Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CarPlay & Android Auto Hack - Walkthrough

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Absurdly long" might be overstating things a bit... it's certainly at least a second and noticeably longer than connecting to the Tesla directly. Perhaps I should have said "annoyingly long". Long enough that you wonder if you hit play/pause or not. The update didn't improve the Bluetooth lag, but the speedometer now shows "mph" instead of "mP/h", so that's a plus.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
If you run the audio through the unit's bluetooth, the lag is absurd.
I only ran mine that way briefly but don't recall any lag.
Also, the nav voice will go through the terrible speaker
Hmm, I don't use voice to for navigation instructions personally. But I presume you mean using CarPlay navigation with Apple Maps?
With the display installed, the left wheel will control next/previous track
I haven't mastered the use of this yet. Not sure if I'm doing it wrong or if it's inconsistent. Which app are you using where this works well - Podcasts, Music, etc.?

Hmm, I don't use voice to for navigation instructions personally. But I presume you mean using CarPlay navigation with Apple Maps?
Yes, exactly. I haven't tried other nav apps via CarPlay yet, but the nav voice for Apple Maps will come through the display's speaker if you are not using bluetooth connection between the display and the car for audio.

I haven't mastered the use of this yet. Not sure if I'm doing it wrong or if it's inconsistent. Which app are you using where this works well - Podcasts, Music, etc.?
Yeah, it didn't seem well documented and it is a little inconsistent. I think CarPlay thinks the scroll wheel is a dial with clockwise/counter clockwise movement not a wheel with up/down movement, so sometimes it'll move the cursor oddly.

It appears to have two modes. In the first mode, moving the right scroll wheel up or down will switch between the speedometer and the carplay displays. With carplay shown, pressing right on the scroll wheel will switch to controlling carplay.

When controlling carplay, the wheel up/down will move the cursor. Pressing right on the wheel will select the highlighted button. Pressing left on the scroll wheel will go back or home (if there is no back). Holding left on the scroll wheel will switch back to the speedometer display.

• Informative
Reactions: timeshifter
anyone know if future software upgrades could potentially brick the Hansbow??

It clearly looks like the slickest CP integration we have to date
No one knows the future, but I can't imagine that it's highly likely, especially if you're mostly interested in it for CarPlay like I am. I really don't care about the speedometer and other functions, I stay on CarPlay almost all the time.

The signals it receives to operate the speedometer and other data (that I / we don't care about) are more likely to be an issue if Tesla changing things in the future. But I'd say it's unlikely. Doesn't seem likely that they'd change all the commands for those functions.

For CarPlay I'd guess that the only signals it really needs are for power, brightness and when to go from day to night mode.

Well, damnit!

Looks like he's about ready to release. Hadn't seen any updates for over a month so I was happy I went with the Hansshow display.

Yeah, I'll probably do this too :D
This won't be trivial. He had two raspberry Pi going (but sounds like able to drop to 1) and I'm almost positive requires it's own cellular data connection. Not sure if can piggyback off iPhone and can't use car network.

Yep, it definitely requires its own data connection, and I don't think it can use the phone's or the car's. Apparently for Tesla to stay connected to WiFi it has to have working Internet or else it will switch back to the car's cellular data.

Raspberry Pi units are in short supply I'm hearing.

My other concern is that you'd still have Bluetooth / call and audio routing designs to figure out. Really would like to see it use the car's mic and speakers seamlessly.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
Interesting it requires two mini computers this solution by Marc Dubois requires one . Both require a usb 4G cellular modem but seems a data plans not required.
Yeah. I was/am very impressed that he’s managed to get this Up and running think the more I think about it the more i think it’s more hassle than it’s worth.

What we’re waiting for is a better product. Perhaps something that takes into account when the car is turned off and switches itself off and accepts video from the phone but audio can go directly to the car. I don’t think this is too much to ask.

As @timeshifter and others have done, I’ve gone down the path of hacky solutions that require babysitting and I’ve never been satisfied and always just ended up chucking it and losing money.

One of these days one of theee manufacturers will create something. Maybe??

I wish I could just use my iPad for CarPlay.

accepts video from the phone but audio can go directly to the car.
I believe this is doable with the new system. One of my previous hacks used the Carlinkit adapter and it's app Autokit had that as a feature, I believe they called it Audio Channel. Might be in a prior post of mine. Because of that I'm slightly optimistic about this solution.

As it stands now I'm pretty satisfied with the Hansshow screen.

I believe this is doable with the new system. One of my previous hacks used the Carlinkit adapter and it's app Autokit had that as a feature, I believe they called it Audio Channel. Might be in a prior post of mine. Because of that I'm slightly optimistic about this solution.

Yeah I can't afford a Hansshow ;(

Keeping eyes peeled!

I would go the hansshow way but leaving in south cal I'm just wondering about blocking the driver vent

I would go the hansshow way but leaving in south cal I'm just wondering about blocking the driver vent
Ping me as it gets hotter and I’ll let you know. I live in the hot 🔥 San Fernando valley. I’ll probably install my screen after a visit tobTesla service center to see if they can fix a sound of small bell bearings rattling around as one wheel turns. Don’t want them blaming the screen. Lol.

Ping me as it gets hotter and I’ll let you know. I live in the hot 🔥 San Fernando valley. I’ll probably install my screen after a visit tobTesla service center to see if they can fix a sound of small bell bearings rattling around as one wheel turns. Don’t want them blaming the screen. Lol.
I will but no idea how to ping you it look like i can not send message!
So funny You have got the exact same car I refused for different reasons so I got the same config car mid February Santa Clarita Valley

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
I will but no idea how to ping you it look like i can not send message!
So funny You have got the exact same car I refused for different reasons so I got the same config car mid February Santa Clarita Valley
Perhaps after you exit new member status (based on time) you can send private messages 🤷‍♂️

Another way is to type @ and my username in a comment.