Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cargo cover not as good as expected

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I know what U meant but if U don't mind sharing with a pic then the rest can learn. Thanks
3DB26756-7B48-4A8F-8943-7EB7E0AD389F.jpeg

Here you are!

• Helpful
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
I feel like many of you do. I received the Freemont build at the end of December. At first I liked the cover, but over the past two weeks, I find that it does get in the way and is even difficult to remove. I feel bad, because it just seems to be a waste of a lot of material. This should have been optional or not included.

I haven't seen a Model Y without this folding cover, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but does anyone know if other parts were installed in the cargo area for the cargo mat? Are the pieces to the left and right of the cargo door needed if we decide not to use the cover?

I feel like many of you do. I received the Freemont build at the end of December. At first I liked the cover, but over the past two weeks, I find that it does get in the way and is even difficult to remove. I feel bad, because it just seems to be a waste of a lot of material. This should have been optional or not included.

I haven't seen a Model Y without this folding cover, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but does anyone know if other parts were installed in the cargo area for the cargo mat? Are the pieces to the left and right of the cargo door needed if we decide not to use the cover?
At first I did not like the folding cover, but after using for 2 months I am used to it. Most of the time I leave it like the pic that Ts91 showed, then pull it straight out when I need 100%coverage , and push it in resting on the 2 side rails

Reactions: gr2020
At first I did not like the folding cover, but after using for 2 months I am used to it. Most of the time I leave it like the pic that Ts91 showed, then pull it straight out when I need 100%coverage , and push it in resting on the 2 side rails
I wonder if this was intended or if we're re-engineering their engineering, lol. I do the same too. Showed my wife and she looked at me funny. She used to drive a Lexus RX350 with the retractable cover.

I wonder if this was intended or if we're re-engineering their engineering, lol. I do the same too. Showed my wife and she looked at me funny. She used to drive a Lexus RX350 with the retractable cover.
This. My wife also looked at the Tesla shelf and was, "Meh." Her car, the Prius Prime (my old car), came with the retractable cover (same type as in Lexus, and she had one of those also in her Lexus), and those covers are 1000% better engineered and quality than the piece of crap Tesla placed in the Y lately. That said, when we're on a trip in the Y, we'll put that thing in there and use it to whatever level of usefulness it might offer.

This. My wife also looked at the Tesla shelf and was, "Meh." Her car, the Prius Prime (my old car), came with the retractable cover (same type as in Lexus, and she had one of those also in her Lexus), and those covers are 1000% better engineered and quality than the piece of crap Tesla placed in the Y lately. That said, when we're on a trip in the Y, we'll put that thing in there and use it to whatever level of usefulness it might offer.
Not the best BUT not too bad either. We get used to it. In fact for MYLR it's "dark" enough back there

I'm pretty sure it was added for privacy and road noise reduction. I wouldn't ever use it to place items on so I also wouldn't rate it poorly for this function since I don't believe it was the intention. I know in our Model S's if I ever pull the cargo cover for whatever reason the road noise is noticeably louder. I would imagine this is the case on the Model Y as well.

Reactions: dafish
No! Mine doesn't have any folding points. It is one big clumsy stiff board. If his does all that, I'm mildly somewhat a very little bit upset because mine is also a December delivery made Nov. 20th, 2022.
Took delivery before you did but there are two folding joints on mine.

But nonetheless, it’s technically a cargo shelf (whatever that means) so I guess by definition you’re suppose to be able to put things on it, not underneath it 😁

Took delivery before you did but there are two folding joints on mine.

But nonetheless, it’s technically a cargo shelf (whatever that means) so I guess by definition you’re suppose to be able to put things on it, not underneath it 😁
My 2023 MYP which is also Nov bulld also has the 2 folding points.

Usually I have to tinker the cover fold a angle a bit when it fold open such that it does not slide on the side rails back down to flat position when loading.

If you put something ON the "parcel shelf", then have to stop suddenly, or worse still rear end someone, then what ever you put on the "parcel shelf" will immediately be in the front seats ... hopefully the driver's headrest will take the brunt of the impact, but I wouldn't want to rely on that

I saw a car once with two brass cannons up there ... no seriously! they were about 12 to 15 inches long, but would probably caused severe trauma in a wreck