TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Carfax

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Grisik, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Grisik

Grisik Member

Does anyone have the ability to run a Carfax ?

2. Layo

Layo New Member

I have a couple of Carfax reports remaining in my account. What's the VIN you looking at?

3. Grisik

Grisik Member

5YJSA1E21GF157182
    2017 S75D

• Like x 1
  4. Chancellor32

Chancellor32 Member

looks clean on autocheck, registered in IL. 1 owner.

5. Grisik

Grisik Member

Thanks

• Like x 1
  6. Don TLR

Don TLR Active Member

How did you get that without paying?

7. Chancellor32

Chancellor32 Member

I have free access through my work.

8. Chancellor32

Chancellor32 Member

Lived in KY for 2 years and miss that place!

9. 1375mlm

1375mlm Member

Hey @Chancellor32! i know it's been a while since this thread has seen any posts, but I was just shopping for a used Model S and have come across a deal that seems too good to be true. Would you mind looking a vin up for me, if you still have access? Thank you!
    5YJSA1H14EFP40653

2014 P85D

10. Chancellor32

Chancellor32 Member

I can do this first thing tomorrow, out of the office today!

• Like x 1
  11. 1375mlm

1375mlm Member

Ah man. It was a scam. 2014 P85D selling at 31,500, fair market is ~50,000... should have figured. But thanks for your quick response!

i ended up looking up the website creation date, business phone number lookup, and history. All came out extremely sketchy. Address was of a residential house, website created a month ago (despite "11 yrs in business"), no history selling any cars at all (0 reviews). Guy on the phone said he only accepts wire transfers.

Just in case anyone see's this and also has encountered the website, I know it's a small chance, but beware and stay away from Rhode Auto Sales – License#: UCAR035157

• Like x 1
  12. HotDog

HotDog New Member

Thanks for posting this. I was looking at a x90d from this same person. Communication was very sketchy. I did get a car fax report and a lot of pictures. Deep down I knew it was too good to be true. My guess is stolen identity?

13. 1375mlm

1375mlm Member

Glad I could help!

My guess is he's using a fake name and address. Address pulls up a residential house, and phone number has no link to a business or anything similar.

His website has pictures of his "staff" actually from a GMC dealer website. He said he's been "in business for 11 years" but his sketchy website was just created a month ago.

Seems like this isn't his first time doing this. Whenever his website gets thrown around too much on forums/internet for being sketchy, he probably scraps it and starts fresh with the same template, but different names/address.

So many red flags that kept coming up... I even reported it on Autotrader but the listing is still active