Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cargo capacity in 7-seat configuration

Orbsitron

Feb 19, 2017
Seattle
Hi TMC community!

I know we can't possibly know the answer yet, but I thought I'd put it out there - I'm curious what the cargo capacity of the Model Y will be with the 7-seat configuration. I believe the capacity of the Y in the 5-seat config is 66 cubic feet of storage, but for my family, I think the 7 seat configuration is going to be the better bet, if we get a Y (I'm also considering an X).

Similarly, I'm curious what the towing capacity will be. I have a heavy boat and so the X is a better option for towing. For short distances, twice a year, I'm curious if the Y will be able to do the job.

OK, let the discussion and speculation begin :)
Jared

jboy210

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
Hi TMC community!

I know we can't possibly know the answer yet, but I thought I'd put it out there - I'm curious what the cargo capacity of the Model Y will be with the 7-seat configuration. I believe the capacity of the Y in the 5-seat config is 66 cubic feet of storage, but for my family, I think the 7 seat configuration is going to be the better bet, if we get a Y (I'm also considering an X).

Similarly, I'm curious what the towing capacity will be. I have a heavy boat and so the X is a better option for towing. For short distances, twice a year, I'm curious if the Y will be able to do the job.

OK, let the discussion and speculation begin :)
Jared

If you really think you need 7 seats, I would get an X. The Y looks pretty small in the last row. I am pretty sure someone posted the dimensions in the main Y thread.

Reactions: Fiddler

Orbsitron

Feb 19, 2017
Seattle
Now that the Y is out, does the owner's manual state the cargo capacity in the 7 seat configuration or are they waiting until they produce the 7 seat configuration to specify that?

HugoBoss

Aug 4, 2017
Kleinburgh
We have four kids in a model X. I really want a model Y as a second car. my wife drops kids to school, I pick them up. I don't think it would work for us. The kids are 9 and under. Three of them are still in boosters and car seats. As they grow I can see them needing more room, especially the third row. sometimes I wish the x was a bit bigger. If we had 3 kids I can see the Y working. It seems roomy as a five seater.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC