Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carpet Bombing TMC to make a point

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
THis is VERY FRUSTRATING. I was a very early customer, Res 4172, and I am seeing delivery after delivery of orders placed as late as Dec 2012 get delivered. No one ever said (in the beginning) that we needed to order certain options to get the car on time. It was stated that "you will be notified about 30 days before delivery to FINALIZE your order, and then your deposit would be Non Refundable". Well I was asked to finalize my order over 90 days ago, but no delivery in sight. I am now locked in and cannot get my money back, cannot make changes and I sit and watch people with reservations in the 10000s getting cars while I get a message, we are sorry, about telling you that your car will be in production in March, we may not get to you until April or May. This all SUCKS. You may have a great car, but you have a terrible customer communication. Everyone recieving cars now, almost all of them, placed orders long after I did. PISSED OFF

Congrats to all the new car owners, I have Res 4172 with no production in sight. been waiting for over 18 months with Tesla rescheduling me already once. Odd that they need to reach out to reservations in the 10-15k to fill their orders while we early customers wait. That doesnt make me feel very good.

Reservation number what does it mean, ABSOLUTLY NOTHING! I have #4172 and no production in sight. If you dont order all the toys, with the largest battery you will get built when they have an opening. Apparently they are building only the cars with ALL THE EXTRAS. I ordered a car with 60kw battery and a few extras and looking above I see cars in the 10-15k reservation numbers being completed and delivered. BTW, finalizing the order is not what they say it is. I finalized 90 days ago, and still no production so watching all these late orders getting delivered makes me a bit frustrated.

Reservation number means NOTHING

Apparently TESLA is building cars based on options, the more the options, the quicker it gets done. This was something never mentioned when I made my reservation 18 months ago. I ordered the 60kw battery, leather, sunroof a few other things, but left off the AAS as just didnt need it and thought it may be an expensive repair in the future. By missing that I am shoved to the back of the line. I am very frustrated to see Reservations in the 10-12K getting delivered while I continue to wait. I knew it would be Jan before 60kw would go into production, but didnt realize that by not ordering AAS, I would have to wait until Mar to even get into the que. Odd that TESLA needs to reach out to people holding reservations thousands later than me to fill their orders as most people probably did not opt for the AAS. I was sent an email that my car would be ready mid March, then a week later they said sorry, we didnt realize you didnt order the AAS. So maybe we will get to you in April or May. So I have probably 2-3000 early reservations ahead of me, plus all the BIG ORDERS that will also be filled along the way, it appears I will be lucky to have a car in 2013. For me, the system SUCKS, but I can understand that TESLA needs to go where the money is, even if my $77k car is not enough for them.

Clearly it is all about profitability, If a car was ordered in Sept, has number 18k and is pushed up it is about the price tag. That may be a good business decision to make the first quarter profitable, but is leaves a pretty bad taste in my mouth. How may more will be inserted in front of me? and I didnt order a cheap car, its freaking $77k.

I knew all along that the 60kw was to start in Jan, but didnt know IN THE BEGINNING that the AAS omission would delay the car. But even then I am noticing many cars with much higher numbers being completed. Even a friend of mine with number 5XXX got his 60kw car because he ordered the AAS. My concern is that they are building cars totally based on profit, not reservations. IF that is the case they roll through the orders to find the most profitable and put them in the que. IF that is the case, with 20k orders, there will be tons of orders more than my $77k. Also I spoke with them over a month ago about adding the AAS, but they said I would need to pay both the cost and the price increase totalling over $4k to move up.

Tried the upgrade route a month ago, but they wanted me to pay the upgrade AND the price change. Not very good customer relations. Yes we want the company to survive, but if someone was placing an order today, with a res number of 20k + they know they have to wait. But Viola, because they ordered all the toys they move to the front of the line, that is bad. With 20k orders the company will survive unless the piss a whole lot of people off with poor customer service. I cant believe the difference in profit of my car, (a few hundred or thousand $) will break the company. THey took my money, they finalized my car, they locked me in, they lied to me about production, now I am stuck not knowing when my car willl come and all the Johnny come latelys are getting cars while I wait. BTW, I just turned in my lease car and am using my daughters car while waiting. I probably would cancel if I didnt lose the $5k

The difference in my car, and the one my friend got 4 weeks ago was AAS. His had it mine didnt. He ordered 2 months after me Res #4980. So the only difference was the suspension. You would think they know how to build a car with standard suspension. They dont need to retool for that. and i was at the factory. Just odd that so many cars with much higher numbers have been delivered, again it is now all about bringing $$ into the door and the reservation numbers dont mean a thing. Yes maybe I will have a more refined car, but they sent me an email telling me the car would come, then 3 days later told me the didnt realize that I hadnt ordered the AAS so maybe April or May. Since then nothing. 0 communication.

- - - Updated - - -

Lying is referring to they stated "you will be notified approximately 30 days before production to FINALIZE your order." after that your deposit becomes non refundable. Well I finalized my order 90 days ago, but no production date, or the one they gave me they took it back. Cant get the car, cant get my money back. And if I wanted to add the option, they wanted to increase the car price to add the option, plus the cost of the option.

my thought EXACTLY.

Here it is March, they said they would build 60kw with Std suspension in March, My number is 4172, there should be no other units ahead of me that dont have a lower number. My table should be ready or I should be able to walk out of the restaurant.

BTW, the production thing was figured out long ago. Once they are fully ramped up, they will know how to build a fully loaded 85 and at the same time a stripped down 40kw. They dont do them by the week.

My notes show that sequence #4271 (60), #6682 (60) and #13184 (85) have standard suspensions and delivery dates this month. (If this is incorrect, please correct me) I also believe that #15617 (85/Standard) expects delivery next week. Standard suspensions are certainly a very rare option, it's likely that less than 5% of all Model S orders are in the standard suspension configuration. I only know of one person #1454 that may have been promised delivery in March. From my perspective, Telsa does not appear to have significantly broken any promises with respect to delivery of Model S cars with standard suspension. I really don't see any reason to be upset at how these deliveries are progressing - you will get you car soon - please let us know how the drive compares to the air option!

Then you know better than I, have heard nothing from TESLA. Would really Love to know how and where you were able to pull that information.

- - - Updated - - -

Then you know better than I, have heard nothing from TESLA. Would really Love to know how and where you were able to pull that information.

One other thing, In July when they had test drives in S Fla, they specifically pointed out a car to drive that had Std Suspension, and that is the one I waited to drive as that is what I was considering, so that is further confusing, apparently they did make them before.

I understand the frustration and especially since things changed with the delivery schedule so late in the game. Once they are producing everything (all models and colors) by this summer, it shouldn't be a situation like you describe but I guess we will have to wait and see what happens.

I think it's important to step back and look at what they've accomplished so far (hits and misses). Motor Trend Car of the Year award for their first car isn't bad. The rollout hasn't been perfect obviously but they are delivering cars now. When is the last time a new car company launched and succeeded? Things could be better but they could also be much worse (Fisker, Coda...etc).

It is all about communication.. they didnt tell us in the beginning that missing an option would delay the car, (probably would have factored into the decision) and if they are having supply problems or a time delay tell us. The last two emails I got from the company was
1. Your car will be delivered Mar 14-20
2. Sorry we didnt see your car was ordered without AAS so we expect to get back to you in April or May.

That is not good. That is not acceptable when I see LOADED cars delivered with high order numbers. That is not acceptable when they say, you cant change your order to AAS without paying the new price increase even though we have had your money since Oct 2011. That is not acceptable when they have Locked me in without the ability to cancel and lose $5k, even though I probably wouldnt. But it is most definately all about posting a profit for Q1 so they will move me into April or May to get out the more profitable cars. I am sure there are a few thousand others in the same boat as they reach over to get the newer orders for all the extras.

I fail to understand how in the world TESLA could have cancellations. The current plan is to make everyone FINALIZE their order months if not years ahead of delivery essentially locking in their deposits. I cant cancel without losing my $5k now and my production date could be months away. Pretty scary system and would not have bought from them if I thought they would do something like this.

Something very fishey is going on here and I hope I am wrong. I was told when I ordered my car that I would be asked to finalize my order about 30 days before production. That is not true. I was asked to finalize my purchase 90 days ago and still have no production date in sight. Further on this site, you can see there are people with numbers in the 10s of thousands also finalizing their orders. What is up with that? if they can only produce about 1600 per month, why have 20k people finalize their cars? I guess to bring those dollars into the company without restriction. How do they account for that, is it to the bottom line? Furthermore, I am seeing more and more that the order of production is more about profit and size of the order than who put their money in first, so by delivering all the big ticket cars in the first quarter, then between all the captured deposits and most profitable cars the income statement will be optimized. At what expense? I for one am not a happy customer. Was mislead at the order process, misinformed at the finalize process, and jumped over in the production process. Check to see how they account for all those finalized orders and if there are more than a few thousand deposits in revenue, something is amiss.

I've noticed multiple posts from you regarding your unhappiness over this situation. What has Tesla said when you contacted them?

Extremely unresponsive. Cant tell me anything. Furthermore, when I asked them to give me a final buyers order refecting the amount I want to finance with PenFed, they said they cannot do that until production is set, so I cannot finalize my financial arrangements until they are ready. Also they have no methodology for trading in a car so we have to pay sales tax on the whole amount not the trading difference, that is very Mickey Mouse. All in all very dissatisfied with their lack of customer concern or flexibility. Basically take it or leave it, Oh, you cant leave it because they have my $5k

- - - Updated - - -

Did they ask you to finalize to lock in the 2012 prices??

Also, the wait is not measured in years.

My complaint is not so much the wait, but the fact that they are pushing the most profitable orders to the front of the line. That I wasnt told in the beginning that by not ordering something you will be pushed back. Yes I am locked in at 2012 prices, but when I realized that it was going to delay my order and I asked them to add the AAS they stated I would have to pay both the cost and the price increase. That was insulting. In the meantime, on a daily basis I am seeing cars with order number much higher produced and delivered, and it appear that will continue through March so they can mean highest profit margins. That is not right, the orders will be there, the people knew they would have to wait, and yet they are getting cars, because they ordered all the options and we people who didnt, and I think there are alot, are pushed asided. Further, they are asking everyone to finalize and lock in their deposits and that just seems fishy to me.