Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cargo box for the Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need a little extra storage room for weekend road trips with my family. Has anyone installed a hitch cargo box on their Model Y? I’m considering the Stowaway2 and wondering how well it works. In particular, any issues with the swing-away box blocking the rear hatch as it opens?

With the receiver's vertical load limit, I don't know how practical a hitch-mounted box would be. A roof box may be a better option (since, unlike the MX, you can use one with your MY).

Speaking for myself, the issue with storage isn't related to weight, but volume. My kids' bulky crap that we end up taking on road trips would come in under 100lbs...and I've been specifically looking at the same box as OP. However, I would prefer a lighter one if I can find it.

Would be great to have some official numbers for range reduction between a top and hitch mounted cargo carrier though.

Last edited:
Speaking for myself, the issue with storage isn't related to weight, but volume. My kids' bulky crap that we end up taking on road trips would come in under 100lbs...and I've been specifically looking at the same box as OP. However, I would prefer a lighter one if I can find it.

Would be great to have some official numbers for range reduction between a top and hitch mounted cargo carrier though.

It is a volume issue for me as well, plus I’d rather not block up that gorgeous roof with a roof carrier. (I must admit it makes me nervous to have that load on the glass roof. I’m sure the engineering is sound on it, but still..)

I saw a review somewhere on the efficiency of a roof rack versus a hitch box. The rear hitch solution yielded greater efficiency due to aerodynamics. I’ll see if I can locate it....

Reactions: JohnSnowNW
I’m considering a box for xc skiis and snowboards. Loading those things, snow covered and with sharp edges into the car - is never a good idea..

I’m considering the Thule Vector Alpine.. it’s expensive but looks really slick..

It is a volume issue for me as well, plus I’d rather not block up that gorgeous roof with a roof carrier. (I must admit it makes me nervous to have that load on the glass roof. I’m sure the engineering is sound on it, but still..)

I saw a review somewhere on the efficiency of a roof rack versus a hitch box. The rear hitch solution yielded greater efficiency due to aerodynamics. I’ll see if I can locate it....

Found it:

In a nutshell, the trailer hitch location saves 30-50 km of range versus the top carrier location, plus it is less noisy.

• Helpful
Reactions: JohnSnowNW
I need a little extra storage room for weekend road trips with my family. Has anyone installed a hitch cargo box on their Model Y? I’m considering the Stowaway2 and wondering how well it works. In particular, any issues with the swing-away box blocking the rear hatch as it opens?

I have a Stowaway that I've used with my pick up truck and motor homes for years. They are great! When you swing it away, it will definitely not interfere with the hatch. I haven't tried it on my Y yet but it isn't a lightweight so I would assume it will have a significant range effect.

"Pak Mule, Stowaway2, X-1." Man, the fancy names sure charge big. Harbor freight has these for way under a hundred bucks.

or

I take paypal for saving you big $$$. 😁