Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CarPlay & Android Auto Hack - Walkthrough

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty impressive indeed. To be clear, not sure if you're were thinking or implying this, but I'm not Michal. I am a fan of his work and have been checking in frequently on his Twitter, which says a lot because I'm not a Twitter user really.

I'm going to try to explain what I understand about his solution for anyone who's interested....

His solution is similar to what others, myself included, have done or tried. Start with a Carlinkit USB dongle and attach it to an Android tablet or smartphone. That tablet becomes the CarPlay touchscreen when paired with that dongle. What's inelegant about that solution is you now have a separate display that you have to mount and power and maintain.

Michal's solution takes that same Carlinkit USB dongle and attaches it to a system that acts as a server. That server is connected to by the Tesla browser. So now a window on the Tesla screen is the touchscreen interface for CarPlay (instead of an Android tablet).

That system consists of two Raspberry Pi computers with an LTE modem. He says it'll eventually be reduced to one Raspberry Pi, but he plans on release what he presently has. The LTE modem is needed because the Tesla has to connect to the WiFi hotspot created by the Pi. If there is no Internet behind that WiFi then apparently the Tesla won't use it.

I'm excited to try this out. Hope he releases something soon.
Thanks for that information. LOL, I know that you’re not Michal; I was just giving him a shoutout. I actually left the same post directly on his Twitter feed. I guess all the programming he was doing was so that everything connects and displays properly and the touchscreen works. One question though, since everything connects by WiFi and BT, and there’s no physical connection to the car (other than power I’d imagine), do you think it would be possible for the steering wheel controls to ever control items in CarPlay? Not really a dealbreaker, since it looks like the touchscreen works as a tappable surface with CarPlay in the browser window.

do you think it would be possible for the steering wheel controls to ever control items in CarPlay?
Not sure what you're looking for when you say "control items in CarPlay". If you're looking for control like some vehicles have (maybe BMW, Mercedes, not sure) where you roll a controller and click to activate buttons in CarPlay then I don't know, don't think so.

But if you want to play and pause music, skip to next track or back, volume, and so forth, then absolutely yes. I had all those capabilities with my Carlinkit and Android phone (as a tablet, small touchscreen). Also have that capability with my current solution. I see no reason that wouldn't work on his implementation.

Pretty impressive indeed. To be clear, not sure if you're were thinking or implying this, but I'm not Michal. I am a fan of his work and have been checking in frequently on his Twitter, which says a lot because I'm not a Twitter user really.

I'm going to try to explain what I understand about his solution for anyone who's interested....

His solution is similar to what others, myself included, have done or tried. Start with a Carlinkit USB dongle and attach it to an Android tablet or smartphone. That tablet becomes the CarPlay touchscreen when paired with that dongle. What's inelegant about that solution is you now have a separate display that you have to mount and power and maintain.

Michal's solution takes that same Carlinkit USB dongle and attaches it to a system that acts as a server. That server is connected to by the Tesla browser. So now a window on the Tesla screen is the touchscreen interface for CarPlay (instead of an Android tablet).

That system consists of two Raspberry Pi computers with an LTE modem. He says it'll eventually be reduced to one Raspberry Pi, but he plans on release what he presently has. The LTE modem is needed because the Tesla has to connect to the WiFi hotspot created by the Pi. If there is no Internet behind that WiFi then apparently the Tesla won't use it.

I see I am going to need a crash course on Raspberry Pi

Not sure what you're looking for when you say "control items in CarPlay". If you're looking for control like some vehicles have (maybe BMW, Mercedes, not sure) where you roll a controller and click to activate buttons in CarPlay then I don't know, don't think so.

But if you want to play and pause music, skip to next track or back, volume, and so forth, then absolutely yes. I had all those capabilities with my Carlinkit and Android phone (as a tablet, small touchscreen). Also have that capability with my current solution. I see no reason that wouldn't work on his implementation.
Thanks; I want to want to play and pause music, skip to next track or back, control volume, and ideally use the right scroll button press to launch Siri rather than (or preferably in addition to) Tesla’s voice commands. On my wife’s X3, a short button press on her steering wheel voice control launches the native BMW voice assistant, and a long press activates Siri on her built-in wireless CarPlay. I’m hoping for something similar.

There is an LTE module connected to one of the Pi's in his setup.
That's correct.

And it's a concern about this solution. First, you'll have an additional monthly fee on your cellphone bill for a hotspot. Will it work as well as the Tesla cellular connection - since you'd effectively be replacing it. The developer is using an LTE USB device that is made by Huwaei that seems rare and may or may not work with carriers in the US. There are other devices and services you can get in the US, but I don't know how difficult it will be to veer from his implementation.

What happens to Premium Connectivity on the Tesla? I have it and like the satellite image maps. If I'm connecting through the Pi then do those still work? Can I drop the Premium Connectivity?

Also, what about the antenna and location of the LTE?

Finally, maybe it might actually work better / faster than the native cellular connection of the Tesla.

Time to go refresh his Twitter page for any updates :D

Reactions: samori01
As I'm mentally preparing myself for another project when the new solution is released, I've started using my current solution some more. This time I've thrown in the towel on using it wirelessly. It's so much quicker to just plug the phone in to the unit when I enter the car rather than jumping through all kinds of hoops trying to get it to connected wirelessly.

After a few days of this the experience is relatively decent.

As I'm mentally preparing myself for another project when the new solution is released, I've started using my current solution some more. This time I've thrown in the towel on using it wirelessly. It's so much quicker to just plug the phone in to the unit when I enter the car rather than jumping through all kinds of hoops trying to get it to connected wirelessly.

After a few days of this the experience is relatively decent.
Can you show your setup?

Seems these raspberry pi solutions require you to have an additional cellular data plan. A cellular data device is plugged in to the raspberry pi. It is needed to help fool the tesla security. One could justify the extra cost by dropping premium tesla connectivity I guess.
There is a new Linux based 9” center console which supports mimicking tesla S center screen , CarPlay , Anderoid auto and carLife . From what I can tell multiple resellers are offering the same hardware at different price points but with same features. Here is a YouTube video review of Hansshow’s.

There is a new Linux based 9” center console which supports mimicking tesla S center screen , CarPlay , Anderoid auto and carLife . From what I can tell multiple resellers are offering the same hardware at different price points but with same features. Here is a YouTube video review of Hansshow’s.
Yes there is :D Installed mine last weekend...

carplaydash1.png

I like this guy's channel and he has a good video about the unit. Be sure to use his discount code, was good for like $75 off.

Yes there is :D Installed mine last weekend...

View attachment 791251

I like this guy's channel and he has a good video about the unit. Be sure to use his discount code, was good for like $75 off.

Nice! How’s the music quality compare when Bluetooth source is hanshow unit vs iPhone’s Bluetooth? Any major difference? I am considering installing in my Performance Model Y.

Nice! How’s the music quality compare when Bluetooth source is hanshow unit vs iPhone’s Bluetooth? Any major difference? I am considering installing in my Performance Model Y.
Hmm. I don't know. I've been using it like my previous solutions. I let the CarPlay device handle the interface but divert the phone output over Bluetooth to the Tesla. So you're saying have the Hansshow putting out a Bluetooth signal and have the Tesla play *that* as my audio? I'll look into that.

OK, tried it out. First let me describe how I was operating this week...

My phone would connect wirelessly to CarPlay when I got in the car. I'd pull up a Podcast to play on the CarPlay display. It would play through the unit's speaker. Then I'd press the left scroll wheel to pause and again to play. At that point the sound would not be going through the Tesla's audio system. That's because my phone was the device paired via Bluetooth to the Tesla. I could still use the Tesla interface to take and make phone calls. Just like I had no additional system.

I tried the "new" way. I didn't see any settings in the Hansshow device about it's Bluetooth. But, when I went to add a new phone in the Tesla interface I saw BT-TSLA ready to pair, so I did. Now it seamlessly plays my Podcasts through the Tesla audio system without additional effort. Phone audio goes through Tesla speakers too. Not sure about the mic pickup. The downside of this arrangement is that there is no on-Tesla-screen phone control. Plus side is there are fewer choices.

Anyway, that's my quick test that I ran when arrived at my lunch spot.

My phone would connect wirelessly to CarPlay when I got in the car. I'd pull up a Podcast to play on the CarPlay display. It would play through the unit's speaker. Then I'd press the left scroll wheel to pause and again to play. At that point the sound would not be going through the Tesla's audio system. That's because my phone was the device paired via Bluetooth to the Tesla. I could still use the Tesla interface to take and make phone calls. Just like I had no additional system.

I tried the "new" way. I didn't see any settings in the Hansshow device about it's Bluetooth. But, when I went to add a new phone in the Tesla interface I saw BT-TSLA ready to pair, so I did. Now it seamlessly plays my Podcasts through the Tesla audio system without additional effort. Phone audio goes through Tesla speakers too. Not sure about the mic pickup. The downside of this arrangement is that there is no on-Tesla-screen phone control. Plus side is there are fewer choices.

Glad you realized the option the use hansshow device as what gets paired to tesla. Some instructions I saw suggest making the hansshow Bluetooth the preferred device. I assume this means tesla car looses access to your phone calendar & contacts list but I suspect most of us carplay fans won’t miss that level of integration with tesla eco system. Your phone will still act as car key 🔑 I read.

Would love to hear an update on how you like this setup. Seriously considering going this route myself. Only thing I wished it could do was show left/right blind spot alerts like the Tesla CANdash setup.

Two questions for anyone who uses this device and has a good understanding of the wiring connections:

Is it possible to mount this under my center display (over the MY refresh charging pads) instead of behind the steering wheel? Hoping to get it as close to the center console without any interference so the touchscreen is reachable. I don’t use the charging pads for my phone so it’s dead space to me. Maybe with a 3D printed “adapter” for a good fit?

Would I still need the in-line wiring of the unit into the vehicle if I want to use only the CarPlay functionality and don’t need any of the vehicle display information?

Two questions for anyone who uses this device and has a good understanding of the wiring connections:

Is it possible to mount this under my center display (over the MY refresh charging pads) instead of behind the steering wheel? Hoping to get it as close to the center console without any interference so the touchscreen is reachable. I don’t use the charging pads for my phone so it’s dead space to me. Maybe with a 3D printed “adapter” for a good fit?

Would I still need the in-line wiring of the unit into the vehicle if I want to use only the CarPlay functionality and don’t need any of the vehicle display information?
You and I think alike :D

I've seriously thought about how to do that, especially before I got the unit. I don't really care about the extra speedometer and other data repeated. I think someone could develop a mount that would attach to the back of the screen mount so that the display would be centered nicely under the main display.

Last edited: