TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Cargo Carrier Luggage Rack for the X?

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by jay-bay, Apr 17, 2017.

1. jay-bay

jay-bay Member

Does anyone have any recommendations on which cargo carrier to get for the Model X? My family of 7 will be doing some vacationing this summer and will need some extra storage so I thought something like this would be nice. luggaerack.jpg

Any suggestions?

2. DriverOne

DriverOne Supporting Member

There are recent other threads about this. Note that the X's hitch is designed to support 120lbs, so an aluminum carrier is a good idea. The carrier you picture is, I guess, 50-60lbs on its own.

3. jay-bay

jay-bay Member

Thanks for the heads up, DriverOne. I'll do a search.

4. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

Search the forum for StowAway2. That's the storage solution I like best, and it's weather-tight and lockable. You can also swing it away to open the rear hatch without having to un-hitch it. And I'm very dubious about that 120 lbs limit for the hitch when the maximum tongue weight is 500 lbs. There has been a lot of discussion in the forum about that as well.

5. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

I have one very similar to the image above. If you can find a lighter aluminum one, you should get it, because of what @DriverOne wrote and because it won't rust. Some also come with a light-kit so that you can plug into your X for added safety - that was important to me.

6. loganintx

loganintx Member

7. gfb107

gfb107 Member

8. mongo

mongo Member

The 500 pounds is specified as applied a maximum of 8 inches from the receiver. An unsupported carrier produces torque far higher than the trailer does (longer lever arm).

9. Yinn

Yinn Member

Do you need it to fold?

If so, the Curt aluminum is one of the lightest for it's size - 60"x20"
    Amazon.com: CURT 18100 Tray-Style Cargo Carrier: Automotive

There's some lighter ones that are smaller, and I saw some that are under 20lbs if you don't need it to fold, but I can't recall where...

10. ryantank

ryantank Member

@loganintx It looks like this cargo carrier is about 70 pounds, and the bag is about 9 pounds. That leaves you with only about 40lbs. free to put luggage on. Did you stay within that limit or risked exceeding the 120lbs. limit?

11. Halcyon

Halcyon Member