Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CarPlay & Android Auto Hack - Walkthrough

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You guys remember how I'm always talking about how to route audio, send it through the unit or bypass it and the pros and cons of each. Well I was excited to learn the the Gapinski solution solves this as he uses the Bluetooth audio channel setting in the Carlinkit app. That's really the best solution (and what I've been mimicking with my Hansshow display setup).

The project is moving forward, a couple of people have installed. One guy has made a 3D printed case. Articles on Macrumors and The Verge. Install guide is out.

carplay-settings-audio-channel.png

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Just got done installing a hansshow 9” display. Took me a lot longer than I expected about 8 hours! I’m not much of a car modder so perhaps that’s why. Most time was spent trying to unplug computer and then insert the splitter cable in to computer. Seemed like I had to angle splitter about 95 degrees for a tad and then go to 90. To get computer cable out, I had to keep the little grey button depressed which jiggling the connector left and right while pulling via connector and not the bundled wires. I had to do this for about 3 minutes straight!
Anyhow so far the unit works as advertised and I managed to not break any of my interior in process. I watched YouTubers mountain ranger & the killowatts’s installation tutorials. Each takes a Similar approach with subtle differences. Mountain ranger’s tutorial had me taking off more trim which might have made it a tad easier to fiddle with the tesla computer connectors…but that step still took me hours.

@timeshifter , after you installed the hansshow unit did your trunk stop soft closing? Mine rarely soft closes now perhaps 1 out of 10 tries. It just slams shut. Trunk still soft opens always. My soft open/slow, I am referring to the sound of the trunks latch Motor catching the latch and slowly closing/opening. I'm thinking the issue is not due to thehansshow display as I do not see how it would affect the trunk operation.

@timeshifter , after you installed the hansshow unit did your trunk stop soft closing? Mine rarely soft closes now perhaps 1 out of 10 tries. It just slams shut. Trunk still soft opens always. My soft open/slow, I am referring to the sound of the trunks latch Motor catching the latch and slowly closing/opening. I'm thinking the issue is not due to thehansshow display as I do not see how it would affect the trunk operation.
No change with the trunk closing on mine.

• Informative
Just got done installing a hansshow 9” display. Took me a lot longer than I expected about 8 hours! I’m not much of a car modder so perhaps that’s why. Most time was spent trying to unplug computer and then insert the splitter cable in to computer. Seemed like I had to angle splitter about 95 degrees for a tad and then go to 90. To get computer cable out, I had to keep the little grey button depressed which jiggling the connector left and right while pulling via connector and not the bundled wires. I had to do this for about 3 minutes straight!
Anyhow so far the unit works as advertised and I managed to not break any of my interior in process. I watched YouTubers mountain ranger & the killowatts’s installation tutorials. Each takes a Similar approach with subtle differences. Mountain ranger’s tutorial had me taking off more trim which might have made it a tad easier to fiddle with the tesla computer connectors…but that step still took me hours.
Would love to hear a report from you after using it for a week. Especially making calls and if stuck with tiny speaker on device for those.

No change with the trunk closing on mine.

Fixed the trunk issue via this thread,

If Hanshow came out with a standalone thing that wasn't a big install and could just sit below the display I think I'd buy it.

Meanwhile Coral Vision seem to be coming out with a "dual bluetooth" motorbike version??? So perhaps there's more on the way.

I feel like we're on the cusp of someone releasing something ideal. I still don't like the hanshow because you have to poke your hand forward to use it. Be easier with a yoke I expect.

9” Linux Dashboard Display
(a few companies sell the same exact product)

IMG_6339.jpeg
IMG_6340.jpeg

(The display is not this blurry, just a bad night photo)
Features:
1) Gui showing speed, efficiency, gear selection, distance driven, trip distance, bringers, etc.
2) Wireless Apple Carplay
3) Wired Anderoid Auto . I do not have Android phone so can’t comment on Android Auto experience.
4) Ability to show split view containing appleCar play / Android auto & speedometer gui.

Apple CarPlay Experience

Apple CarPlay experience is mostly very good if you follow the suggested setup of connecting Tesla stereo to Display unit via Bluetooth. All audio is output via the Tesla speakers. There is one area where the experience is not so great, making & receiving phone calls via cell phone and other CarPlay apps such as Zoom, FaceTime, etc. When audio is setup in the suggested manner given by the manual (described later), the person you are taking to hears their statements echo during the conversation. The delay is due to the chain of audio (iPhone CarPlay connection [audio -> Display unit (microphone) -> Tesla Speakers (via connection to Display’s bluetooth, audio from phone seems to have a 1.25 second delay). The delay causes the microphone used in Display device to hear the audio played back from the Tesla stereo speakers when having phone/audio conversations. I do not get a lot of phone calls when driving and when I do, I tend to pull over to make my calls so this quirk doesn’t really bother me. I’d pull over, switch my bluetooth connection to the iPhone and make the call using my iPhone or Tesla phonebook. However, a heavy phone user might be annoyed greatly.

Often asked questions:
  1. Is the display quality good? Yes. Nice and sharp.
  2. Is your air conditioning impacted much since the unit is in-front of the vent? No. I just adjusted my vents to point to the left and right. I also activate the passenger vent and point it in my direction sometimes.
  3. Is the display responsive to touches or is it laggy? It is fairly responsive.
  4. Do all the required install tools come with the unit? Yes. An interior trim pry tool is included. One side is pronged to help pop off plastic clips. You’ll see this tool in the install videos listed below. I also had my own set of interior pry tools which I used for removing plastic clips.
  5. Are the instructions good? No. You'll have to search YouTube for the many install videos about the 9" linux version...not the 10.8" version with front camera...that's an older model.
  6. Will front camera be an optional add on at any point? I don't recall seeing an extra opening on the display for the video circuit..so I'm not expecting an add on to be offered.
  7. Does the unit support wired Apple CarPlay too? No, wireless only.
  8. Does the unit support wireless Android Auto? The manual says wired connection only. I do not have an aneroid device to test with.
  9. How hard was the console to install? This was the first modification I’ve done myself to a car. I spent 10 hours over the course of two days. Someone who has prior experience with car interiors and dealing with the wiring connectors would probably get it done in 2-3 hours. I think I could do it more quickly if I had to again. If you have back issues or are worried about straining your back, you might want to have someone else perform the step of removing/installing the data cables as you need to get in an uncomfortable position.
    The hardest part of the install was removing the data cable from the Tesla computer. I spent 3 hours trying to get it out until I found a tip mentioned in only a few YouTube videos. To get the cable out, you need to wiggle the data cable up & down while pushing down the small clip on the data cable connector & also applying some force to pull it outward. Keep doing this for 5 minutes straight. Don’t stop. Don’t apply tons of outward force & I did not pull on the cables in order to get the connector out. Pulling on the cables could damage the connection. I got the cable out within 3 minutes after following this methodology. Can’t believe I spent 3 hours previously (yes I was pushing the data connector’s clip down) with no luck. To get the splitter’s data cable connector in, I had to insert it not perpendicular to where I imagined the connection was. There is a metal railing in the way. Feel with your fingers to map out the area. I spent an hour again trying to get it in. Then I realized I had to insert it at a slight angle rather than perfectly perpendicular to get the connector past the railing and then straighten out to an angle perpendicular to the computer’s port. After I tried that methodology, I got it in within 5 minutes. Sorry, I don’t have photos or anything.

Here were some install videos I found helpful:
    “Unboxing and 1st Impressions of the Display Centre Console Dashboard” by DaxM

“Tesla Model 3/Y - Display Touch Dash Screen with Apple Carplay and Android Auto - Installation” by Mtn Ranger

“NEW Display Model Y/3 Steering Wheel Screen Apple CarPlay and Android Auto Ultra HD Installation” by The MegaWatts

10. Are there firmware updates available? The unit has the ability to be upgraded via a usb-c stick which is FAT32 formatted. As of this time there are no updates available that I know of. I contacted Display to find out and they said none are available and best way to know when updates come out is to join their Facebook group. Which probably gives them basic info about you aka free marketing data for them.
  11. How is the audio quality considering the manual says to make a chain such as iphone CarPlay (bluetooth audio)->display->Tesla infotainment via bluetooth . The audio seems pretty good considering the two bluetooth hops. You can also connect the Tesla to your iPhone to remove one bluetooth hop. I find there is less lag between playing/pausing music and hearing output via Tesla stereo. TIP: initially audio will play from display’s internal speaker. On Tesla infotainment’s bluetooth source bar, push pause play icon and the sound will transfer from display to Tesla speakers. Once a while, sound will revert to display speaker. Repeat the process. Audio from navigation apps and messages app will always come from display speaker when using this setup.
FYI @Truchkinator @BilliganSailor

View attachment 807735View attachment 807736
Features:
1) Gui showing speed, efficiency, gear selection, distance driven, trip distance, bringers, etc.
3) Wired Anderoid Auto . I do not have Android phone so can’t comment on Android Auto experience.
4) Ability to show split view containing appleCar play / Android auto & speedometer gui.

Apple CarPlay Experience

Apple CarPlay experience is mostly very good if you follow the suggested setup of connecting Tesla stereo to Display unit via Bluetooth. All audio is output via the Tesla speakers. There is one area where the experience is not so great, making & receiving phone calls via cell phone and other CarPlay apps such as Zoom, FaceTime, etc. When audio is setup in the suggested manner given by the manual (described later), the person you are taking to hears their statements echo during the conversation. The delay is due to the chain of audio (iPhone CarPlay connection [audio -> Display unit (microphone) -> Tesla Speakers (via connection to Display’s bluetooth, audio from phone seems to have a 1.25 second delay). The delay causes the microphone used in Display device to hear the audio played back from the Tesla stereo speakers when having phone/audio conversations. I do not get a lot of phone calls when driving and when I do, I tend to pull over to make my calls so this quirk doesn’t really bother me. I’d pull over, switch my bluetooth connection to the iPhone and make the call using my iPhone or Tesla phonebook. However, a heavy phone user might be annoyed greatly.

Often asked questions:
  2. Is your air conditioning impacted much since the unit is in-front of the vent? No. I just adjusted my vents to point to the left and right. I also activate the passenger vent and point it in my direction sometimes.
  3. Is the display responsive to touches or is it laggy? It is fairly responsive.
  4. Do all the required install tools come with the unit? Yes. An interior trim pry tool is included. One side is pronged to help pop off plastic clips. You’ll see this tool in the install videos listed below. I also had my own set of interior pry tools which I used for removing plastic clips.
  5. Are the instructions good? No. You'll have to search YouTube for the many install videos about the 9" linux version...not the 10.8" version with front camera...that's an older model.
  6. Will front camera be an optional add on at any point? I don't recall seeing an extra opening on the display for the video circuit..so I'm not expecting an add on to be offered.
  8. Does the unit support wireless Android Auto? The manual says wired connection only. I do not have an aneroid device to test with.
  9. How hard was the console to install? This was the first modification I’ve done myself to a car. I spent 10 hours over the course of two days. Someone who has prior experience with car interiors and dealing with the wiring connectors would probably get it done in 2-3 hours. I think I could do it more quickly if I had to again. If you have back issues or are worried about straining your back, you might want to have someone else perform the step of removing/installing the data cables as you need to get in an uncomfortable position.
    The hardest part of the install was removing the data cable from the Tesla computer. I spent 3 hours trying to get it out until I found a tip mentioned in only a few YouTube videos. To get the cable out, you need to wiggle the data cable up & down while pushing down the small clip on the data cable connector & also applying some force to pull it outward. Keep doing this for 5 minutes straight. Don’t stop. Don’t apply tons of outward force & I did not pull on the cables in order to get the connector out. Pulling on the cables could damage the connection. I got the cable out within 3 minutes after following this methodology. Can’t believe I spent 3 hours previously (yes I was pushing the data connector’s clip down) with no luck. To get the splitter’s data cable connector in, I had to insert it not perpendicular to where I imagined the connection was. There is a metal railing in the way. Feel with your fingers to map out the area. I spent an hour again trying to get it in. Then I realized I had to insert it at a slight angle rather than perfectly perpendicular to get the connector past the railing and then straighten out to an angle perpendicular to the computer’s port. After I tried that methodology, I got it in within 5 minutes. Sorry, I don’t have photos or anything.

“Tesla Model 3/Y - Display Touch Dash Screen with Apple Carplay and Android Auto - Installation” by Mtn Ranger

“NEW Display Model Y/3 Steering Wheel Screen Apple CarPlay and Android Auto Ultra HD Installation” by The MegaWatts

10. Are there firmware updates available? The unit has the ability to be upgraded via a usb-c stick which is FAT32 formatted. As of this time there are no updates available that I know of. I contacted Display to find out and they said none are available and best way to know when updates come out is to join their Facebook group. Which probably gives them basic info about you aka free marketing data for them.
  11. How is the audio quality considering the manual says to make a chain such as iphone CarPlay (bluetooth audio)->display->Tesla infotainment via bluetooth . The audio seems pretty good considering the two bluetooth hops. You can also connect the Tesla to your iPhone to remove one bluetooth hop. I find there is less lag between playing/pausing music and hearing output via Tesla stereo. TIP: initially audio will play from display’s internal speaker. On Tesla infotainment’s bluetooth source bar, push pause play icon and the sound will transfer from display to Tesla speakers. Once a while, sound will revert to display speaker. Repeat the process. Audio from navigation apps and messages app will always come from display speaker when using this setup.
Many, many thanks for this write up.

Posts like this is what make this forum special to me. Not only did you cover your entire experience, but you went way into depth on the install.. with tips to help others and even posted links directly to videos that will help. This is something I've considered doing before I ever purchased my Y last year. I am an avid Apple user.. and the lack of CarPlay in my Model Y is by far my biggest gripe with the vehicle. This seems like a moderate amount of effort, that said it would make the car much more enjoyable having Waze in front of me and easy touch access to all of my CarPlay apps on the 9" screen.

thanks for this. I’m still holding out for a stand-alone CarPlay unit probably from coral vision.

I don’t understand why apple won’t either let me turn my phone into CarPlay or allow me to use an old iPad. The jailbreak hacks are not good :(

View attachment 807735View attachment 807736
Features:

Apple CarPlay Experience

Often asked questions:

I did some more testing to see if I could get rid of the Patti pants bearing their voice echoed back 3 seconds later while in phone calls , zoom. FaceTime audio. Here is what I did.
1) Set tesla to use phone as preferred Bluetooth audio source & not use the dispkay as Bluetooth audio source.
2) in iOS go to settings->general->accessibility->touch->call audio routing and select Bluetooth headset. This will force the audio to come from phone Bluetooth and seems to use the phone’s microphone during calls. So keep the phone in a holder on left side of infotainment screen or at least closer to your sitting position. I had the fan blowing during a call and my wife said noise was not too bad but you might have to lower fan in some cases.
3) when phone Bluetooth is audio source, when listening to music or podcasts via CarPlay gui sound will first come out of display’s small speaker. To make audio come from car, look at tesla infotainment’s Bluetooth audio source control and push the paus icon once to turn it in to okay mode. Now audio will come from phone and CarPlay speaker will cease producing noise. I only have to do this once .
4) all navigation audio & interaction with messages app will come from CarPlay speaker . No way around it.

Reactions: timeshifter
I did some more testing to see if I could get rid of the Patti pants bearing their voice echoed back 3 seconds later while in phone calls , zoom. FaceTime audio. Here is what I did.
1) Set tesla to use phone as preferred Bluetooth audio source & not use the dispkay as Bluetooth audio source.
2) in iOS go to settings->general->accessibility->touch->call audio routing and select Bluetooth headset. This will force the audio to come from phone Bluetooth and seems to use the phone’s microphone during calls. So keep the phone in a holder on left side of infotainment screen or at least closer to your sitting position. I had the fan blowing during a call and my wife said noise was not too bad but you might have to lower fan in some cases.
3) when phone Bluetooth is audio source, when listening to music or podcasts via CarPlay gui sound will first come out of display’s small speaker. To make audio come from car, look at tesla infotainment’s Bluetooth audio source control and push the paus icon once to turn it in to okay mode. Now audio will come from phone and CarPlay speaker will cease producing noise. I only have to do this once .
4) all navigation audio & interaction with messages app will come from CarPlay speaker . No way around it.
I'm using essentially the same setup, except I haven't tried #2.

Regarding #3, that's how I do it. Once you've paused and played again you're set until you leave the car and come back. Note that you can also press the left scroll wheel on the steering wheel which is my preference. I have noticed that there are some occasions where I don't need to pause / play to get it to work. On those occasions it's already set. Not sure why, but I think it happens when I don't play any audio right away, but maybe play it 10 minutes into a drive.

I'm getting ready to drive. Gonna give your suggestion in #2 a try.

What I've been doing is tapping the source icon once a call is made to pick the Tesla Bluetooth for each call. Inconvenient but not terrible. Can't wait to try your technique.

• Informative
Looks great but, if I'm reading this correctly, i need to Raspberry Pis and a modem and a data service constantly running?
That's correct, two Raspberry Pis although the developer stated that he hopes to get it down to one in the future. You also need to provide a data connection with a USB-LTE adapter because the Tesla computer won't stay connected to it if there's no Internet. On a Twitter reply to the developer someone mentioned connecting their phone via USB for data, implying that the dev may be working on that.