Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CarPlay & Android Auto Hack - Walkthrough

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Close, but no cigar. I think the only is the error at the bottom "Virtual touchscreen is not active. Wait for Android to boot up."

1658291144761.png

I had mine running for about a week, but mostly my wife drive the car. She is happy to have CarPlay again. the latest update without needing the lte signal is more stable, but most people would probably prefer to have the lte signal so the car can still connect. My wife prefers Tesla nav on longer drives, so the signal helps. i power the rpis with one of the usbc ports, and they stay on for quite a while after leaving the car, and during this time, if there is no lte signal, you cannot use some of the Tesla app features because the car is not online. I told her to turn off WiFi before leaving the car, but she said it failed the last time. One small feature with CarPlay is that our HomeKit garage door pops up when near our home and she can just open the garage this way without accessing phone or other remote. I am planning to put a new sim on the lte for her trip next week, and will report back what she learns.

Reactions: timeshifter
Took it for a test drive. Didn't get out of the driveway before it "locked up". I thought the machine was frozen. Rebooted it, etc. Eventually I learned that WiFi was switching off on the Tesla when I put it in R or D. Took a while to learn and figure out how to get it to stay on WiFi. You click the WiFi menu, while connected to the TeslaAndroid, select TeslaAndroid (the WiFi network SSID or name), then you can choose the option to stay connected while driving.

Once I had that figured out I was really impressed. Smooth sailing. Music and Podcasts came through the Tesla speakers with no fuss whatsoever (as opposed to my dash screen). Phone calls did their thing too.

Preliminary reports are good.

i power the rpis with one of the usbc ports
How do you do that? I have one USB-C that goes to the standard wireless charger powering one Pi and the other USB-C for the rear seat passengers powers the second Pi.
and they stay on for quite a while after leaving the car
Any idea how long?

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Took it for a test drive. Didn't get out of the driveway before it "locked up". I thought the machine was frozen. Rebooted it, etc. Eventually I learned that WiFi was switching off on the Tesla when I put it in R or D. Took a while to learn and figure out how to get it to stay on WiFi. You click the WiFi menu, while connected to the TeslaAndroid, select TeslaAndroid (the WiFi network SSID or name), then you can choose the option to stay connected while driving.

Once I had that figured out I was really impressed. Smooth sailing. Music and Podcasts came through the Tesla speakers with no fuss whatsoever (as opposed to my dash screen). Phone calls did their thing too.

Preliminary reports are good.

How do you do that? I have one USB-C that goes to the standard wireless charger powering one Pi and the other USB-C for the rear seat passengers powers the second Pi.

Any idea how long?
i use one of the usbc ports for the rear passengers, then a hub to split into 3 usb a 3.0 ports, then to the two rpi.

at least more than 10 minutes that it stays on, but i did not time it.

our one issue now is that nav announcements would pause whatever audio you are playing at the time, but would not put it back to play after the nav voice, so have to manually press play again. however, this does not happen all the time also. on a route that you have lots of turns, it became annoying.

Reactions: timeshifter
at least more than 10 minutes that it stays on, but i did not time it.
May be more than an hour. When I left the car in the garage last night after the test drive I had been listening to iHeart Radio. When I came upstairs or came back to the house after walking the dog (i.e. got close to the car) iHeart Radio on my phone would start playing. I could also see the Tesla Android WiFi signal still active as well as the Carlinkit's WiFi.

It was annoying enough with my current solution (the 9" dashboard display), but it's only active when the main screen is on. So if I leave a door or trunk open CarPlay on that device will come on. But, when all the doors and trunk are closed it's off and out of the way.

For this solution to work well for me, I or the developer is going to have to come up with a way to manage it's sleep / wake / power cycle.

I'm using this to power both Pi devices off the 12V plug in the center console. Probably important to note that this is on a 2022 Model X.
That might work for me. My 12V socket is not ideally located. I've got all the stuff shoved in the front compartment of the console where there is one USB-C port and one USB-A. I do have one of these

Combine that with your device might be a good quick fix. I can just reach in and flip the switch to turn things on and off.

I LOVE this implementation. Feels like CarPlay on any other car. Once it's up and running it just works. So much more comfortable to use on the Tesla screen vs the dash screen or any supplemental screens I've tried. No more tricks to get audio for music or phone calls to route properly. Got the 12V adapter that @focher linked and that works pretty well. Whole install is in the front console with one wire visible.

The only rough edges are the power issues in terms of when the system stays on or turns off. That's where the 9" dashboard screen has this beat. Probably because it's got a connection direct to the Tesla "computer". When I open the door it turns the screen on and CarPlay normally connects within 30 seconds without any intervention. When I get home and close the car doors, the screens all go out and my phone isn't trying to connect.

The TeslaAndroid system stays on seemingly indefinitely. One night I though it went off after an hour using the 12V. But it's also seemed stay on longer usually. If the developer or anyone can figure out how to get this thing to turn off or sleep then come on when needed, without the driver's constant attention to it, then the system would be nearly perfect.

I LOVE this implementation. Feels like CarPlay on any other car. Once it's up and running it just works. So much more comfortable to use on the Tesla screen vs the dash screen or any supplemental screens I've tried. No more tricks to get audio for music or phone calls to route properly. Got the 12V adapter that @focher linked and that works pretty well. Whole install is in the front console with one wire visible.
@timeshifter , any complaints from people on phone calls about hearing their voices echo or that your own responses seem delayed due to bluetooth lag?

@timeshifter , any complaints from people on phone calls about hearing their voices echo or that your own responses seem delayed due to bluetooth lag?
Nope, on one, including my wife who is always the first to let me know if a hands-free setup doesn't sound right. My understanding is that the Tesla system is totally handling the call. I could click the Tesla UI buttons to control the call if I wanted to. And, CarPlay has it's normal interface too.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Beware that your phone, during phone calls, has options for both CarPlay and Tesla. My wife’s phone had one time connected to CarPlay on a phone call, and hence could not hear the caller, once it is switched to Tesla, all is good.
I also experienced that the system could not boot up with a cheap usb cable, I guess it was not providing enough power. Screen says No Signal, and went into a boot loop.

• Informative
Reactions: focher
Beware that your phone, during phone calls, has options for both CarPlay and Tesla. My wife’s phone had one time connected to CarPlay on a phone call, and hence could not hear the caller, once it is switched to Tesla, all is good.
I also experienced that the system could not boot up with a cheap usb cable, I guess it was not providing enough power. Screen says No Signal, and went into a boot loop.
That kinda thing happened all the time with other solutions. Been pretty solid here, don't think it's happened once yet. They may be because I used @ElectricAnt54 's technique of ensuring calls go through Bluetooth of Tesla

"2) in iOS go to settings->general->accessibility->touch->call audio routing and select Bluetooth headset. This will force the audio to come from phone Bluetooth and seems to use the phone’s microphone during calls. So keep the phone in a holder on left side of infotainment screen or at least closer to your sitting position. I had the fan blowing during a call and my wife said noise was not too bad but you might have to lower fan in some cases."

For folks that have the 9" Linux Hannshow or Verkokappa display, have you had any issues with your iphone connecting repeatedly to CarPlay well outside of your car? This has occurred pretty consistently for the past 7-10 days where upon exiting the car in my home, the display unit stays connected to my iphone and I have to manually disconnect but it will re-connect within 20-30 seconds. Frustrating. CS said they're working on a fix but for now to turn off CarPlay when leaving the car and turning it back on, not the most ideal but doable. However, even with CarPlay off, how I find the phone is routing all audio - whether phone calls, music or video to the head unit. I have to disconnect the bluetooth signal between the carplay display unit and my phone and even then, it'll re-connect doing the same again. I think I'll probably un-pair the display unit until there's a fix but super frustrating. Wondering if this has happened to anyone else and if so, if you've found a fix? Seems to have occurred after I updated Tesla software to 2022.20.6 but that likely seems to be a coincidence.

I've got the 9" Linux Hannshow unit and never had that problem. I did have that happen, if I recall correctly, when I'd leave a door or trunk open. That would keep the display on and active.
Thanks, yeah everything is closed and even when car is locked, it still does it. CS finally is recognizing there are other customers who are having this issue and it might be tied to the 2022.20.6 Tesla update. I have the Intel Atom version, which one do you have and have you updated Tesla software to 20.6 or 20.7? Thanks!

Mine is Intel Atom, Model Y built in 1/2021. I've been using the Tesla-Android Raspberry Pi system for a couple of weeks so I had switch the Hannshow to Android Auto mode to prevent my phone from connecting. So I don't think I've been using the Hannshow since I've gotten 2022.20.5.

Reactions: Suspendmix