Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CarPlay & Android Auto Hack - Walkthrough

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also can anyone who has used this solution tell me how "Hey Siri" performs when using CapPlay? Does your phone try to pick up the request or does the Tablet/CarPlay device handle the requests when active? When using it in my other car which has native CarPlay there is the button on the steering wheel that you press to handle "Hey Siri" requests but that is not an option in this instance so I am wondering how having to give audible requests is handled.

I see in the photo that the Tesla App appears in CarPlay. It's interesting that Tesla don't support CarPlay natively but they went to the trouble of making their app CarPlay compatible. They must know it's a highly sought after feature and that people are hacking up solutions like this. It is my understanding that you have to jump through certain non standard app requirements to get your app to be available in CarPlay.
That's actually an icon for the AutoKit app itself. You can modify the icon in a number of ways and Tesla is just one of the icons. That is NOT the Tesla App.

Also can anyone who has used this solution tell me how "Hey Siri" performs when using CapPlay? Does your phone try to pick up the request or does the Tablet/CarPlay device handle the requests when active? When using it in my other car which has native CarPlay there is the button on the steering wheel that you press to handle "Hey Siri" requests but that is not an option in this instance so I am wondering how having to give audible requests is handled.
It depends on how you set it. The Carlinkit adapter has a mic on it, and if you don't use the Bluetooth ByPass channel it will use the box's mic, if you don't then your bluetooth connection to the car will be primary.

• Informative
Reactions: muddie
So I have this setup working - but the wireless carplay device seems to use wifi and bluetooth at the same time - which is fine. Except when i get back home - if i leave the tablet plugged in - the phone stays connected to the car and doesnt switch over to the house. Is there a setting to have it only use bluetooth?

Which setup, specifically?

I think CarPlay mainly uses WiFi, the Bluetooth is mostly for the initial handshake (I might have that backwards).
Sorry.

I have a fire tablet running AutoKit. I have the iphone connected to carlinkit carplay device and to the Tesla. Everything works great. I can use Siri, etc.

But, when i park the car, the phone stays connected to the carlinkit wifi. The only way I've found to disconnect it is to unplug the usb cable each time. This is not a big deal - but wondering if there is a way to have it disconnect from carplay when i leave the car (i.e the car turns off)

So apparently CarLinkit turned my hack into a product for $240. (🔥 🔥 Wireless Apple CarPlay Dashboard Console 2.0 - Carlinkit)

I'm giving it a try and will report with results once I get it (supposedly sitting at JFK right now awaiting customs clearance).
I looked at that but from what I could deduce it is no good for Teslas. Even though it seems to say on the web site description that it will send audio from the unit to the car sound system via Bluetooth, it doesn't. I asked the guy who posted the YouTube review that is on that product page (linked here) to try it with Bluetooth because he had only tried using the AUX IN jack and he said that he couldn't get it to work. It seems that it can connect to your car via bluetooth but only if it is not simultaneously connected to your phone which it needs to be for CarPlay. So the only other options for audio connectivity to the car are an AUX IN jack, which the Tesla doesn't have or the FM Frequency tuner, which the Tesla doesn't have. Well mine doesn't anyway. No actual tuner just digital radio stations.

So I would be very interested to see how you go with it. If it does work then I'll get one of these but if it doesn't I'm going to start gathering all the elements you outlined in the original post and build my own.

So apparently CarLinkit turned my hack into a product for $240. (🔥 🔥 Wireless Apple CarPlay Dashboard Console 2.0 - Carlinkit)

I'm giving it a try and will report with results once I get it (supposedly sitting at JFK right now awaiting customs clearance).
I'm thinking about it too. When did you order? Did you pay the extra $10 for expedited shipping?
I looked at that but from what I could deduce it is no good for Teslas. Even though it seems to say on the web site description that it will send audio from the unit to the car sound system via Bluetooth, it doesn't. I asked the guy who posted the YouTube review that is on that product page (linked here) to try it with Bluetooth because he had only tried using the AUX IN jack and he said that he couldn't get it to work.
I'm optimistic that it can work, but not in the way you described. See my post here for a description of the Audio Channel feature in the Carlinkit.

What you're describing would have the audio flow from the phone to the tablet to the car over Bluetooth.

What I'm hoping for is for the audio to flow from the phone to the car over Bluetooth, bypassing the tablet.

This works fine with the Carlinkit now. I would think they could make the same thing work with this unit.

Reactions: muddie
What you're describing would have the audio flow from the phone to the tablet to the car over Bluetooth.
What I'm hoping for is for the audio to flow from the phone to the car over Bluetooth, bypassing the tablet.
This works fine with the Carlinkit now. I would think they could make the same thing work with this unit.
Ahh OK. I hope that works then. I will await a report from @PorthosJon to see if that works. If it does then I will buy one for sure.

Excited to see how this works. I have a 2011 Toyota Highlander that this could be useful in as well. I was looking at the workaround solution that has been proposed with the Android tablet, but I wondering for those that have built the workaround with the tablet, how does the audio channel work between Bluetooth, the box, and the Tesla?

Excited to see how this works. I have a 2011 Toyota Highlander that this could be useful in as well. I was looking at the workaround solution that has been proposed with the Android tablet, but I wondering for those that have built the workaround with the tablet, how does the audio channel work between Bluetooth, the box, and the Tesla?
Don't know. Will see when it arrives.

Anxious for your feedback. When you do expect to receive it?
Apparently today:
1632489215823.png