Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CarPlay & Android Auto Hack - Walkthrough

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While the calls can be heard

You and I think alike :D

I've seriously thought about how to do that, especially before I got the unit. I don't really care about the extra speedometer and other data repeated. I think someone could develop a mount that would attach to the back of the screen mount so that the display would be centered nicely under the main display.
Exactly that. And all the wiring can be tucked into the now hidden charger space behind the unit.

While the calls can be heard over the Tesla's speakers I believe the mic may be the new display's mic and it doesn't sound as clear to the person on the other end of the call.
I can confirm now that the Hansshow display's mic is being used for phone calls while the caller is heard through the speakers of the Tesla. There is a significant degradation in sound quality for the caller on the other end using this setup. I think I might have a suitable work-around, will need to experiment a bit more.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
I can confirm now that the Hansshow display's mic is being used for phone calls while the caller is heard through the speakers of the Tesla. There is a significant degradation in sound quality for the caller on the other end using this setup. I think I might have a suitable work-around, will need to experiment a bit more.
That sucks regarding the mic. Hopeful about the workaround...

Looks like a Firmware update may have fixed this:
9. Fix the echo problem

If you use localhost make a phone call and another side can
not hear you. Change the channel to handset for phone module
or loundspeaker.

Link from Hansshow forum (note: I can't tell if this is for the 9" Linux version or not) - Version 0618 - Google Drive

Another post had this to say:
What I've been doing to bypass the BT issue is to connect my phone's BT to the Tesla and handle calls from the Tesla while still connected to Car Play on the Hansshow. Apple Car play still "sees" the call, but it uses the Car's mic and speakers instead of the Hansshow screens Mic and one speaker. This has cut the echo and background noise.

• Informative
Link from Hansshow forum (note: I can't tell if this is for the 9" Linux version or not)
Can't tell completely from browsing the Google Drive link but I'd say it's not. The dates on those files are from around June 2021. It's April 2022 right now. The 9" Linux version has not been out too long.

But, what I did learn from your post is there's a forum where people are talking about this device? I'm gonna go find it.

@timeshifter & @PorthosJon I'm wondering whether this was you:

I remember seeing it here. The reason is I've read the forum and it seems like the best way of getting CarPlay in my M3 is the fire tablet route.
From what I can tell the only downsides are
- working out the power situation (i.e powering down) and
- having to start and stop the music every time you get in.

I did hold out hope that this might be released soon (or at least a car version) since it advertises dual receivers (although, thinking about it now, I actually want the audio to go directly from the phone.

Anyway; I just wondered whether that was you and you'd switched back.

I don't think I'm going to wait for the twitter dev's hack because although it's very clever

- I have the older processor and I'm unconvinced this would be anything more than frustrating / laggy.
- I don't know when it would be released.
- I'd have to have a raspberry pi too anyway.

• Informative
Anyway; I just wondered whether that was you and you'd switched back.
That's not my video but my first attempt at CarPlay was a similar install. I feel ill thinking about it. That install and others like it use the Carlinkit adapter paired with an Android device. I went through several Android devices - two different Lenovo tablets, a Kindle Fire and two Samsung big screen phones. I also bought an expensive power splitter device and other accessories and mounts to make it all work. It was OK but now that I've got the Hansshow device all that looks like garbage in retrospect.

I was also really pleased with a dedicated CarPlay device made by Carlinkit... at first. Don't know if it was an iOS update or whatever, but it would never connect wirelessly more than 1 time out of 10 after a while.

The Hansshow is the best integrated device. No ugly wires or figuring out power solutions. It turns on with the Tesla screen and off with it too. I *knock wood* don't have to think about it. Only drawback is the mounting location and every now and then CarPlay won't connect and I have to reboot the device. But it connects about 90% of the time. I wish they made a bracket to mount it under the main screen.

• Informative
That's not my video but my first attempt at CarPlay was a similar install. I feel ill thinking about it. That install and others like it use the Carlinkit adapter paired with an Android device. I went through several Android devices - two different Lenovo tablets, a Kindle Fire and two Samsung big screen phones. I also bought an expensive power splitter device and other accessories and mounts to make it all work. It was OK but now that I've got the Hansshow device all that looks like garbage in retrospect.

I was also really pleased with a dedicated CarPlay device made by Carlinkit... at first. Don't know if it was an iOS update or whatever, but it would never connect wirelessly more than 1 time out of 10 after a while.

The Hansshow is the best integrated device. No ugly wires or figuring out power solutions. It turns on with the Tesla screen and off with it too. I *knock wood* don't have to think about it. Only drawback is the mounting location and every now and then CarPlay won't connect and I have to reboot the device. But it connects about 90% of the time. I wish they made a bracket to mount it under the main screen.
I'm curious, because I gave up on the hacked model as I relied more and more on FSD Beta, I have no need of the CarPlay integrations, as I'm not really doing the navigation anymore. The only reason I would really like a better CarPlay integration is for Siri not connecting like it's a call and having to say "hey Siri" and then wait 5 seconds for the car to switch into phone mode and be ready to listen. But on the flip side, everything I asked Hanshow about the unit seemed to say that phone calls and the like all went through their built in mic & speaker, and not through the car system.

Also, the idea of having to poke it through the wheel, or duck down to be able to see it, didn't really make it seem like it was worth a $600 physical investment along with the time to properly install. I also didn't want to lose the use of those vent holes in my dash as the whole system is a delicate balance to maintain temp.

@timeshifter is what I'm saying invalid? You're the one using it who can tell us.

I'm curious, because I gave up on the hacked model as I relied more and more on FSD Beta, I have no need of the CarPlay integrations, as I'm not really doing the navigation anymore. The only reason I would really like a better CarPlay integration is for Siri not connecting like it's a call and having to say "hey Siri" and then wait 5 seconds for the car to switch into phone mode and be ready to listen. But on the flip side, everything I asked Hanshow about the unit seemed to say that phone calls and the like all went through their built in mic & speaker, and not through the car system.

Also, the idea of having to poke it through the wheel, or duck down to be able to see it, didn't really make it seem like it was worth a $600 physical investment along with the time to properly install. I also didn't want to lose the use of those vent holes in my dash as the whole system is a delicate balance to maintain temp.

@timeshifter is what I'm saying invalid? You're the one using it who can tell us.
If I got the hansshow unit, I’d eventually get a yoke steering wheel so I could see the screen easily. Lol, one mod leads to another.

@PorthosJon First, regarding blocking the vents, etc. This unit is somewhat smaller than the unit the were selling before (and still selling I think). I paid about $425 for mine not $600.

I'm not using mine the way Hansshow describes it. I can use it that way, but I'm sticking with my way.

The Hansshow way. Phone connects to display, display connects to car. The car's speakers deliver the sound. However, for phone calls the mic on the display is used, not the Tesla mic.

My way. Phone connects to display and to the car. I can use the Tesla interface to handle phone calls. The car's speakers AND mic are used for calls. For other audio like Podcasts it goes through the car's sound system ... after ... I pause and play the music the very first time. For phone calls sometimes I have to select the car as the audio source rather than CarPlay.

I feel like I'm repeating myself, not sure if that addresses your questions. I'd be happy to explain further. Feels like a thorough video would be helpful, but I kinda suck at making videos.

• Informative
@PorthosJon First, regarding blocking the vents, etc. This unit is somewhat smaller than the unit the were selling before (and still selling I think). I paid about $425 for mine not $600.

I'm not using mine the way Hansshow describes it. I can use it that way, but I'm sticking with my way.

The Hansshow way. Phone connects to display, display connects to car. The car's speakers deliver the sound. However, for phone calls the mic on the display is used, not the Tesla mic.

My way. Phone connects to display and to the car. I can use the Tesla interface to handle phone calls. The car's speakers AND mic are used for calls. For other audio like Podcasts it goes through the car's sound system ... after ... I pause and play the music the very first time. For phone calls sometimes I have to select the car as the audio source rather than CarPlay.

I feel like I'm repeating myself, not sure if that addresses your questions. I'd be happy to explain further. Feels like a thorough video would be helpful, but I kinda suck at making videos.
No worries... it makes sense. My thing is that the biggest reasons I would still use CarPlay over what is in the native Tesla interface are:
<rant>
  1. I like using Siri for messaging while on the go. The Tesla implementation of messaging is pitiful compared to Siri commands and dictation. Really Tesla should just wash it's hands at this one. None of the old messages are available, no way to repeat it. Doesn't confirm what you say by voice before a send. Every single action with texting within the native Tesla interface makes it as bad as picking up your phone and texting; which is not only illegal, but really, really stupid. As I said before the experience of using "hey Siri" when connected to the car via BT is pitiful.
  2. I like audio books. Probably too much. I miss being able to use Audible in a CarPlay interface. Apple's audio book system sucks, and the integration of Audible with iOS sucks too, sometimes it just stops playing and I can't use Siri to restart Audible. So really the only solution here is CarPlay, or Elon please give me Audible in the system apps.
  3. Calls also suck in the Tesla Interface. Can't use the steering wheel controls.... really? Mr. Safety Score wants me to take my eyes off the road and fumble to punch a virtual button on the screen? I can stop the radio, change the volume, change the speed of my car, change the follow distance of my car, but hanging up a call with those same buttons is a bad idea?? Really?
</rant>

That said, I don't think the Hanshow method is useful (mainly because I don't want their little speaker or bad mics) and I think the way you do it preserves the biggest annoyances for me (which is what I found in the hacked version too). So I think I'm going to have to sit on my butt and wait for either: a) Elon to make the integrations better, or b) someone comes up with a way to hard wire into the car speakers and mics to hardline the CarPlay Receiver/device into the car sound system.

@timeshifter just so you know this was not even remotely a rant at you. Thank you so much for explaining how you are doing stuff. My problem is that it really is just once removed from the crappy integration experience you have out of the box with the Tesla. So I'll just live with it until Elon makes it better, because I can't stand driving my wife's LEAF.....

No worries... it makes sense. My thing is that the biggest reasons I would still use CarPlay over what is in the native Tesla interface are:
<rant>
  1. I like using Siri for messaging while on the go. The Tesla implementation of messaging is pitiful compared to Siri commands and dictation. Really Tesla should just wash it's hands at this one. None of the old messages are available, no way to repeat it. Doesn't confirm what you say by voice before a send. Every single action with texting within the native Tesla interface makes it as bad as picking up your phone and texting; which is not only illegal, but really, really stupid. As I said before the experience of using "hey Siri" when connected to the car via BT is pitiful.
  2. I like audio books. Probably too much. I miss being able to use Audible in a CarPlay interface. Apple's audio book system sucks, and the integration of Audible with iOS sucks too, sometimes it just stops playing and I can't use Siri to restart Audible. So really the only solution here is CarPlay, or Elon please give me Audible in the system apps.
  3. Calls also suck in the Tesla Interface. Can't use the steering wheel controls.... really? Mr. Safety Score wants me to take my eyes off the road and fumble to punch a virtual button on the screen? I can stop the radio, change the volume, change the speed of my car, change the follow distance of my car, but hanging up a call with those same buttons is a bad idea?? Really?
</rant>

That said, I don't think the Hanshow method is useful (mainly because I don't want their little speaker or bad mics) and I think the way you do it preserves the biggest annoyances for me (which is what I found in the hacked version too). So I think I'm going to have to sit on my butt and wait for either: a) Elon to make the integrations better, or b) someone comes up with a way to hard wire into the car speakers and mics to hardline the CarPlay Receiver/device into the car sound system.

@timeshifter just so you know this was not even remotely a rant at you. Thank you so much for explaining how you are doing stuff. My problem is that it really is just once removed from the crappy integration experience you have out of the box with the Tesla. So I'll just live with it until Elon makes it better, because I can't stand driving my wife's LEAF.....
I completely agree with everything you said and these are the reasons why I have looked at the same aftermarket options as you. I even went so far as to purchase an 11" digital rearview mirror with wireless CarPlay built in. That one had WAY too many limitations so returned in 24 hours.

I use Prologue instead of Audible but both have same limitations on iPhone/Tesla including the stupid phone trying to play Apple Music instead of the audiobook more than 50% of the time when I get in the car. Was hoping CarPlay would solve that but not sure. I'm wondering about just buying a MagSafe mount and attaching the phone to the touchscreen for slightly easier access to the apps.

Ah I didn’t know you had that installed. Isn’t it a pain to reach over the wheel to touch the screen?

Ah I didn’t know you had that installed. Isn’t it a pain to reach over the wheel to touch the screen?
I actually reach around the sides of the steering wheel and I think I use my thumbs to operate it. While not ideal it's a trade off like anything else. Previous system I had it sitting on the console, convenient to reach but my eyes were well away from the road. With this system I feel like my eyes are closer to the road. You can also operate it with the steering wheel buttons / rollers but I haven't gotten the hang of that yet.

I actually reach around the sides of the steering wheel and I think I use my thumbs to operate it. While not ideal it's a trade off like anything else. Previous system I had it sitting on the console, convenient to reach but my eyes were well away from the road. With this system I feel like my eyes are closer to the road. You can also operate it with the steering wheel buttons / rollers but I haven't gotten the hang of that yet.
Thinking about an eventual yoke steering wheel for easier access ? I was never in to the yoke concept but if I got a unit like the hansshow, I might be tempted.

Thinking about an eventual yoke steering wheel for easier access ?
I briefly considered this. Looked at a few videos and read various forum posts. The takeaway for me was a) the steering system of the car is not designed for a yoke, whereas other cars that have them have different gear ratios or something and b) such a modification could affect claims in the case of an accident, etc.

So I bought this "Verkokappa" one off Amazon, which seems to be the same as the Hansshow one: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B09DKXVFR6

The QR code included for firmware updates points to this Google drive which got a new update (0.3.5) released today: Tesla T3 HUD Upgrade - Google Drive

Will that firmware work on the Hansshow branded display? Will it turn your car into a pumpkin? I don't know. There's also no release notes.
[Edit: There are release notes inside the zip, but they're useless: "System stability optimization", "The display effect is optimized", and "Some bug fixes."]

With that out of the way... a few thoughts after having it installed for one very short drive (before installing that update; mine came with 0.3.0):

If you run the audio through the unit's bluetooth, the lag is absurd. If you run it through the car's bluetooth, hitting play/pause to get the audio to go through the car instead of the display's *terrible* speaker is annoying. Also, the nav voice will go through the terrible speaker, which somehow sounds worse than a 15-year-old Garmin.

With the display installed, the left wheel will control next/previous track even if you're in the middle of adjusting the steering wheel position. (The wheel moves as well, so just select an audio source you don't care about skipping around in.)

Other than that, it seems to be working great.

So I bought this "Verkokappa" one off Amazon, which seems to be the same as the Hansshow one: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B09DKXVFR6

The QR code included for firmware updates points to this Google drive which got a new update (0.3.5) released today: Tesla T3 HUD Upgrade - Google Drive

Will that firmware work on the Hansshow branded display? Will it turn your car into a pumpkin? I don't know. There's also no release notes.
[Edit: There are release notes inside the zip, but they're useless: "System stability optimization", "The display effect is optimized", and "Some bug fixes."]

With that out of the way... a few thoughts after having it installed for one very short drive (before installing that update; mine came with 0.3.0):

If you run the audio through the unit's bluetooth, the lag is absurd. If you run it through the car's bluetooth, hitting play/pause to get the audio to go through the car instead of the display's *terrible* speaker is annoying. Also, the nav voice will go through the terrible speaker, which somehow sounds worse than a 15-year-old Garmin.

With the display installed, the left wheel will control next/previous track even if you're in the middle of adjusting the steering wheel position. (The wheel moves as well, so just select an audio source you don't care about skipping around in.)

Other than that, it seems to be working great.
Thanks. Was wondering about Verkokappa vs Hansshow brand since the hardware appeared to be the same. I’ve not heard of the new hansshow having long Bluetooth lag. Hopefully the Verkokappa update you have not installed will address the absurdly long Bluetooth lag.