Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carbotech Performance Brake Pads for Model 3 - Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to share my experience with Carbotech Pads on the Model 3. They offer pad shapes for both Base and Performance Model 3, and offer them in many different compounds (8 to be exact). You can view the selection here: Brakes

I went with the RP2 brake pads because I wanted something that would both perform well and last a long time. I coupled them with MPP rotors for the Performance calipers. I ran them for one day on VIR Full and another on VIR Grand. Accumulated a total of 2 hours of on-track driving time. The pads started at 16.3mm and wore down to 14.5mm. They showed no measurable wear to the rotors.

On the street they were nice and quiet. No noise at all when using regen, Hold, and occasionally the friction brakes. I didn't notice any abnormal noises on the track either.

They got very hot (to be expected), over 1,200f. I did get a very small amount of brake fade coming into T1 once. This was at the end of two hot laps, and they came right back thereafter. Moving to a compound with a higher thermal limit (XP12 or higher) would resolve that one concern. I was running on 200TW tires, so if you are running R-Comps or Slick you would want to step it up to something like the XP20.

The pad is very nicely designed, it uses the entirety of the backing plate unlike the stock pads which have a lip. It is also thicker than the stock pads by a little over 1mm. This did not present any issue even when using the thicker MPP rotors FWIW.

They are priced very reasonably (roughly $250 per axle) compared to alternative options. Carbotech is well known in the industry for providing quality brake pads so you're not taking a gamble on a company you've never heard of here.

Overall, I think 95% of people will find that Carbotech is offering a pad compound that suits you well.

IMG_20200222_164618.jpg
IMG_20200222_164646.jpg
IMG_20200305_151857.jpg
IMG_20200222_164711.jpg
IMG_20200305_120909.jpg
IMG_20200222_171645.jpg
IMG_20200304_143420.jpg

Thanks for the report.

I ran Carbotechs on my Audi S4 for a track weekend - XP-12s and XP-10s. They performed well initially, but using them in anger produced enough heat in the braking system to cause problems, at least in that application. In retrospect I probably should have slowed down a bit to give them some time to cool down, but "red mist" being what it is.... ;-)

I'm planning on a track event (2 days) at the end of April and have been trying to decide how much to do to my braking system to prepare for that. My guess is that I'll do a total of 3 track days (days, not events) this year. I'm thinking just pads and fluid - what are your thoughts?

I'm using the XP10s and have only done a couple of trackdays with them, but they've performed well so far. I feel they are quite similar to RB XT970s.
I've got another day coming up next week on a track where the stock pads overheat afer 2-3 laps.
Now we all have estimated brake temperatures etc. recorded in track mode it will be interesting to share data.

It's an in-between of the XP10 and the XP12 as far as friction and Mu are concerned (from what I can see). The benefit is that it lasts longer.

I have seen some figures which suggest RP2 is closer to XP20 than XP12, but that's not confirmed. There may be some testing happening with all the Carbotech compounds at some point which will give some more useful data.

Did you experience any rattle / clunking noise from the pads? I installed a set of XP12 in the rear and after an hour of spirited driving I started hearing some clunking noise from the rear right side.

While drive back home, the clunking intensified, and sounded almost like a drive unit issue. When taking a slight turn or applying the smallest amount of brake pressure, the clunking would go away, and it would immediately come back when driving straight (with no brakes applied). I switched back to the OEM pads and the clunking is gone.

I'm sure I messed something up during the install, just wanted to see if anyone has any feedback. On the side with the noise, I could not easily fit the pad in the caliper, so I scraped a bit of the paint from the mounting ears of the pad with a screwdriver. I was then able to push the pad in by hand with a bit of force.

Did you experience any rattle / clunking noise from the pads? I installed a set of XP12 in the rear and after an hour of spirited driving I started hearing some clunking noise from the rear right side.
There are no retaining springs on these pads. Did you use anything to keep the pad stuck to the caliper? I use disk brake quiet which seems to work well.

While drive back home, the clunking intensified, and sounded almost like a drive unit issue. When taking a slight turn or applying the smallest amount of brake pressure, the clunking would go away, and it would immediately come back when driving straight (with no brakes applied). I switched back to the OEM pads and the clunking is gone.

I'm sure I messed something up during the install, just wanted to see if anyone has any feedback. On the side with the noise, I could not easily fit the pad in the caliper, so I scraped a bit of the paint from the mounting ears of the pad with a screwdriver. I was then able to push the pad in by hand with a bit of force.

I did not experience such noise. It took some effort to squeeze the pads properly into the tabs, my guess is one of yours wasn't fully seated?

@MasterC17 do you have the long pedal with these pads? It looks like quite a bit of pad transfer from your last pic in post #1. When I get that look with my XT970 & RB rotors I have the long pedal feel that's not confidence inspiring. Wondering if a more aggressive pad would solve that, or if I just need to get used to it. I have my eyes on the upcoming MPP BBK but that likely won't be in the budget any time in the near future, so trying to figure out the best way to move forward with what I already have.

@MasterC17 do you have the long pedal with these pads? It looks like quite a bit of pad transfer from your last pic in post #1. When I get that look with my XT970 & RB rotors I have the long pedal feel that's not confidence inspiring. Wondering if a more aggressive pad would solve that, or if I just need to get used to it. I have my eyes on the upcoming MPP BBK but that likely won't be in the budget any time in the near future, so trying to figure out the best way to move forward with what I already have.

I definitely hit the pads thermal limits once on the front straight at VIR and had a long pedal, but they quickly cooled down and the pedal returned to a "normal" position.

Ultimately, I suspect the rotors are too thin for the weight of the car. You can definitely make it work, but like you said, it's not super confidence-inspiring.

Of course, it also varies greatly by the track you are driving and your personal driving habits. If Tesla had equipped the Performance with 32mm rotors we would probably be having much better results.

All that being said, an XP20 or XP24 on the front end may also make it a non-issue. From what I can gather, the thermal limits of the XP20/XP24 are quite a bit higher than the XT970.

If I were to buy another set of pads, I would put RP2's on the rear and XP24's in the front.

• Informative
Reactions: destructure00
There are no retaining springs on these pads. Did you use anything to keep the pad stuck to the caliper? I use disk brake quiet which seems to work well.

Upon further inspection, there's a lot of play in the pad that goes in the caliper:
Carbotech XP12 Tesla M3P rear (with sound)

Not all 4 rear pads are exactly the same - some fit more snugly than other. I put the pads the fit the tightest in the calipers (not the one in the video above), but after an hour of driving, it started rattling again.

I'll try brake quiet to see if it helps.

Upon further inspection, there's a lot of play in the pad that goes in the caliper:

Not all 4 rear pads are exactly the same - some fit more snugly than other. I put the pads the fit the tightest in the calipers (not the one in the video above), but after an hour of driving, it started rattling again.

Are yours from Carbotech Europe or Carbotech U.S.?

That is odd, mine definitely did not have that play when I installed them. I would need to pull the caliper and inspect them to be sure, but I think my tabs were a different design.