Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cargo cover for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I carry tools and laser levels all the time in my Y. They don't fit in the lower storage area (oh, that's gone anyway) . Having a cargo cover is HUGE peace of mind when in a client's home, or eating lunch somewhere while in the job.

No need at all. Had one in the 2017 Model S. Sometimes I would forget that it was not down and would get in the way of seeing. Couldn't drop it until you opened the trunk. Not enough room in the Model X to have one and it would surly get in the way. No cover in our 2020 Model Y. Love opening the trunk and getting right to things without any shelf getting in the way. Big no for me. Don't miss it, don't need it.

I think I'd rather "keep them guessing", instead of being able to easily see thousands of dollars worth of tools and lasers, there for the taking. As far as convenience, everything I put in the back slides in right under the cover, without ever needing to move it. No trouble at all.

• Funny
Reactions: mangrove79
I want to get a trunk cover to see if it helps block any extra road noises emanating from the trunk area. Also to deter thieves since they are less likely to try a smash & grab if they can’t see anything worth the risk. My friend’s car just got broken in to via a smashed trunk.

What do you guys think about this?

Looks interesting. I ordered ModelYShelf2 a few days ago ModelYShelf.2. It’s already been shipped. He has been making trunk shelves for EV cars for a while. It is also made of material which blocks / absorbs sound. I went with the carpeted version rather than leatherette (fake leather) since I’d think the leatherette wouldn’t block as much sound from trunk area.

I initially ordered a cargo cover before getting the Y but returned the cover after seeing how dark the factory hatch glass is. I added 70% tint for more heat rejection and can’t see what’s in the trunk from the outside. Get it if it brings you extra peace of mind but the cover wasn’t as necessary as I first thought.

I personally don't think it's needed. The factory tint on the back glass is way more than sufficient.

My previous car (Subaru Ascent) came with one and it never left the under-floor cargo area. I didn't even remember having it until cleaning out the car to be sold.