Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carfax Report? [does a minor repair at a body shop appear on carfax?]

FB49

Mar 18, 2019
Whidbey Island Washington
Several weeks ago a young fellow backed his F350 Ford pickup into our parked Model 3. He actually only nudged our M3 at less than 1 mph (the onboard cameras caught it all on video) but his trailer hitch ball left a deep dimple and very slightly cracked the paint on the front fascia. My closest Tesla Service Center recommended a local body shop for repairs, where they replaced the fascia, and everything looks and works like new again. But now I'm wondering, because body work was performed - IS there a Carfax report floating around out there that shows my M3 was repaired due to an accident? Could this report potentially lower the value of my car should we ever decide to sell it or trade it in on a newer model Tesla?

idonotmatch

Dec 19, 2019
NJ
I'm fairly certain this would populate on a Carfax report. The question around the value of the car is probably a bit more nuanced - did you document / photograph the damages / repairs?

FB49

Mar 18, 2019
Whidbey Island Washington
I'm fairly certain this would populate on a Carfax report. The question around the value of the car is probably a bit more nuanced - did you document / photograph the damages / repairs?
Everything was absolutely documented including accident video, accident timeline, Police incident number, names, phone numbers, email addresses, phone calls with times and dates, estimates, itemized repair parts list, and final invoice (over $1600). Everything was conducted through our insurance companies and we had no out of pocket expenses (except half a tank of gas for the rental car they provided at no charge).

idonotmatch

Dec 19, 2019
NJ
Everything was absolutely documented including accident video, accident timeline, Police incident number, names, phone numbers, email addresses, phone calls with times and dates, estimates, itemized repair parts list, and final invoice (over $1600). Everything was conducted through our insurance companies and we had no out of pocket expenses (except half a tank of gas for the rental car they provided at no charge).
That's great - I would say that helps mitigate the impact on resale of it appearing on a Carfax. With that being said, you'll always run into potential buyers who will use it as a crutch.

jackie.mp3

May 20, 2021
Houston
Yes if you have a police incident number then chances are it will be on the Carfax. Basically what happened on my Mustang, luckily I'm taking advantage of used car selling prices currently that way my car isn't worth 2 dollars.

trm2

Apr 3, 2016
CLE
It will only show up on Carfax IF the body shop reports to Carfax. Insurance companies and police departments don’t report to carfax.

S&B's M3

Jan 10, 2021
USA
One of the many reasons why people who trust implicitly when a vehicle carfax reports "no accidents" are misguided.
I 100% agree. On the 2nd day of owning my 3 (2019), I was fiddling with the radio controls and clipped a curb. I bounced off the curb and stopped. Very little body damage per se' (small curb scrape and dent on the rocker panel) but did almost $20K worth of wheel, body, and suspension damage. This was all completed by a Tesla approved rip-you-off repair shop. As of today, it's still not on carfax. That said, carfax is really for the consumer, dealers, auto ins, and other more official users another company's report, C.L.U.E. and LexisNexis, if I recall correctly. Also, since there was no property damage, no police report was taken or required.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC