TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Cargo Area Liner Mat for Easy Cleaning

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by weccman, May 11, 2013.

1. weccman

weccman Member

When I got my Model S last October, we had a problem. I wanted to keep the interior nice and my wife wanted to be able to let our dog come along with us on our newly-encouraged adventures. She solved the problem by creating something we call the BackMat. I posted these photos at post 800 under Owners Delivery Stories, Photos, and First Impressions, letting folks know that Roseanne was willing to make a few more BackMats for Model S owners. Gypsy in the Model S.jpg IMG_3567.jpg

Here are the specs on this product: Tesla Model S BackMat :
    Custom made durable cargo area carpet liner and protector
    Precisely fits back cargo compartment of Tesla Model S with seats up or down
    High quality polyester fiber made from 100% post consumer recycled plastic bottles
    Tough but light weight indoor-outdoor carpet
    Mold, mildew, and stain resistant
    Excellent color-fastness and UV protection
    Vacuum or shake out, rinse with a hose, spot clean with mild detergent, air dry
    Self adhering to Tesla's carpet with velcro-like attachments at strategic points
    Easily allows vehicle seats to be moved up or down without repositioning the BackMat
    Priced at $100 plus shipping (estimated $15) and available in split seat style (to allow only one seat down) for additional $10

If any TMC members are interested in this solution to how to keep the Model S pristine while still taking your canine friend along, you can e-mail [email protected].

Here is one more picture of the BackMat made in a taupe color: IMG_3994-1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

After setting this thread up, I just discovered that Tesla has created a weatherproof mat for the back cargo area (now out of stock) that sells for $200. It will be a better solution for those who need a waterproof mat and do not need coverage to the sides of the compartment. The advantage of our BackMat solution is that it covers the sides of the cargo area (protecting from dog hair) and the backs of the second row seats so that they can be folded down for larger cargo area that is also covered. It is also a bit less expensive. Our BackMat allows easy access to the side cubbies and the rear trunk well.

2. joshuaeven

joshuaeven Member

3. stevej119

stevej119 Member

This looks like an incredible product deserving of a bump! I found this thread doing a search for liners as I carry my mountain bike in the back of my Model S and would like to protect the interior. Are you still making these?

4. Francis Lau

Francis Lau P-1456

I am interested too. Got 2 fuzzy dogs.

5. rpo

rpo Member

I'm interested as well!

6. PlanB

PlanB Banned

Pretty sweet. Might get more traffic in the For Sale section.

7. Runs Kwh

Runs Kwh Member

Is it possible to get it in a black fabric that matches the interior? If so, we'd be interested in getting one.

8. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

Do you still make these? I would also be interested in one in black.

9. MarkS22

MarkS22 Member

Interested but suggestion: Can you create a folding lip that lays flat but can be folded out to cover the rear bumper. This way, when the dog jumps in, there's no risk of scratching? Could also be helpful if loading or unloading objects that might scratch the exposed surface along the entrance. As it is now, it's great protection for when the dog is already in the car, but not getting in and out.

10. doctorwho

doctorwho Member

That's a great idea

11. benf

benf Member

I emailed a few days ago but didn't hear back. Are you still making these? :)

12. hippo

hippo New Member

I'm also interested to know this.

13. benf

benf Member

The answer is yes. I bought mine about 3 days after posting that and got it a few weeks later. Works really well and my dogs love it :)

14. modelx007

modelx007 Member

Does a website exist to order? How do you store it when not in use?

15. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

I posted on April 30th and I'm still waiting to order :(

16. benf

benf Member

You have to email her, she doesn't check the forums apparently.