Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cargo Space vs Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So just how much space is there in the Model Y? We have a Model S and some of the videos I've seen make it look like there's not that much more space than the S and most of the video comparison discussions are with regard to the Model 3, not the S. If that's the case, the Y we have ordered isn't going to be half as useful as we'd hoped and we should probably look for a used X. This car is to replace a BMW 530xi wagon which has been our road trip car. Has anybody measured the cargo volume with the rear seats up?

That'd be great. My wagon had more room than a BMW X3 or X5. Judging from the cubic footage with the seats down, the Y should have more room, but I'm not 100% sure. If they made a wagon version of the S, it would have more room than the BMW 530xi wagon.

I had an S and the space is similar, the only difference is that the Y is taller this bigger items could fit.
Other than that the S has a huge trunk but the Y will be even bigger than your wagon
The issue is the S is narrower than the Y and it’s by a good 6-8 inches. It definitely will allow for taller items but not as wide. Also, the extra storage area under the floor is not as wide either.

Could someone with a Model Y tell me if a 6' stepladder (74" folded) would fit lying flat behind the passenger seat? In the Model S, it fits, but the front seat has to be moved way forward.

I'm your huckleberry...
IMG_20200426_194551.jpg

IMG_20200426_194604.jpg

No front seat adjustment, my wife's car. She's 5'4" and I'm 5'11". Couple inches to spare on both ends, as it's not touching at either point.
Good luck!

Does anyone happen to have experience hauling long cargo, like 8' or 10' lumber, pipes, etc.? The Model S has come in handy since I can easily carry standard 10' lengths of these items home from Home Depot for projects around the house. I'm curious if anyone has been able to do the same with the Y.

I have a friend who was thinking about either a Model 3 or a Model Y. She needs to be able to carry a dog cage, approximate size being 36 inches long, 26 inches high and 24 inches wide. I have measured my Model 3 and the 26 inch height is the problem. Anyone know if it would fit in a Model Y? Thanks.

I have a friend who was thinking about either a Model 3 or a Model Y. She needs to be able to carry a dog cage, approximate size being 36 inches long, 26 inches high and 24 inches wide. I have measured my Model 3 and the 26 inch height is the problem. Anyone know if it would fit in a Model Y? Thanks.

There are many posts and videos showing cargo room if you want exact dimensions. That cage will fit with lots of room to spare. I think there is plenty of room for two of those.

Reactions: empiredown