Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Careful with Skyline case friendly charging docks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered both the universal case friendly universal phone guides and case friendly charging dock from Skyline Products (Hello Skyline Products). I liked the idea that it might allow the phone to be docked if I used a thicker case. I was actually very impressed with the apparent quality of the charging cable over the OEM one. The cable diameter appeared much thicker, as well as it had a more low profile 90 degree turn on the USB-A end versus the straight OEM one.

Unfortunately within a couple of minutes of docking my phone I smelled an electrical burning smell, not unlike the smell from a toy slot racing car. I immediately pulled the cable out and noted a wisp of grey smoke coming from the USB-A end of the cable. I have not asked Skyline Product for a replacement, at this point I would not feel comfortable leaving any cable they sent me plugged in. Could be a one off defect, but wanted to share my experience just in case.

I went back to the OEM Tesla one. I have been using the USB-C Tesla supplied cable without a problem since the Pixel 2s came out. I just had wanted to use the Skyline one with hopes of being able to use the Google Fabric case on the charger. I wasn't trying to stir anything up, just wanted to let be people know my experience so that they could be careful if they choose.

• Helpful
Reactions: skyline
I ordered both the universal case friendly universal phone guides and case friendly charging dock from Skyline Products (Hello Skyline Products). I liked the idea that it might allow the phone to be docked if I used a thicker case. I was actually very impressed with the apparent quality of the charging cable over the OEM one. The cable diameter appeared much thicker, as well as it had a more low profile 90 degree turn on the USB-A end versus the straight OEM one.

Unfortunately within a couple of minutes of docking my phone I smelled an electrical burning smell, not unlike the smell from a toy slot racing car. I immediately pulled the cable out and noted a wisp of grey smoke coming from the USB-A end of the cable. I have not asked Skyline Product for a replacement, at this point I would not feel comfortable leaving any cable they sent me plugged in. Could be a one off defect, but wanted to share my experience just in case.

This is completely unacceptable on OUR product and we will be immediately switching cable suppliers to ensure this never happens again. In addition 100% testing procedures will be implemented for all cables going forward.

Furthermore we will send out a notice to all buyers of USB-C docks and offer refunds to anyone with this issue or general disappointment with the product performance.

This is the first reported issue, but even so, we will no longer be using this cable supplier because we, as well as our customers, expect 100% quality.

Anyone with any concerns or questions by all means please feel free to contact us at.
[email protected]

Thank you and we apologize for letting you guys down. We'll make this right!

Last edited: