Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cargo Container - Thule, Yakima, Other?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

GolanB

Supporting Member
Sep 22, 2018
NYC
I went ahead and ordered the Tesla Roof Rack today, and my next order of business is to find a solid Cargo Container to mount to it.

Has anyone had any luck mounting Thule, or Yakima storage containers to the roof of their Model 3 - using the Tesla Roof Rack System?

- I realize that these vendors produce cargo boxes that are generally compatible with most installations, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

- I'd like to make sure that I'm adding at least an additional 15 Cubic Feet of storage (perhaps even 21) and still have clearance to open the rear trunk while mounted.

- While I'm at it -- is there any significant difference between brand name companies, and the cheaper versions available online at Walmart, aside from aero-dynamics, and one-sided vs. two-sided access? The brand names can run an additional 300-400$, and I'm wondering if the difference is worth the extra money. Most of the time, these will be in storage, and we will probably make use of it up to 3 times per year.

Thanks!

I just mounted my Tesla racks this weekend. I also added my Thule Circuit bike racks which attached easily. And by the looks of it, my Thule Pulse Box will mount just fine, too. The clamping system on the box is meant to be universal for both round and aero bars. (That said, the box is pretty tall and I may want to get something a little more aerodynamic.)

Reactions: GolanB
I just mounted my Tesla racks this weekend. I also added my Thule Circuit bike racks which attached easily. And by the looks of it, my Thule Pulse Box will mount just fine, too. The clamping system on the box is meant to be universal for both round and aero bars. (That said, the box is pretty tall and I may want to get something a little more aerodynamic.)

Thanks for the response. I found a Fellow Model 3'er with the following configuration yesterday while visiting Bear Mountain.

They were using a SeaSucker Monkey Bar Rack, and Rhino Rack Storage Container. I think the configuration works, but I chose in the end not to go with the SeaSucker (its actually a bit more expensive) even though it would have been transferable to other vehicles because of the offchance the additional stress on the glass would cause me problems down the line. There have been 4 cases of complaints with rear-glass fractures on the Model 3, but it is unknown whether or not the SeaSucker actually caused the issue. I had my rear glass fracture on its own without any help from a rack ;)

IMG_6852.jpg

IMG_6856.jpg

I have the OEM Tesla roof rack installed and one very important thing to consider is the [non-adjustable] very-forward position of the Tesla crossbars if you're looking to get a longer box. I had a Yakima Rocketbox Pro 11 that I thought would work, and while it *technically* did, I wasn't comfortable with the overhang over the windshield. The picture below is with the Yakima box as much towards the rear of the car as possible; after doing research on the adjustable mounting positions of Yakima and Thule, they didn't have any better options (for long boxes at least). After back-and-forth with etrailers.com (they were awesome - would literally go into the warehouse and talk with the manufacturers to get dimensions and measurements I asked for), the INNO boxes had the most flexibility with positioning. I ended up getting INNO Wedge 665 and it works great - barely overhangs the windshield but no where near the trunk when open. I need to take a picture next time I have it mounted.
img-0195-jpg.433713

If you're looking at more square boxes for cargo storage, this won't be as much of an issue.

Attachments

• IMG-0195.JPG
    IMG-0195.JPG
    345.6 KB · Views: 2,615
  • Informative
Reactions: GolanB and Watts_Up
Thanks for the feedback so far - please keep it coming!

One thing that just occurred to me is that I may be able to get away with using an Amazon Basics Rooftop Cargo Carrier Bag since we're just packing clothing, and various odds and ends (not skis, snowboards, etc.).

These bags are available with 15 cubic feet of space and parallel the amount I can get with a Cargo Box. They're also (mostly) waterproof (including rain, snow/ice) - but the difference is - they cost only 50 bucks! Even if I had to replace once a year, it would be well over ten years before I'd spend the equivalent amount, and I can fold it up, and put it away when it's not needed. We are also not planning on staying parked anywhere midway that might expose us to getting items stolen.

I'm going to order one together with an anti-slip protective roof mat (some users on Amazon suggested getting one in order to protect the surface of the car, and the bag itself which may move around while driving) for another 10 bucks.

Thanks for the feedback so far - please keep it coming!

One thing that just occurred to me is that I may be able to get away with using an Amazon Basics Rooftop Cargo Carrier Bag since we're just packing clothing, and various odds and ends (not skis, snowboards, etc.).

These bags are available with 15 cubic feet of space and parallel the amount I can get with a Cargo Box. They're also (mostly) waterproof (including rain, snow/ice) - but the difference is - they cost only 50 bucks! Even if I had to replace once a year, it would be well over ten years before I'd spend the equivalent amount, and I can fold it up, and put it away when it's not needed. We are also not planning on staying parked anywhere midway that might expose us to getting items stolen.

I'm going to order one together with an anti-slip protective roof mat (some users on Amazon suggested getting one in order to protect the surface of the car, and the bag itself which may move around while driving) for another 10 bucks.
What was your experience after going this route?