TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Caring for lacewood trim

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by umuhk, Dec 12, 2013.

1. umuhk

umuhk Member

The usual advice for cleaning the décor trim in the Model S ("wipe with a clean damp cloth" etc) doesn't seem right for lacewood, since it's open-grain. Also, I'm concerned about how well it will survive in summer heat and sun, as it doesn't appear to have any hardening finish. What have folks with lacewood trim done for cleaning & protecting it, and how well has it worked?

2. Tommy

Tommy Member

I think the best way to protect the lacewood trim is to have ALL your windows tinted. Blocking UV light and mitigating heat buildup in the car's interior will go a long way in protecting the wood. I don't know of any other product that is as effective as window tint in stopping UV rays & heat. I have the lacewood interior and can confirm that window tinting made a difference in the interior heat buildup and specs state 99% of UV blocked. I just wipe the finish down with a damp microfiber towel. So far, no issues.