Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cargo cover not as good as expected

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you get the part number from the bottom of the shelf? My December build is 1641293-00-D. Mine does not have the front lip folding point.
Hmm...there isn’t any part number that I can see. I did take a picture of the bottom of it, just for reference:

AA776C0A-E3B1-463B-BD34-7F83E2CF5138.jpeg

Reactions: TriniB
I just took delivery of an Austin MY and have the parcel shelf shown in the web link below, which also says Fremont started to include on October 20th and later. Not sure why, but the larger circular panel has a slight hump to it, perhaps to help support weight placed on it? You can see the hump slightly in the link, so it seems to be part of the design.

The article says my part number is 1641293-97-B END ITEM, PARCEL SHELF but there is also an Ebay listing for that part (with a part # sticker on the back) and it's the different design??? Another Ebay listing, that appears to be my parcel shelf, uses part #1641293-00-d.

Last edited:
Reactions: zannman
This Z folding shelf was in the 2023 model I demo drove a few weeks ago. I was impressed with how thick and well built it seemed, and I imagine it creates a good bit of sound deadening from the hatch area. I've heard this was an issue with older Model Y's.
My parcel shelf is definitely locked into position with magnets and do think it helps with noise reduction. I also think it may help with the sound system, since the shelf finishes just below the two rear speakers on the hatch (reduces the bounce/echo for the sound waves).

I received delivery on my MYLR last week that came with a cargo cover and the biggest complaint I have with it is that it's not easy to move it out of the way. It folds in a Z shape but doesn't stay in place. It slowly slides back making it frustrating to load things in the back. Anyone else feeling the same? I almost feel like it's better to not have it at all because it's not functional.
I immediately put mine in the basement

Reactions: Hojo
Mine 2023 Austin built came with one that only does the Z fold. It is super clumsy and and hard to use as it doesn't like to stay in the Z position and there's nothing to really hold it that way. The one that folds 4 times seems better and I want to exchange mine for that version if at all possible or buy one if they aren't expensive.

Mine 2023 Austin built came with one that only does the Z fold. It is super clumsy and and hard to use as it doesn't like to stay in the Z position and there's nothing to really hold it that way. The one that folds 4 times seems better and I want to exchange mine for that version if at all possible or buy one if they aren't expensive.
What you want to do is create a V with the two smaller panels near the rear seats, then flatten them together and slide down just behind the seat. This allows the panel to retract flat and remain stable.

It just seems so half assed to have to do that as opposed something that is property designed.
The Tesla Model Y Manual has parcel shelf directions, but they don't seem to make any sense. Perhaps it was written for a different parcel shelf version? I haven't been able to find any YouTube videos that explain how to use my version of the parcel shelf, so I decided to take a quick video and upload myself. Here it is:

Reactions: TriniB
Any other updates regarding this?

I went to one of the local Tesla stores yesterday and they did not know anything.. They did say that a shelf used to be present in the 2023 show car which was no longer present because it did not support as weight of a child as it apparently broke!

I've been thinking of ways to get the shelf to stay in the folded position...

I wish Tesla would have molded the side rails with little divots in the spot where the lip rests when folded. That would have kept the shelf tucked away so it isn't constantly unfolding while you're trying to load up the rear... Once you tuck the shelf half way down by the rear seats, it can become difficult to re-seat.

I may look for some sort of adhesive rubber nubs to stick onto the side rails. I'd want something just tall enough to keep the shelf in the folded position without causing it to bulge up excessively while opened up.

Perhaps they've improved them? My '23 folds as has been shown.

JCL: We let our leading each drop down instead of folding up as you did in the thought we would have more recline flexibility. Could be wrong of course!

Folding either way is something my 5" 4" wife can't do due to the magnet retention and leading edge being past her reach. Two strips of black ribbon attached at the under-side of the "front" and again at the back solve that for her. It may (or may not :) ) help others.

I'm of the opinion this is solid as a help/salve to the boom issue complained of by many. I also happen to think it looks batter then the POS covers on the Ariya and the Mach-E so with respect things could be a lot worse. IMO anyway

Hopefully this helps somebody-

-atb,

-d