Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cargo Carrier Luggage Rack for the X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have any recommendations on which cargo carrier to get for the Model X? My family of 7 will be doing some vacationing this summer and will need some extra storage so I thought something like this would be nice.
luggaerack.jpg

Any suggestions?

Does anyone have any recommendations on which cargo carrier to get for the Model X? My family of 7 will be doing some vacationing this summer and will need some extra storage so I thought something like this would be nice. View attachment 223293

Any suggestions?
Search the forum for StowAway2. That's the storage solution I like best, and it's weather-tight and lockable. You can also swing it away to open the rear hatch without having to un-hitch it. And I'm very dubious about that 120 lbs limit for the hitch when the maximum tongue weight is 500 lbs. There has been a lot of discussion in the forum about that as well.

I have one very similar to the image above. If you can find a lighter aluminum one, you should get it, because of what @DriverOne wrote and because it won't rust. Some also come with a light-kit so that you can plug into your X for added safety - that was important to me.

Search the forum for StowAway2. That's the storage solution I like best, and it's weather-tight and lockable. You can also swing it away to open the rear hatch without having to un-hitch it. And I'm very dubious about that 120 lbs limit for the hitch when the maximum tongue weight is 500 lbs. There has been a lot of discussion in the forum about that as well.

The 500 pounds is specified as applied a maximum of 8 inches from the receiver. An unsupported carrier produces torque far higher than the trailer does (longer lever arm).

I've had this cargo carrier rack and weather proof bag for a year now. I'm about to use it again for our summer trip to florida.
I just used the rack yesterday to haul a dozen bags of topping for my front yard.
Cargo Carrier - Amazon.com: Pro Series 63152 Rambler Hitch Cargo Carrier for 2” Receivers: Automotive
Weather Proof Bag - Amazon.com: ROLA 59119 Rainproof Cargo Carrier Bag 59" x 24" x 24" (20 Cu Ft): Automotive
I can fit A LOT of stuff in this bag, including full size suitcases.

@loganintx It looks like this cargo carrier is about 70 pounds, and the bag is about 9 pounds. That leaves you with only about 40lbs. free to put luggage on. Did you stay within that limit or risked exceeding the 120lbs. limit?