Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cargo Capacity or Thereof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm. So I have gotten to check out the X pretty extensively and have am stuck thinking that I'll have to wait until they offer conventional rear seating. Meaning I need all rear seats to fold flat to make a floor. The X is a great people hauler, but I just don't know how I can get large dog crates, or my video gear in it. Video gear is stored in Pelican style cases and basically cubic.

I can actually get quite a bit in my MS with the seat folded, but I would have to wedge the cases in the X (which isn't going to happen). People are pretty surprised what I slide out of the back of a my MS, and even the frunk.

Anyone think that Tesla will rethink the seat design?

The general consensus is that there will eventually be a version of the MX that includes folding seats. But there are a lot of consensuses around here. The cargo situation seems to be a sticking point for most of us - some of us can work through it but some (like you) have specific needs that can't be accommodated with the MX.

I've got a trailer and the tow package for mine. My hauling needs are mostly occasional lumber and appliances. The trailer is probably a better solution as far as keeping the interior of the MX clean, and being able to carry a lot more. But it doesn't work at all for your video gear.

Model Y might have folding seats sooner than the Model X... we can hope.

It is like the X misses it by an inch. Maybe they, or Musk, will take this to heart, and go in to triage mode. Be like other car manufacturers and have a short lived gull winged car, and then get reasonable and fix that with sliders and fold down seats.

model x cargo mode.jpg

This is an interesting picture showing the "Cargo Mode" of the Model X, which is when the second row gets moved up all the way.

This has probably been covered in the fold-down seat thread (that I was not able to keep up with) but I think Tesla missed the mark on the 3rd row seats by not making them fold down forward and also fold/stow backwards into the well at the back (a la the Honda Odyssey Touring). The third row configuration is similar to the X but gives a lot more flat cargo space in the back. I also have a trailer to haul small stuff, but it is much easier to just go get a couple of 12' 2x6s than have to dig the trailer out and get it ready to use.

35202525_SS08_441x294.jpg

Picked up my son at college a couple of weeks ago. I should have taken photos, but I brought him, his GF, two of her bags, and a slew of items for him including a hockey bag (in the frunk) and hockey sticks (we have 6 seat option).

I warned him that what didn't fit would be burned, since I refused to hear "I told you so" from my skeptical wife. Everything fit and we took turns inhaling. We got caught in nasty Route 95 construction traffic, but with AP, didn't care and had a nice, relaxed conversation.

It was air. My son has to take drug tests for his summer internship and both kids aren't too much into smoking anyway. I gave it up ages ago; I decided that anything that made me think that the Moody Blues were awesome couldn't be good for me. Youngsters who have never heard of the Moody Blues, just trust me.

@goneskiian, I would have said breathing, but I wanted to emphasize that we had to coordinate expanding our chests by inhaling, as otherwise . . .

It was air. My son has to take drug tests for his summer internship and both kids aren't too much into smoking anyway. I gave it up ages ago; I decided that anything that made me think that the Moody Blues were awesome couldn't be good for me. Youngsters who have never heard of the Moody Blues, just trust me.

@goneskiian, I would have said breathing, but I wanted to emphasize that we had to coordinate expanding our chests by inhaling, as otherwise . . .
Sorry for piling on with @ohmman! Would have helped if you were in Colorado or Washington. :p;)

The image was definitely an appropriate one. I'll be doing much the same anytime I can make stuff fit inside that I'm not so sure about.

Reactions: GottaGetRidOfICE
Totally understand the "inhaling". My wife was very skeptical too that all of our luggage will fit. Our daughter finished college and all of the suitcases were her stuff to bring home. And in the flight I was preparing myself mentally if everything didn't fit to either do two trips or call Uber.
So when we got done loading the X, "inhaled" a big one :cool:

Had an occasion to load my Model X this week with:
3 - 29" hard shell suitcases
1 - 26" hard shell suitcase
3 - 21" soft shell roll-ons
2 - backpacks
2 - ladies handbags
4 - humans

And everyone was comfortable for the ride back from the airport. :)

What seating configuration you had? From the pics it looks like a 7 seater. Are you suggesting you were able to fit all of this in the cargo space behind the third row?