Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CarPlay & Android Auto Hack - Walkthrough

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a pretty good solution. I've seen several reviews on it, lots of good ones on YouTube. I'm shying away from it for two reasons.

One, I don't really like the mounting location which is on the dashboard behind the steering wheel. It's like where your speedometer and instrument cluster would be on most cars. That's great for that kind of information and I think that type of information is what it was mostly designed for, I think the CarPlay is an afterthought. I don't want to be reaching through or around my steering wheel to operate it. Also, it blocks and diverts AC air flow. That part's probably not a big deal for me but for others its a deal breaker.

Second, the installation is pretty involved. You need to disconnect the 12V battery, shut the car down. It connects to the car's systems under the dash and it looks really hard to get to. Also someone said you've only got a short window of time to disconnect the factory harness and reconnect it with the new device's connector.

Reactions: Charly Jazz
That's a pretty good solution. I've seen several reviews on it, lots of good ones on YouTube. I'm shying away from it for two reasons.

One, I don't really like the mounting location which is on the dashboard behind the steering wheel. It's like where your speedometer and instrument cluster would be on most cars. That's great for that kind of information and I think that type of information is what it was mostly designed for, I think the CarPlay is an afterthought. I don't want to be reaching through or around my steering wheel to operate it. Also, it blocks and diverts AC air flow. That part's probably not a big deal for me but for others its a deal breaker.

Second, the installation is pretty involved. You need to disconnect the 12V battery, shut the car down. It connects to the car's systems under the dash and it looks really hard to get to. Also someone said you've only got a short window of time to disconnect the factory harness and reconnect it with the new device's connector.
Yeah, it does sound complicated. I was thinking about getting it but still on the fence. Could be a good combo with the aftermarket yoke for M3/MY, also sold by the same company. That is, if I prefer the yoke - which I still have to try to know if I like it at all. Seems to be the most divisive and controversial feature of MS/MX Plaid.

200.gif

:D

Sorry all. I've unpacked the unit and was all ready to install it, when I realized it doesn't use USB power, it's got a 12v Accessory Plug (#FAIL). So I'm going to test it with the accessory port in the trunk, and if it is all I want, then I will figure out a USB-C power adapter to power it (don't want to install an accessory port under the dash as others have done). Hope to have something for everyone tomorrow or Wednesday.

Reactions: timeshifter
Sorry all. I've unpacked the unit and was all ready to install it, when I realized it doesn't use USB power, it's got a 12v Accessory Plug (#FAIL). So I'm going to test it with the accessory port in the trunk, and if it is all I want, then I will figure out a USB-C power adapter to power it (don't want to install an accessory port under the dash as others have done). Hope to have something for everyone tomorrow or Wednesday.
I thought the Model Y's had a 12 volt port in the centre console like the Model 3's. I was planing on running the power supply wire under the edge of the console trim and routing it into there to supply power.

Edit: I just saw a YouTube video of a Model Y owner showing the 12 Port in the centre console so there is one there. Have you removed or modified yours?

I thought the Model Y's had a 12 volt port in the centre console like the Model 3's. I was planing on running the power supply wire under the edge of the console trim and routing it into there to supply power.

Edit: I just saw a YouTube video of a Model Y owner showing the 12 Port in the centre console so there is one there. Have you removed or modified yours?
No.. where in the console is it? I didn't dig. thought the 2021 MY only had USB-C

No.. where in the console is it? I didn't dig. thought the 2021 MY only had USB-C
The word YouTube in my post is linked to the video I watched that shows you where it is, so click on that. I just wanted to make sure it was in the same place as it is on my Model 3. I didn't embed it because when I tried it just showed a message that the poster had disabled embedding on other sites so I just put in a link to it so you can watch it directly on YouTube. Here is the link again.

Interesting @buyleonard Does it automatically connect each time you get back in the car? Is it pretty fast and responsive? It's academic to me as I'm fully immersed in the Apple ecosystem and don't see myself ever switching to Android. But this sounds like a great development for Android users.

Hoping @PorthosJon is having good luck with his new device.

Also, I find myself wondering, as others have suggested, why not just get a big iPhone and stick on the dash? Just got a new iPhone 13 Pro last weekend. Maybe I should go to the Max and use a MagSafe mount and call it a day. I know that CarPlay is much better and all the arguments for it, I've made them myself. But that may be a good compromise until one day when Tesla releases native CarPlay integration. (Well, one can dream at least)

Another ding for Tesla's navigation...

Since starting on this CarPlay journey on my Tesla I've found myself liking the Tesla map feature more and more. It's such a nice, big screen. Pretty easy to pop in an address and go. BUT, it sometimes gives weird routes. And it only gives ONE route, not a choice.

Apple / CarPlay nav does much better. It usually gives two or three routes with times and tolls. Tonight I had to go across a bridge. There's two bridges near each other and one is free and one is a couple bucks each crossing. Apple let me pick. Tesla sent me right over the toll bridge.

The traffic light symbols on Apple nav are helpful too. They're a glaring omission when I switch back to the Tesla nav.

It automatically connects, and even turns on my hotspot (required for it to work). But the Tesla doesn't connect to the hotspot automatically, so I have to do that manually. And I did have it freeze once, had to select a different Amazon station for it to start playing again. Haven't spent that much time messing with it yet to see if I can fix those issues; i.e. getting the car to select my hotspot automatically

@PorthosJon Sorry to bug you. I know that you don't owe any of us anything and that any help we might post here is entirely voluntary and time out of our busy lives. But if you have any update at all that woudl be great. I have been checking this thread a couple of times every day for the last 2 weeks since you last posted in the hope you might have an update for us. Anything at all will do. A simple "Yes I got it working" or "No I didn't" would be enough to at least let me know if I should start an order to get one or not.
Thanks again.

Reactions: timeshifter
@PorthosJon Sorry to bug you. I know that you don't owe any of us anything and that any help we might post here is entirely voluntary and time out of our busy lives. But if you have any update at all that woudl be great. I have been checking this thread a couple of times every day for the last 2 weeks since you last posted in the hope you might have an update for us. Anything at all will do. A simple "Yes I got it working" or "No I didn't" would be enough to at least let me know if I should start an order to get one or not.
Thanks again.
Well said @muddie. I'm starving for some feedback on this device and checking in here a couple times a day as well.

My only serious regret with my Tesla is the infotainment system not being CarPlay based. Other new cars in this price range have really nice CarPlay implementations and I feel like I'm missing out. If I could find a GOOD solution for my Tesla I'd be really pleased. I have one now but it's not that good, just OK.

I may go ahead and order this device even without getting any additional feedback. Guess we're all pioneers here :D

Reactions: KentheJ