concept as the sticky compound applied to the backs of the pad. Trying to find them online but not seeing them at the moment. Is that what Dietschwerks installed or did he go with the sticky goo?

Rob showed me this anti-rattle/squeal shim that they run on the Elise. Same concept as the sticky compound applied to the backs of the pad. Trying to find them online but not seeing them at the moment. Is that what Dietschwerks installed or did he go with the sticky goo?

Since mine have an occasional rattle, I took a look at the website provided by Doug_G. From the accompanying photos, it looks like the pads get applied in a different location than I was expecting. It shows them being applied to the calipers adjacent to the edge (not the back, like with the orange sticky brake quiet goop) of the brake calipers. Take a look, maybe I'm missing something.