Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CarPlay solution for Tesla by Michal Gapinski using Raspberry Pi with Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I initial hope that I would be lucky enough to get the USB modem that works right out of the box for Pi. Apparently that’s not the case. Dongle flashing blue light indefinitely when plugged into the pi. However, plugging it into my Windows laptop and Mac, the dongle flashed bluelight for 2-3 seconds then the light stayed on afterwards.

That is the similar problem that EletrciAnt54 and I are having, mgapinski is looking at the problem to see if he can find a solution.

You can already do that via Bluetooth tethering. Just be sure "Internet" is enabled on the Pi's Bluetooth settings.

You could just disable auto connect on autokit. Might be a way to use an automated or scripting Android app to disable a USB device. I'm currently using an automation app to disable the hotspot when my phone is not connected to the Pi's Bluetooth. This allows the car to use its cell modem when I'm not in the car.

12V and USB power in the car is shut off when the car goes to sleep. The car will never go to sleep if you have it plugged in charging, have sentry mode enabled, or its hot out and cabin overheat is running.
Bluetooth tethering only works 10 minutes for me, then Pi's Bluetooth module got turn off and could never turn on again, unless perform a restart. I saw Michal twitted that he might have fixed that issue too in the next release. Will have to wait for that and if iOS usb tethering works then I can probably ditch the Alcatel usb modem

Android tethering is done, iOS only left now. ;)
So I have a Samsung Galaxy A20 phone that I'm not using. I could get it activated on my AT&T account then connect it to my Pi and stop using the USB LTE stick?

This would be cheaper for me. I pay $25 for the hotspot line. My current iPhone has two lines on it and the second one I never use, so I would just move that to the Samsung.

Bluetooth tethering only works 10 minutes for me, then Pi's Bluetooth module got turn off and could never turn on again, unless perform a restart. I saw Michal twitted that he might have fixed that issue too in the next release. Will have to wait for that and if iOS usb tethering works then I can probably ditch the Alcatel usb modem
I can confirm that this is fixed now, however in my testing Bluetooth tethering feels like a dial-up modem in terms of performance, that's why I jumped into USB tethering

So I have a Samsung Galaxy A20 phone that I'm not using. I could get it activated on my AT&T account then connect it to my Pi and stop using the USB LTE stick?

This would be cheaper for me. I pay $25 for the hotspot line. My current iPhone has two lines on it and the second one I never use, so I would just move that to the Samsung.
Yes, that is working already for Android phones. Works plug and play, I also have the iPhone tethering driver baked in right now but I need some specific software to initiate it (the trust this computer iOS dialog is not showing up for me yet)

Great work, I'm using bluetooth tethering and yes it does lag a bit, do you know why when I'm using carplay after a while the screen will start flashing?

I had this problem on previous version that needed the video capture card. With the new version that does not need it I do not have this problem. Also if you use 60fps it could be that you need the overclocking. If you are using the latest version without capture card in the resolution recommended (mid-level) and at 30fpf or at 60 fps with overclocking and still having this problem then it is something that I have not experienced.

Reactions: M3P75
i tried bluetooth tethering yesterday. In my case, it is not usable. With wireless Carplay, bluetooth connection with Rpi drops after a short time, and it seems Carplay drops easily too. When it was all connected the first time, home screen flashes like a disco, but swiping to list of apps, it didn't quite flash. Maps app flashes, but not Plugshare. I guess it's down to how much an app consumes?
My Rpi is not clocked, no special cooling other than a heatsink on top of the processor and a small fan, all in a plastic case. Powered by 12v to usb charger, usb A to usb C cable, then usb C on off switch, then Rpi.
I think with wireless Carplay, maybe it's too many radio connections going on that it interferes too easily? And yes, the bluetooth tethering is slow, tesla navigation took a long time to get information, sometimes it gave up and stops.
I also tried dropping to 25fps, but home screen still flashes.

i tried bluetooth tethering yesterday. In my case, it is not usable. With wireless Carplay, bluetooth connection with Rpi drops after a short time, and it seems Carplay drops easily too. When it was all connected the first time, home screen flashes like a disco, but swiping to list of apps, it didn't quite flash. Maps app flashes, but not Plugshare. I guess it's down to how much an app consumes?
My Rpi is not clocked, no special cooling other than a heatsink on top of the processor and a small fan, all in a plastic case. Powered by 12v to usb charger, usb A to usb C cable, then usb C on off switch, then Rpi.
I think with wireless Carplay, maybe it's too many radio connections going on that it interferes too easily? And yes, the bluetooth tethering is slow, tesla navigation took a long time to get information, sometimes it gave up and stops.
I also tried dropping to 25fps, but home screen still flashes.
you may want to get this cooling unit, assemble it to the pi and overclock it to the below settings. That’s what I did. I have autokit set at 60fps, second scale option, and no flashing whatsoever. Mind you that I did that because I use Youtube within Carplay. I know TeslaAndroid can install Youtube from the store after spoofing but currently it cannot be signed in with Google account and I hate ads. Michal said that this is on his list so in the future you probably do not need to overclock the Pi

Thin Ice Cooling Tower

Overclock Configuration
over_voltage=6
arm_freq=2147
gpu_freq=700

Can anyone share the design layout that they have in place with using a Micro Router in their Tesla with the Tesla android project . Interested in seeing how people are getting around internet connection without using a LTE modem.

Can anyone share the design layout that they have in place with using a Micro Router in their Tesla with the Tesla android project . Interested in seeing how people are getting around internet connection without using a LTE modem.
Honestly, I have not needed my tesla to have cellular connectivity. Been using tesla-android for a month without providing tesla with connectivity. I just use my phone for music, podcasts & nav. I do use tesla usb music + apple CarPlay nav 😎. No one compresses Toto!!!!

I am using a micro router (TP-Link TL-WR902AC) but not to avoid the Alcatel USB Modem but as much to make it work. I am one of the folks that is having problems with the Alcatel USB Modem connecting directly to the RPI with Tesla Android so I am using this micro router that has an usb port for the Alcatel USB Modem which when connected works. I connect the ethernet port from the router to the ethernet port of the RPI. It works great but I would like to eliminate the micro-router if I can make the the Alcatel USB Modem to work directly with the RPI.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
I am using a micro router (TP-Link TL-WR902AC) but not to avoid the Alcatel USB Modem but as much to make it work. I am one of the folks that is having problems with the Alcatel USB Modem connecting directly to the RPI with Tesla Android so I am using this micro router that has an usb port for the Alcatel USB Modem which when connected works. I connect the ethernet port from the router to the ethernet port of the RPI. It works great but I would like to eliminate the micro-router if I can make the the Alcatel USB Modem to work directly with the RPI.
if you are using iPhone, Michal mentioned that he's working on USB tethering so you can ditch the USB Alcatel modem and the micro router altogether

if you are using iPhone, Michal mentioned that he's working on USB tethering so you can ditch the USB Alcatel modem and the micro router altogether

The only problem is that you have to connect with the wire. I would highly prefer not to have to connect the phone to the wire and be all wireless. I do not have a problem using the Alcatel USB Modem per se since it is actually fast and the Tello cost is reasonable compared to other options. But if there is no choice on using the Alcatel USB Modem with Tello then I will use the wire.

So, I just got it running! Thanks Michal!!!
after the failed install last night, I got up to see you all working hard to give feedback and Michal putting out 44.2, it was very encouraging.
i downloaded 44.2 single file, took my 2012 mbp a while to write to the 64gb sd card. Then, it took quite a while to boot up in the car for the first time. And like Michal mentioned on the installation notes, if cannot connect to the WiFi, give it some more time. My first try, was like last night, cannot connect……, then I clear browser history again and also rebooted car, second try right after, still no go. I waited, Michal said give it 5-10 minutes, then, I tried again and it connected. I offlined My phone ahead of time so it does not auto connect to car play, went into autokit settings to make sure things are set right. Afterwards, I turned phone bt and WiFi on and it connected. It’s now working and it is faster than 38.1, which was quite choppy in my case. i use Amazon music occasionally and it was too much for it on 38.1, now it seems quite smooth.

another note to fellas above, I have same lte stick and Tello sim, it is working in my case. Full blue light from very early on during the boot, also autokit was up and running quite early.
car updated this morning to 36.6, not sure if this made a difference but worth mentioning. Also my car is 21 Y with intel chip.
hope everyone got theirs running!
cheers,

also, powered by cigarette usb plug, usbA to usbc to rpi on off switch, to rpi4 4gb.

@Yipsan could you please let us know where exactly you bought your Alcatel USB modem. If it was at ebay - what specific vendor in ebay. From the Tesla Android support thread it seems that there could be different version of the Alcatel USB modem so to find the one that works with Tello it could be the specific version that you found. Thank you.

@Yipsan could you please let us know where exactly you bought your Alcatel USB modem. If it was at ebay - what specific vendor in ebay. From the Tesla Android support thread it seems that there could be different version of the Alcatel USB modem so to find the one that works with Tello it could be the specific version that you found. Thank you.
I was going to post the same question but was planning to make a google form where people could input the info about their Alcatel experience and all form info would automatically be stored in spreadsheet we can all see. Lol. Sometimes I go overboard. I might make that system if it seems of value.

My alcatel unit has been working fine with T-Mobile, but I only have the cheap 500MB plan on it, which gets chewed up quick. I noticed that Best Buy is selling a 3 month trial of Boost Mobile - 5GB each month for new customers on sale for $15 (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/boost-mobile-3-months-5gb-plan-sim-card-kit/6484740.p?skuId=6484740). I just picked one up today and activated it while sitting in my car in the parking lot. Works great! If the price remains $15, I'll just activate a new line every 3 months, but I assume that deal will end at some point.

• Helpful
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
My alcatel unit has been working fine with T-Mobile, but I only have the cheap 500MB plan on it, which gets chewed up quick. I noticed that Best Buy is selling a 3 month trial of Boost Mobile - 5GB each month for new customers on sale for $15 (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/boost-mobile-3-months-5gb-plan-sim-card-kit/6484740.p?skuId=6484740). I just picked one up today and activated it while sitting in my car in the parking lot. Works great! If the price remains $15, I'll just activate a new line every 3 months, but I assume that deal will end at some point.
Do you recall where you bought your Alcatel?Link to eBay seller or store might be helpful. We are trying to figure out why some people in USA have no issues and some do. For example, I use T-Mobile USA (my iPhone’s sim) and the Alcatel doesn’t work in my pi but works in my windows 10 (no need to enter an APN).