Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CarPlay & Android Auto Hack - Walkthrough

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One or two RPIs, I'm still having a hard time finding any right now. I use RPILocator to no avail so far.
Yep. I've still got notifications turned on. I see maybe 3-4 times a week they're back in stock. Many of them are other countries. When they pop up they're usually sold out in 15 minutes. I think I got mine from Adafruit. I'd recommend getting an account set up with them or whomever you think you'll get lucky with, as you may not have time to register and get them ordered before they sell out.

You may recall if you've been following this thread that I had one "bug" with the Raspberry Pi CarPlay implementation. If the system was on and I approached the car, audio on my phone would start playing through my phone. Typically it will be whatever podcast I had been listening to. Sometimes it's music. It's reached the point of annoyance lately. Yesterday was an extreme example.

While working I kept going into and leaving a specific spot in someone's house. Each time I went there the audio would start. It was near a window and my car was right there. It was pretty bad.

Anyway, anyone else having this issue? I never had it with my other CarPlay hacks.

That's awesome. Gonna give that a try soon. I'm running fine every day with the two board system.

Since this thread is almost a year and a half old and discusses many implementations I figured it might be a good idea to have a thread just for the Pi solution. I started one here

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
That's awesome. Gonna give that a try soon. I'm running fine every day with the two board system.

Since this thread is almost a year and a half old and discusses many implementations I figured it might be a good idea to have a thread just for the Pi solution. I started one here
You read my mind. I was going to propose a thread for the raspberry pi solution.

I’ll be keeping an eye on the thread you made:

Just bought a RPI 4 4GB on EBay but probably will not set it up until the HDMI-CSI will is removed. Sounds like it will happen soon.
I was thinking the same. Perhaps best to chat about the Michael gapinski raspberry pi solutions over in this thread.

hello, i followed the thread, and now i have buyed a new fire hd 7 2022 tablet, with two adapters:

and

the first one is already delivered to me, but i can't get it to work with the adapter and with the carlinkit adapter, is it true that charging and data is not possible with the fire hd 7 usb c?
i would think that since its usb-c now, it should work just fine?

also, im not entirely sure, how i would power the tablet in my tesla, i read when sentry mode is on, the usb ports are also always on?

is there any other option?

One thing that is not clear to me, do you leave the raspberry on all the time and if yes isn't this potential risk of making your 12v battery dead? Also, how fast is the whole setup ready to be used once you unlock the car?
I do not leave it on all the time. Not sure what others do. I don’t like the idea of the pi being on in my parked car which can reach high temps.

I do not think it will cause the 12V to loose charge if left on. The tesla charges up the 12v from high voltage battery I believe. Sure, the 12v might not last as long due to more recharging cycles. It then you can get a lithium ion third party replacement.

Speed of availability after powering up the pi…ask us next week. A new version of the system will be released tomorrow , 10-31-2022. Right now it takes about 45 seconds..except on the cold mornings…then it takes multiple times of powering up…restarting…I think the geekworm capture card doesn’t like being cold 🤣. Never have issues once the car cabin is warmed up by sun. Anyhow geekworm capture card is not needed after tomorrow’s update.

The Pi won't drain your 12V battery, the power to USB ports/12V socket is terminated when the car goes to sleep. I've been monitoring mine since December 2021 with teslamate, I don't have a charger at home, my phantom drain is close to nothing(0.5%/day of idle with one or two wake ups from the app).

Keep in mind that the power consumption of Tesla Android is like 1/10 or less of what the car computer consumes :)

And... power consumption will drop with updates, right now the video is decoded on the Pi CPU itself, I have a working POC with h264 acceleration working :)

Anyone had any luck with this on MCU1?
i have been trying the latest 44.1 version for a few days now.
i Can hardly ever get past the “tesla android“ screen.
a couple times I was lucky to get to the apps screen, and click on autokit.

but even then, the browser freezes before I see any CarPlay goodies.

I am using the lowest resolution and 30hz.
anything else I should try?
my guess would be video playback being too much strain for the browser?
is There a way to go below 25hz? I could try 1hz lol

Anyone had any luck with this on MCU1?
i have been trying the latest 44.1 version for a few days now.
i Can hardly ever get past the “tesla android“ screen.
a couple times I was lucky to get to the apps screen, and click on autokit.

but even then, the browser freezes before I see any CarPlay goodies.

I am using the lowest resolution and 30hz.
anything else I should try?
my guess would be video playback being too much strain for the browser?
is There a way to go below 25hz? I could try 1hz lol
The latest android tesla is 2022.44.2 still says 2022.44.1 on screen. It was released hours or a day after the initial 2022.44.1 release. Just fyi to be sure you really are using the latest.

if your pi is in metal case, remove top to see if it is a signal issue. Metal case can decrease Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Signal.

be sure you have a fan to cool the pi. Either the recommended one or the ice tower (HIHH or low profile). If pi gets hot it will slow down to counter heat.

Last edited:
The latest android tesla is 2022.44.2 still says 2022.44.1 on screen. It was released hours or a day after the initial 2022.44.1 release. Just fyi to be sure you really are using the latest.

if your pi is in metal case, remove top to see if it is a signal issue. Metal case can decrease Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Signal.

be sure you have a fan to cool the pi. Either the recommended one or the ice tower (HIHH or low profile). If pi gets hot it will slow down to counter heat.
Thanks. I don’t think case is the issue: I can access the 9.9.0.1 website from my laptop, and navigate CarPlay & android with no problem.

I believe it’s the MCU1 browser being overwhelmed, and just freezes the page after a few seconds.
I don’t think there is a way to access the debugger of the web browser, or I would provide more information.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54