TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Carpets / Floor Mats

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Doug_G, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

#1 Doug_G, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
    Name one thing that wears out just as fast as your rear tires...? :confused:

attachment.php?attachmentid=1549&d=1301601597.jpg

Okay, yeah, it needs a vacuum. But look at the ledge - the fibers are worn out! This is just from me getting in and out of the car over the course of eight months! :mad:

Can anyone suggest a good brand / part number for replacements, which would be more durable than the factory version?

Attached Files:

2. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Sector 111 used my car to make a template for a rubber version. Probably great for snow.

3. benji4

benji4 Roadster 2.5 #0476

Can't see your attachement for some reason... I noticed that even after having the car for a couple weeks it looked like the ledge in front of the seats was not going to wear well to say the least. To protect that area from wearing out I bought some carpet pieces, cut them into the same size as the ledge, and affixed them with velcro. Looks great and maybe took an hour total to get done. I'll get some pics of this up later...

4. NEWDL

NEWDL R#350 R#1323 Sig23 8136

Can you take some photos of the area you are having issues with? I would love to see where this wear is happening...

We have 5,000 miles on #350 and see no excess wear on the carpet...:confused:

Do you slide your feet on it when you enter or exit the car? Wear shoes with very textured or tacky soles?

I am just shooting in the dark here until I see the wear...

5. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

I just called sector 111...they have a rubber mat for Lotus, but it will not fit the Roadster unless you custom cut it yourself...

V, do you recall who you spoke with...maybe the guy I spoke with is unaware of this...

6. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I re-edited my original post to re-insert the attachment. The attachment mysterious disappeared from my attachment manager sometime after I posted my message. Some kind of glitch in the forum.

7. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Image has been re-uploaded.

I usually wear running shoes (sneakers). Probably my feet do slide on the floor when I get in/out. Not intentionally of course. I have only 7000 km on the car.

8. strider

strider Active Member

I have nearly 5k miles on mine with no visible wear. I did just go out to the garage and entered/exited the car (however the top is off - 84F on my drive home from work yesterday :p). On entering my right foot hits the carpet beyond the ledge so it isn't sliding over it. I'll try it again w/ the roof on but maybe just a different entry/exit technique?

EDIT: I found it amusing that after posting this the banner ad at the bottom of the forum was for WeatherTech floor mats ;)

9. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I was working with Shinoo the owner -very cool guy. Call back and tell him I sent you.

10. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

My stock carpet wore a 1 inch hole through to the backing where my heel rubbed the one spot below the torque pedal. They gave me a new carpet since this happened at 4K miles! A few months later everyone got the new Tesla branded floor mats.

11. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

#11 Jaff, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
    Ok, thanks for the help V!

12. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

I just left a VM for Shinoo...I'll let everyone know if this Roadster rubber mat is still available.

13. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

It's not the mat under the pedals that is the problem. It's the carpet between the floor mat and the seat, which is raised a couple of cm above the floor mat. My feet don't rest there when I'm driving, obviously, but apparently they do slide across it when I get in/out.

14. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

#14 Jaff, Apr 13, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
    Ok, I heard back from Stacy at sector 111 re the Tesla mats.

The winter (rubber) mats are available at a cost of $60 / pair.

They do have summer (carpet) mats available, she is checking on the cost & will advise.

Stacy @ Sector111

951-296-6762

However, she does not know if either mat covers the area which Doug is describing.

Hey V, do you recall when they made up the mat template from your Roadster if the template covered the "upper" area as well as the lower foot well?

Thanks!

15. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I have the prototype(s) here. They only cover the lower portion like the Tesla mat.

16. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Yep, that's what Stacy told me. I asked her if it's possible to get something for the other part of the floor. That's what I really need.

17. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Ok, thanks for the confirmation V!

18. NomoC8

NomoC8 Member

I know this an old thread, but I haven't found a solution posted. So I thought I would revive the thread, as I have a solution.

the Honda S2000 has a similar cross brace in front of the seats. I have mats that cover this from:

Rick's S2000 Luxury One Piece Carpet

I contacted Rick, who coincidently has a model S. They are interested, but we'll need a volunteer in Denver to serve as a template. Anyone interested?

19. Botbldr45

Botbldr45 Member

Well I don't live in Denver but would be up for a group buy if Rick"s wants to make some replacement matts.......
    :smile:

20. bart513

bart513 Member

I'd be in for winter mats!