Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carmax valuation for Roadster?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ChadS

Last tank of gas: March 2009
Jul 16, 2009
Redmond, WA
Now that Tesla has a deal with Carmax, I am thinking of getting their valuation, and if it's good enough I might trade it in to Tesla (Tesla will match Carmax offers - then they just sell it to Carmax). I am sure Carmax will give me less than I could sell it for privately; but they might be close enough that it is worthwhile given that in my state I'd get the 10% sales tax waived on my new purchase for the value of my trade-in.

The catch is that the nearest Carmax is 200 miles away in Portland, and I can't use Superchargers. So this is going to be an all-day affair, best case.

By any chance, has anybody taken a Roadster to Carmax recently? If so, please PM me as I'd love to hear what sort of value they gave you. I'd sure hate to drive all the way down there for a $35k offer. I tried calling to get a very rough and non-binding idea of what they might offer, but of course they won't say ANYTHING until I bring the car in.

I searched the forums but the Roadster/Carmax threads are several years old.

Thanks!

Sorry to here you're selling. I love your yellow Roadster. While I'm quite happy with my Very Orange, yellow was my first choice of color but they seem to quite rare and I couldn't find any for sale when I was looking.

Your car looks like it was well enjoyed and well loved. It'll make a new owner very happy.

I'm not too far from a Carmax, but it is in one of the outlying Phoenix ex-urbs and I'm trying to finish a remodeling project that has taken way too long, so I honestly don't have the time to get a valuation for you. I did sell a LEAF to Carmax back in 2012. The price was okay - not insulting or anything - and the hassle free nature and ease of it made it worthwhile to me at the time. You basically just sign the purchase paperwork, title, and walk out with a check. Such ease combined with the sales tax savings on a new purchase might indeed be worthwhile.

Good luck!

• Helpful
Reactions: ChadS