Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Tesla CarPlay and Android Auto Devices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone help me out here, I’m so confused. Last week I bought a T2C direct from the carlinkit Amazon store, but they had 9 different product listings for Tesla, all with different prices. I read all the descriptions and cannot tell the difference between any of them. I’m pretty sure all of them said SIM + hotspot.

For example, here are 4 product listings from the official Carlinkit store:

1. Carlinkit Tesla Wireless Carplay Adapter for Tesla Y & Tesla 3, Plug&Play, 5G Chip, for iPhone Fastest Speed Wireless Apple Car Play Dongle, Auto Connect, Online Update, USB/Type C 2Cables https://a.co/d/aL9GSF4 - $129
  2. CarlinKit 3.0 Tesla CarPlay T2C , Wireless Apple Carplay Adapter for Tesla Original System Cars, Plug and Play, sensorless Connection (Keep Your car Online), 2.4G+5G WiFi https://a.co/d/hNTymqE - $89
  3. Tesla CarPlay CarlinKit 3.0 T2C Wireless CarPlay Adapter for Tesla's Original System car, Instantly Upgrade to Wireless CarPlay, Keep Your car Machine Online, (SIM Card not Included) https://a.co/d/3h6bTHx - $99
  4. Carlinkit T2C 2023 for Tesla carplay Wireless Adapter, Tesla wirelessly Connect Apple carplay, The Latest Version for Tesla Model 3 and Model Y After 2019 https://a.co/d/fU9iAIe - also $99

I ended up buying the one for $89 since it was cheapest, but that item shows as no longer available on Amazon. Is it an old unit? Should I return it and get one of the other ones? It’s weird because it has the same availability date of November 3, 2022 as the $99 unit previously linked in this thread.

And on their site they had two listings:
  1. CarlinKit Wireless CarPlay Android auto Mini Box Adapter For Tesla Model 3/X/Y/S CarPlay Wireless Activator Navigation Spotify Siri iOS16 New
  2. T2C Carlinkit Mini Carplay Android Auto Wireless Wifi Box Bluetooth Adapter For Tesla Model 3/X/Y/S Apple Carplay Dongle OTA Online Update
One is $89 and one is $139 and when I looked last week the product descriptions were identical. I did email them asking about it so maybe they’re updated now, havent checked yet.

I am so confused.

Thanks.
Hope this can help you. They recommend the versions support both SIM card and hotspot.

Attachments

• carlinkit T2C.png
    carlinkit T2C.png
    191.2 KB · Views: 141
Reactions: jerome8283
For the sim card option, can I use any working sim? I have a spare one lying around from one of those free extra lines that T-Mobile was offering earlier - would it be compatible with this device?
Sure. I contacted their customer service and they recommended buying sim cards from carriers like Sprint, T-Mobile, US Cellular, Cricket Wireless or Boost Mobile.

Reactions: mylapore
Trying to select the right thing to order reminds me of George Carlin saying "Mongolian Cluster F#$%!"

@Mikecm1 I think the one you got will be fine.

Tip I just discovered. Today when I left the house CarPlay wasn't connecting. I was connected to the T2C WiFi. On the Device tab on the black tespush.com page I hit the blue Autoconnect switch to turn that off then back on. When it switched back on CarPlay connected.

Reactions: Mandingo
I just went out to set up the T2C and it was a piece of cake! Took 10 minutes including updating the software to get up and running. Changed the display to HD and refresh rate or whatever they called it to ‘fast’, and it’s smooth as butter, looks sharp, and worked perfectly. Only played with it for ~15 minutes but no complaints.

The only questions I have which might not be possible as a restriction to CarPlay, but is there any way to change the default dashboard view layout or widgets? The bottom left “home” widget for the map is pretty redundant with the map right above it:

B7DF3F4B-FA8B-466D-B8BC-457F12D4143B.jpeg

And is there any way to have more than 3 app icons on the left column? Seems like a waste of screen real estate. I’m pretty sure there are more in my wife’s Audi that has CarPlay, but I might be misremembering.

I don't think I've seen more than 3 icons on the left in my cars. And I think the layout of the screen is determined by the aspect ratio of the screen and/or the developer's choice.

But, just seeing your screenshot is getting me even more excited for the imminent delivery of my Model Y.

is there any way to change the default dashboard view layout or widgets? The bottom left “home” widget for the map is pretty redundant with the map right above it
Not that I'm aware of. You may already know about this but you can switch views by clicking the icon in the bottom left to the more traditional display with rows of icons.

any way to have more than 3 app icons on the left column
Don't think I've ever seen more than three icons there.

Apologies if this has been answered already (I did look but couldn’t see it), if you use a SIM card with the T2C rather than your phone’s hotspot, approximately how much data are people using per month? Assuming CarPlay is being used mostly to stream audio and for navigation with Maps or Waze. A broad indication of how much data is consumed would be very helpful.

I think I was using over 10GB per month with Tesla Android, I kept it on a lot and was using satellite maps on the Tesla NAV (although I stayed in one metro area, so not sure if it was having to download a lot)

If I get a chance I’ll look at my bill history for a more accurate number.

Update - I have actually returned my Carlinkit. While I loved the big display and the latest update made it snappier, the work required to enable and disable the device made it increasingly inconvenient. If I forgot to switch it off when I got home my iPhone was still wirelessly connected to my car while I was in my house and that messed up Wi-Fi, audio and phone calls.

I also ran into another issue on a roadtrip recently which was my iPhone was overheating on the wireless charger when it was connected - someone mentioned it was related to the hotspot being on - this made charging stop and it dropped the Carlinkit connection every few minutes.

I have switched to the Hansshow 9” which offers several benefits:-

- Powers on and off automatically
- Connects quickly (10-15 seconds)
- Display is right in front of me as I drive
- Has car info as well as CarPlay (range, lights, gear)
- UI can be controlled from steering wheel versus trying to reach across to hit screen buttons
- Display is fast and smooth
- Doesn’t mess with the Tesla Wi-Fi/LTE connectivity

The downsides are:-

- Screen is much smaller
- There is a bug with the audio routing (Hansshow say they are testing a fix now)

Until there is a bug fix I have the Hansshow BT connected to the Tesla so all audio comes through the car speakers and I just manually switch the BT connection on the Tesla to my iPhone directly if I have a phone call - I tend to need directions more frequently than I have phone calls.

Attachments

• EFC591C1-446F-4D26-B20D-B4782F3997B2.jpeg
    EFC591C1-446F-4D26-B20D-B4782F3997B2.jpeg
    359 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Update - I have actually returned my Carlinkit. While I loved the big display and the latest update made it snappier, the work required to enable and disable the device made it increasingly inconvenient. If I forgot to switch it off when I get home my iPhone was still wirelessly connected to my car while I was in my house and that messed up Wi-Fi, audio and phone calls.

I also ran into another issue on a roadtrip recently which was my iPhone was overheating on the wireless charger when it was connected - someone mentioned it was related to the hotspot being on - this made charging stop and it dropped the Carlinkit connection every few minutes.

- UI can be controlled from steering wheel versus trying to teach across to hit screen buttons

- Screen is much smaller
- There is a bug with the audio routing (Hansshow say they are testing a fix now)

Until there is a bug fix I have the Hansshow BT connected to the Tesla so all audio comes through the car speakers and I just manually switch the BT connection on the Tesla to my iPhone directly if I have a phone call - I tend to need directions more frequently than I have phone calls.

Your first problem could be solved pretty easily with automations, eg: 1. when your phone connects to your car or the T2C it toggles personal hotspot on, 2. when you arrive home your phone turns hotspot off then something like wait 30/60 seconds, toggle Bluetooth/wifi off then on so it wouldn’t reconnect to the t2c easily since you’re further away. You likely wouldn’t even notice the interruption.

That’s just off the top of my head but there’s probably smarter ways to use automations to make the t2c more seamless.

Edit: I just tested my cars LTE connectivity while connected to the t2c and it appears to work fine. My cars parked at home about 150 feet away connected to the t2c’s wifi network, and I’m able to do things like view sentry live cameras like normal.

Were you having issues with that?

Last edited:
Update - I have actually returned my Carlinkit. While I loved the big display and the latest update made it snappier, the work required to enable and disable the device made it increasingly inconvenient. If I forgot to switch it off when I got home my iPhone was still wirelessly connected to my car while I was in my house and that messed up Wi-Fi, audio and phone calls.

- UI can be controlled from steering wheel versus trying to reach across to hit screen buttons

- Screen is much smaller

Isn’t another downside the need to wire directly into the bus requiring a more complicated installation?

Your first problem could be solved pretty easily with automations, eg: 1. when your phone connects to your car or the T2C it toggles personal hotspot on, 2. when you arrive home your phone turns hotspot off then something like wait 30/60 seconds, toggle Bluetooth/wifi off then on so it wouldn’t reconnect to the t2c easily since you’re further away. You likely wouldn’t even notice the interruption.

That’s just off the top of my head but there’s probably smarter ways to use automations to make the t2c more seamless.
Are you saying this from actually having this working or is this speculation? In practice I found that the iPhone is very tightly entwined with CarPlay Wi-Fi networks and will reconnect every time it even gets a sniff. It always reconnected after manually toggling Wi-Fi, Bluetooth or hotspot. I am sure this is designed to make wireless Carplay more reliable in noisy wireless environments but it makes “breaking” the connection very tough.

If you have this working reliably I am sure many people on this thread would love to have it - I’m going in a different direction.

Are you saying this from actually having this working or is this speculation? In practice I found that the iPhone is very tightly entwined with CarPlay Wi-Fi networks and will reconnect every time it even gets a sniff. It always reconnected after manually toggling Wi-Fi, Bluetooth or hotspot. I am sure this is designed to make wireless Carplay more reliable in noisy wireless environments but it makes “breaking” the connection very tough.

If you have this working reliably I am sure many people on this thread would love to have it - I’m going in a different direction.

I haven’t set it up yet with the t2c as I only installed it yesterday, but I have a lot of experience with shortcuts and automations with physical products in both my home and our cars, so I have very little doubt I can get it working properly without much effort. And we’ve never had an issue with the Carlinkit wireless CarPlay adapter that we use in my wife’s car.

Worst case scenario you could at least make an automation that opens the settings screen where you can enable/disable CarPlay that triggers when you arrive home or get to your car, where it would be a simple toggle click the same as a physical on/off button would work.
(Edit: this simple shortcut opens the CarPlay settings page- Shortcuts)

I’ll update everyone here with how I ultimately go about setting all this up.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeyLeee
I haven’t set it up yet with the t2c as I only installed it yesterday, but I have a lot of experience with shortcuts and automations with physical products in both my home and our cars, so I have very little doubt I can get it working properly without much effort. And we’ve never had an issue with the Carlinkit wireless CarPlay adapter that we use in my wife’s car.

Worst case scenario you could at least make an automation that opens the settings screen where you can enable/disable CarPlay that triggers when you arrive home or get to your car, where it would be a simple toggle click the same as a physical on/off button would work.
(Edit: this simple shortcut opens the CarPlay settings page- Shortcuts)

I’ll update everyone here with how I ultimately go about setting all this up.
Looking forward to your new update, Mike!

I think anyone who buys this device has to keep in mind that this is a hack. Don't expect a seemless experience, almighty Elon has decided we shouldn't have CarPlay or Android Auto.

If you go into it knowing the limitations, you will get what you paid for.
True true…and remember. Tesla can disable the functionality that this system & others rely upon without much effort. Sorry that carlinkit did not mention this. May tesla decide to not block our systems….enjoy CarPlay like it’s the last day you’ll have it…much like life. Advice from a person who almost died a few years ago.