Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cargo Cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
F548. got new door trim, but did not get the cargo cover. I drove by one of the delivery centers today in the Bay Area and they were prepping a handful of Y's with the trunks wide open. Some had the cargo cover and some didn't, so it still looks random and/or supply issues.

336E754F-7B7E-401E-A6D0-B3B958359F08.jpeg

7SAYGD….Picked up 9/24 in Rocklin, CA

Nope. VIN F545698

But I found this, and so far I like it better than the Tesla version which I've seen. I'm still working on finishing up the install and working out bugs to my satisfaction but it's pretty dang nice.

Tesla ModelYShelf.2

Please forgive the atrocious garage.View attachment 871197View attachment 871198View attachment 871199
The cover looks flat and doesn’t slope, this blocks a good portion of the rear speakers. One of the benefits of the stock cover IMO is the improved sound from the rear speakers.

Last edited:
So, I see a lot of folks on the forum jazzed about the cargo cover. But doesn't that just make your car a target for the rear window smash like is happening with so many M3's?
Every cargo cover I've ever had on a car has spent its life sitting in the back of my garage. Although I had read it can block out some rear motor noise. I'm not hearing any bad noise from the rear of my new MY so I'm indifferent about having one (which I don't).

Nope. VIN F545698

But I found this, and so far I like it better than the Tesla version which I've seen. I'm still working on finishing up the install and working out bugs to my satisfaction but it's pretty dang nice.

Tesla ModelYShelf.2

Please forgive the atrocious garage.
I bought an early version of this shelf. I never could work out how to support/secure it in the down position. The supplied support hooks, that are to be installed under the rubber fender gasket on each side, deformed the gasket. They also protruded into the opening, and would catch on cargo while loading/unloading. It always looked like a temporary fix.

I also purchased the roll-up version. However, like arbitrage000, both of these items spend their life in my garage...sigh...

Reactions: HSATD
I bought an early version of this shelf. I never could work out how to support/secure it in the down position. The supplied support hooks, that are to be installed under the rubber fender gasket on each side, deformed the gasket. They also protruded into the opening, and would catch on cargo while loading/unloading. It always looked like a temporary fix.

I also purchased the roll-up version. However, like arbitrage000, both of these items spend their life in my garage...sigh...
These are all good points. The support hooks have been redesigned. They definitely stick out a bit and are worth watching out for if you carry large stuff. They're also one of my potential rattle points; I'm still working on that. In the photos you can see where I've stuck a bit of kitchen sponge on top of them to act as a cushion. I haven't noticed the gasket deforming to any great degree...yet.

The string that lifts this one up is another potential sticking point. I think the original version came with hooks that could slide between the trim pieces on the liftgate to loop the string around. Those hooks aren't included, and I'll bet they'd cause some deformation and/or cracking. I wouldn't use them. So...I've got the string looped around the top of the struts. Not optimal, although I don't see how it'd cause any damage. The biggest issue I've got is it's a pain to remove/disconnect them. I'd love to figure out some way to attach it in a way that's strong and doesn't rattle yet is easily removable. If this was OEM, there would be a nice hook in the liftgate; it'd be easy. <Sigh.>

Same with the attachment to the seatback end. This uses string around the headrest mounts, or plastic hooks to hold the string loops that make it easy to detach. The string allows for a higher shelf, but it's more difficult to remove. The plastic hooks are awesome, but for me they make the shelf hang too low.

None of the choices are great for everyone; this one is by far the best for me even with the sticking points above. I didn't like how the stock version doesn't "open up" very far without removing it - this one gets right out of the way and you can easily load up the entire cargo bin floor with groceries. I did want a solid cover; the roll-up versions flop around and eventually crack; noise concerns me as well. The solid cover seems to provide a bit of sound insulation from the motor noise, but that could just be confirmation bias on my part.

Ah, the joys of having a hatchback. Gotta say, I'm amazed at the sheer size and usability of the cargo area even with the seats up regardless of cover choice.

Last edited:
Yea, I'm quoting myself but I want to add to what I said regarding the ModelYShelf.2 . Here's a way to attach the strings to the back of the shelf in a fairly quick and easy way to remove them without adding rattles. This, combined with the hooks in the front means I can remove the shelf in a few seconds. Still need to figure a way to do a more permanent tie-off, but this works really well. If only the nylon pieces came in black. Sigh.

IMG_1009.jpeg

IMG_1008.jpeg

Nope. VIN F545698

Tesla ModelYShelf.2

Please forgive the atrocious garage.View attachment 871197View attachment 871198View attachment 871199