Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cargo liner that isn't a slip-n'-slide?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Brand new Model Y owner here! Glad to have joined the community and to have ditched my gas-guzzling Mercedes GLK.

I frequently drive around with my 70 lb long-haired dog in the back, meaning the seats are often folded flat. I pulled out an old cargo liner that I had (something of this ilk that covers the trunk space and the rear seat backs), forgetting that a previous dog struggled with it. It's too slippery. Cargo suffered the same fate...as did my current dog. It's like a slip-n'-slide back there!

Can any of you recommend a cargo liner that fits the Model Y and won't promote dogs and cargo sliding around in the turns?

Reactions: MarkCR
I bought the complete set of Tesmanian floor mats. Although I love the Front/Rear passenger mats, the cargo area mat was just too slick. I took a long cross-country trip with luggage in the back and every time I went around a corner the luggage and other items would just slide all over the place. I've since switched to the ToughPro mat with Hex pattern Rubber and it works much better. My luggage no longer slides.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086Q4F9KJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: ahcpa
Planning to get the Tesmanian cargo liner and second row seat back cover mats, and my pup will ride in the back. But it has occurred to me that I may also need to protect the second row seats... a 5 minute test drive with the dog a couple of days ago resulted in another 5 minutes of me vacuuming his hair off the seats :rolleyes: Is anyone using something other than a hammock to protect their second row seats? I have 2nd row hammock in my current car, and it's a pain to take it down and put it back up any time I need to use the seat for passengers other than the pup.
tempImage2TpFI4.jpg

Welcome to the sheddy dog club 😂. Our pup loves ridding in the back of the Y and we have the Tasmanian Cargo Liner and seat backs and they work great. We didn’t velcro down the Cargo mat to the carpet so its east to just remove and shake out. That said, there really is no way to contain the fur if you have a sheddy pup and it still gets everywhere. We bought this and it does help contain the hair fall out a bit.

Welcome to the sheddy dog club 😂. Our pup loves ridding in the back of the Y and we have the Tasmanian Cargo Liner and seat backs and they work great. We didn’t velcro down the Cargo mat to the carpet so its east to just remove and shake out. That said, there really is no way to contain the fur if you have a sheddy pup and it still gets everywhere. We bought this and it does help contain the hair fall out a bit.
Definitely a card-carrying member of the sheddy dog club - with black hair and a white undercoat, he can do a number on any color interior 😂

Can you resend your link? I couldn't get it to load.

Reactions: SuperchargEDD
I just bought something similar to the Topfit cargo liner. It's more expensive, but the sides go up higher, it includes full coverage for the two small side wells in the back...and most importantly, the rear seat covers are separate, so you can still raise/lower all 3 sections separately.

Worth-Mats

Full coverage.jpg

I bought it for my 5-seater 2022 Y (they don't have one for 7-seaters). They say they can fit: "Tesla MODEL 3 MODEL Y 5 Seat MODEL X 5/6/7 Seat MODEL S"

It estimated delivery at 4-8 weeks. I got mine in under 3. I didn't pay the $10 for a "logo" (the name of the car stitched on), and they even emailed to confirm, but I got "Model Y" in gold thread in 3 places. Maybe I can black it out with a sharpie.

The big mat on the floor just sits on top, like most cargo mats - so you can easily slip it out if need be. The vertical sections on the seat backs and side walls attach via small velcro patches along the edges. Where there's carpet, the velcro sticks to that. Where there's plastic, they include both side of the velcro, one with sticky backing.

What I like about them:
  • Pretty full coverage!
  • Can still fold down each of the three seat pieces separately
  • Can still access the subtrunk, buttons and latches, etc
  • They are pretty lightweight
  • Nice feeling, slightly padded material with almost no smell
  • The material is a reasonable match for the car's interior
  • Pretty good fit
  • Pretty easy to install
What I don't like, so far:
  • I asked for an all-black, no-logo liner. I got "Model Y" stitched in gold in 3 places
  • With the liners on the side walls, it's pretty impossible to lift the full-width cover of the shallow storage area in front of the subtrunk. Oh well, it was pretty small and hard to get to anyway.
  • When you put the seats up, sometimes the seat liners snag on the trunk floor. Not hard to manage...assuming both hands are free
  • They are a lot more expensive than cargo liners I've used in the past (but this is much better coverage)
I just put 'em in, so it's possible I will come to hate them after some use. Maybe:
  • They will be slippery?
  • They will not wear well?
  • They will not stay in place?
  • How "waterproof" will they be? It says the material is waterproof, but it has an awful lot of stitching...
Here is how it looks with all the seats folded down:

All folded.jpg

And with just one seat folded:

Middle folded.jpg

They have properly-placed cutouts so you can access everything you need:

Cutouts.jpg

It's still easy to get full access to the trunk well:

Trunk well.jpg

Seat back detail. You do have to remove the headrests, but that's pretty easy:

Seatback closeup.jpg

Side detail:

Side detail.jpg

Last edited:
I've used the Worth-Mats in my Y for about 2 months, and so far I'm pretty happy with them. The only issue is that the floor mat tends to slide backwards a little when you pull cargo out, and then the hatch won't close.

I was happy enough that I ordered a set for my wife's Model X. Those, I am not so happy with. This is a Y forum so I won't go in to great detail, but the big, complex low piece that fills the trunk well and goes up to just short of the seats is too long; I'm going to have to cut it. There are no cutouts for 12V outlets, cargo tie-downs, or shelf supports (so the upper shelves don't fit when the mat is in). It came with plenty of velcro bits, but none of them were pre-attached. And it only covers the sides where there is carpet - the back of our 2017 X 5-seater has plenty of plastic, but the mats don't protect them. I didn't have any of these issues with the mats for the Y, as you can see in the photos above.

• Informative
Reactions: BitJam
I just bought something similar to the Topfit cargo liner. It's more expensive, but the sides go up higher, it includes full coverage for the two small side wells in the back...and most importantly, the rear seat covers are separate, so you can still raise/lower all 3 sections separately.

Worth-Mats

View attachment 796629

I bought it for my 5-seater 2022 Y (they don't have one for 7-seaters). They say they can fit: "Tesla MODEL 3 MODEL Y 5 Seat MODEL X 5/6/7 Seat MODEL S"

It estimated delivery at 4-8 weeks. I got mine in under 3. I didn't pay the $10 for a "logo" (the name of the car stitched on), and they even emailed to confirm, but I got "Model Y" in gold thread in 3 places. Maybe I can black it out with a sharpie.

The big mat on the floor just sits on top, like most cargo mats - so you can easily slip it out if need be. The vertical sections on the seat backs and side walls attach via small velcro patches along the edges. Where there's carpet, the velcro sticks to that. Where there's plastic, they include both side of the velcro, one with sticky backing.

What I like about them:
  • Pretty full coverage!
  • Can still fold down each of the three seat pieces separately
  • Can still access the subtrunk, buttons and latches, etc
  • They are pretty lightweight
  • Nice feeling, slightly padded material with almost no smell
  • The material is a reasonable match for the car's interior
  • Pretty good fit
  • Pretty easy to install
What I don't like, so far:
  • I asked for an all-black, no-logo liner. I got "Model Y" stitched in gold in 3 places
  • With the liners on the side walls, it's pretty impossible to lift the full-width cover of the shallow storage area in front of the subtrunk. Oh well, it was pretty small and hard to get to anyway.
  • When you put the seats up, sometimes the seat liners snag on the trunk floor. Not hard to manage...assuming both hands are free
  • They are a lot more expensive than cargo liners I've used in the past (but this is much better coverage)
I just put 'em in, so it's possible I will come to hate them after some use. Maybe:
  • They will be slippery?
  • They will not wear well?
  • They will not stay in place?
  • How "waterproof" will they be? It says the material is waterproof, but it has an awful lot of stitching...
Here is how it looks with all the seats folded down:

View attachment 796635

And with just one seat folded:

View attachment 796636

They have properly-placed cutouts so you can access everything you need:

View attachment 796637

It's still easy to get full access to the trunk well:

View attachment 796638

Seat back detail. You do have to remove the headrests, but that's pretty easy:

View attachment 796639

Side detail:

View attachment 796640
Following up on these. Now that you’ve had them awhile, how do you like them? Do things slide easily? How do they wear? Thanks!

Yeah, I like 'em. I complained about the floor mat sliding backwards, but that was because it didn't have any velcro on it. They included extra velcro bits, so I put some on (just on the frontmost half, so it didn't cause issues when I access the trunk well) and now that part works great. They've stayed in place, and I love the coverage - I can just shove anything in there, and not worry about messing up the car interior. The seat back covers seem to have mostly learned how to fold themselves, and so I haven't been having issues putting the seats up and down. It's really easy to use the trunk well and access the seat-fold buttons in the back.

Possible complaints:
  • when loading a heavy piece of furniture with a sharp edge, I got a small rip in the fabric
  • there are no "lips" at the edge of the floor mat, so if you spill a lot of fluid, it could pour in to the cracks on the sides (hypothetical; has not happened to me)
  • it's extremely difficult to access the very shallow frontmost storage area; but as I mentioned I don't think I'd be using that area anyway - it's hard to reach and can't store much

I have these Taptes Mats. They are similar to what @Cytrine has. I absolutely love them. They do not have the same coverage as Worth mats, as they do not go into the side trunk areas and do not go up as high; but they do not have the logo which was a big deal for me. They also do not move, there is velcro used to ensure no movement. So I would say, if you plan on taking these in and out, I would not get them because moving them multiple times could mess up the flocking material Tesla uses. However, if you set it and forget it they are great. If fits so well it it looks OEM, and it also compliments the TuxMats that I have (still do not understand how Tuxmats does not have a Cargo area mat that has similar coverage since they have some of the best front and rear seat coverage out there).