Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Careful Where Park

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We recently had a situation where our car could not get recovered in the normal ways. Later diagnosed as a 'car computer' failure, there was no screen and no comms via app or Tesla remote diagnostics - doors, including walk away lock/unlock, windows, seat controls, brake lights all worked though - and possibly some more. I spent far too long in the presence of Tesla contracted recovery and a Tesla Tech but learned a few things. It took 2 attempts over 2 days to recover the car and ironically the recovery was made easier by it briefly behaving itself and not needing plan D in the end.

Under most circumstances, this would have been a standard recovery job, but it didn't turn out like that, even though Tesla had been forewarned of our particular circumstances - an upward sloping drive, with car on the flat at the top. But a 15 tonne recovery truck was dispatched (see picture below) - the really long ones not the more common 7 tonne ones.

As there was no access to the screen, the car was going to have to be moved on rollers/skates. But the recovery guy immediately said that it was too steep for rollers and I guess from his plan of attack, that getting the truck on the drive would be a problem - spoiler alert, it was going to be...

So first plan of attack was for recovery guy to go through the same diagnostics that I had gone through, then when same non response, go for the 12v battery, popping the little flap on the front bumper and popping the frunk. A few checks on battery and left it on a secondary battery via jump lead. Alas still no response after a while, but the car was left connected to aux 12v for most of the next couple of hours.

He then moved on to HV side of things. Rear seat popped. Difficult to see exactly what he did, but by the connector on drivers side being uncovered and the spanner in his hands that was the size of the nut of the connector, I am guessing that HV was disconnected. I will say now that I personally thought that whilst I am sure he was trying to be helpful, he went further than I felt comfortable with as he was not a Tesla Technician.

This all took some time, including various phone calls from Tesla to check on progress. Kudos to Tesla, they were pro active, but almost impossible to contact when we/recovery guy needed to contact them - getting cut off before 4:30 as local service centre was closing and 20+ minutes on hold to Tesla which is what I had twice earlier in the day - same number/option as new owners would have been calling to find out where their software update, referral code or premium connectivity was. There was another option to use if you were in a dangerous location, but we were not.

Eventually, when all else had failed, an attempt was made to get the truck on the drive. Hats off to the skills of the driver, but the slight curve and camber of the drive meant that the loading ramp could get anywhere flat enough to get a car on the ramp - even with additional ramps.

So, we are at the point where we pick up on this thread. A car that could not be recovered, even with rollers.

Eventually we got through to Tesla again and discussed the options. A plan was concocted. To get a ranger (they introduce themselves as Tesla Tech) to the car to run some diagnostics directly on the car and see what that would bring. I was happy for that to happen next day. However Tesla recovery also wanted to send a recovery truck, even though it was shown that a different truck was needed. Tesla requested photos of the site.

It was past 6 by now and recovery guy had been on site for 3 hours or so. Things were left until confirmation of next steps. Not long after Tesla back on the phone. A Tesla technician would come round next morning at 7am.

7am arrived, and so did the Tesla Tech, followed by the same 15 tonne recovery truck and driver that couldn't recover the car the previous day.

And guess what, Tesla Tech got in the car and it popped into life! Everyone was confused, but it gave the opportunity to drive the car off the drive and on to the recovery truck. It made it to the service centre not long after.

Even though the car was now functioning, it was diagnosed as a 'car computer' fault. Replacement car computer ordered and ready to fit next day. Part TLA,HW3.0.CAR.COMP,RHD, eCall- PROVISIONED (1462554-S5-H) - apparent an issue with the 'gateway'.

The car finally on the 15 tonne recovery truck, 24 hours after initial breakdown - the whole flat bed of the truck slides off the chassis, making the truck and space needed for the car to be around twice the length of the truck. Right, the previous days failed attempt to recover the car.

1631782203687.png

tl;dr

So, with all this time in the presence of recovery guy and Tesla tech I was able to learn a few things.
  • A broken down car cannot be moved without special procedures being undertaken - these are in the manual
  • Even with a dead computer, doors phone unlock, walk away lock, seat controls, windows, brake light all work, and probably other things too.
  • You can pop the frunk by applying power to the connectors in the front bumper as per the manual.
  • Even with 12v disconnected, doors open and windows all work - didn't test the above - they may have too
  • Rollers/skates are needed to move the car in the event of a computer failure/dead screen - moving the car with drive train locked will damage the car
  • You cannot use rollers/skates in some circumstances such as steep slopes - as in our case
  • If you have a second car and/or need access to areas that may be limited when parking a Tesla, ensure that you leave enough room to give access - our car could not be moved for 24 hours - thankfully our second car was not blocked in.
  • In multi story car parks, motorised skates would be an option - so cars in multi story car parks can be recovered even if truck cannot gain access
  • Even with no computer access, Tesla Tech/Ranger should be able to locally connect to the car and unlock the 'hand brake' to allow the car to be moved
  • If screen is dead but you can get app access, you may still be able to get the car into drive by 'starting' the car in the app - not an option for us
  • If screen/computer is dead and you do not have Pin To Drive enabled, you may still be able to get the car into drive - not an option for us
  • Tesla remote diagnostics are left totally helpless if they cannot get remote access to the car - as was the case with us
  • Tesla remote diagnostics fully advocate the two button reset + foot on brake reset procedure. When asked why, it was for added security if things misbehave during a reset
  • You may be required to perform the reset button press for several minutes - make sure your fingers are comfortable - mine were turning white by the end!
  • A 'car computer', aka MCU2 can be replaced without losing settings (including lifetime trip) if the original is in the position where it can be backed up by service
  • Tesla phone numbers can have very long hold times even when you need them most - they do have priority option for unsafe cars but this was not applicable to us. Unfortunately the other main breakdown option is shared with those calling with non breakdown issues.
Whilst a major inconvenience, this all happened at home so not a major issue. It would have been a different story had I been away from home. Not sure what would have happened if car did not temporarily wake on second recovery attempt. But Tesla were mostly excellent (albeit repetitive at times) within the limitations of their phone resources, the latter probably doubling the amount of hands on time needed by myself and recovery driver.

We would have lost the car for 3-4 days, but as we had by chance another service visit booked that week, it was at service centre a little longer and in the end we were without use of the car for 7 days. All's well that ends well.

Last edited: