Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carfax Report? [does a minor repair at a body shop appear on carfax?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Several weeks ago a young fellow backed his F350 Ford pickup into our parked Model 3. He actually only nudged our M3 at less than 1 mph (the onboard cameras caught it all on video) but his trailer hitch ball left a deep dimple and very slightly cracked the paint on the front fascia. My closest Tesla Service Center recommended a local body shop for repairs, where they replaced the fascia, and everything looks and works like new again. But now I'm wondering, because body work was performed - IS there a Carfax report floating around out there that shows my M3 was repaired due to an accident? Could this report potentially lower the value of my car should we ever decide to sell it or trade it in on a newer model Tesla?

I'm fairly certain this would populate on a Carfax report. The question around the value of the car is probably a bit more nuanced - did you document / photograph the damages / repairs?
Everything was absolutely documented including accident video, accident timeline, Police incident number, names, phone numbers, email addresses, phone calls with times and dates, estimates, itemized repair parts list, and final invoice (over $1600). Everything was conducted through our insurance companies and we had no out of pocket expenses (except half a tank of gas for the rental car they provided at no charge).

Everything was absolutely documented including accident video, accident timeline, Police incident number, names, phone numbers, email addresses, phone calls with times and dates, estimates, itemized repair parts list, and final invoice (over $1600). Everything was conducted through our insurance companies and we had no out of pocket expenses (except half a tank of gas for the rental car they provided at no charge).
That's great - I would say that helps mitigate the impact on resale of it appearing on a Carfax. With that being said, you'll always run into potential buyers who will use it as a crutch.

Yes if you have a police incident number then chances are it will be on the Carfax. Basically what happened on my Mustang, luckily I'm taking advantage of used car selling prices currently that way my car isn't worth 2 dollars.

One of the many reasons why people who trust implicitly when a vehicle carfax reports "no accidents" are misguided.
I 100% agree. On the 2nd day of owning my 3 (2019), I was fiddling with the radio controls and clipped a curb. I bounced off the curb and stopped. Very little body damage per se' (small curb scrape and dent on the rocker panel) but did almost $20K worth of wheel, body, and suspension damage. This was all completed by a Tesla approved rip-you-off repair shop. As of today, it's still not on carfax. That said, carfax is really for the consumer, dealers, auto ins, and other more official users another company's report, C.L.U.E. and LexisNexis, if I recall correctly. Also, since there was no property damage, no police report was taken or required.

It will only show up on Carfax IF the body shop reports to Carfax. Insurance companies and police departments don’t report to carfax.
If Police are involved, it will 99.9% appear on a CarFax. Police don’t actively report to CarFax, but CarFax pulls info from State gov’t agencies. That’s how CarFax is aware of police Accident reports, Theft, Number of owners when registering at the DMV, new Titles being issued. Sometimes even the specific Title# is on the CarFax. CarFax knows what States the car was driven in. CarFax knows Emissions Test results. In summary, CarFax pulls info from Police, DMV, Environmental (EPA).

CarFax also obtains info from Insurance companies (Salvage, Total Loss). It’s not up to the Body shop. CarFax pulls info from the Computer Software, that Body shops use. There are stories of people visiting body shops to simply obtain a written Estimate. And that triggers a damage report on the CarFax. Even if the CarFax is clean, a Mechanic will notice an accident during a Pre-Purchase Inspection (PPI). Thereby, diminishing the value of your trade-in. The CarFax may be clean, but the AutoCheck tainted.

Reactions: rpiotro