Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CarPlay solution for Tesla by Michal Gapinski using Raspberry Pi with Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw you mentioned you previously had pi under center armrest but you thought unit was getting hot. I am not sure which car you have. But I do not have this issue. I no longer overclock pi too As of tesla-android 2022.45.1 . The model y under armrest storage is not air tight so perhaps that is why I do not have heat issue. It does get warm in there but not horrid. I do tend to keep my travel router in the cup holder in front of the arm rest storage area since that gizmo does tend to give off a bt of heat.I never tried keeping it in same area as pi, perhaps I will. I drove 4 hours the other day up the coast of California, no heat issues.
I have the 2021 MY and I also have the center console storage organizer tray so it may significantly reduce airflow which results in warm air building up. It's not particularly hot but it's warm enough that it might affect the performance of the Pi. Noted that I overclocked it and have the ICE mini fan on it as well but if I stash the Pi in the center console storage underneath the organizer tray, it still gets warmer than I wanted. However, the 2021 pre-refresh center console does not have enough USB port to power both devices (the USB-C port surprisingly only powers the wireless charging mat and nothing else). So if I am to keep using the LTE router to wire up the Pi for internet connectivity, I would need to put both under the arm rest storage. However, it still get significantly warm inside as it does not get enough cool airflow.

I am planning to try using and Android for internet tethering and placing both under the center console and see if this will create any heat issue (significantly warmer than expected, not overheat).

If someone can upload a video of swiping through the carplay apps then going to waze and moving the map it would be of great help. I want to compare the performance with mine and see if there is a big difference with what you guys are getting. Last such video in youtube is with old version of tesla android.

Hi All, Brand new here. I am extremely interested in this CarPlay solution for my wife's brand new 2023 Tesla Model Y. I have read through this entire thread but some of the early posts of the step by steps are outdated as there have been at least 5 upgrades since @mikegapinski started this project. I just registered on the site so I can interact with some of you and hopefully get some help.

It appears many of the veterans of this solution (timeshifter, ElectricAnt54) started out with the two Pi boards, the Geekworm, the many cables, etc. From my understanding that has all be way trimmed down now. So is it possible that someone can post exactly everything needed for someone starting this completely from scratch for what is required for TODAY's most recent iteration of the project (2022.45.1)?

I am well aware that the developer lists Hardware Req on his site. But I feel there are things omitted because I keep seeing more stuff in your guy's posts than what is listed here. (The obvious example is cables - I think the developer is assuming we already have certain things).

If someone could be so kind as to list Exactly what I should get with an Amazon link to each product I would be extremely grateful. Once I have everything in my possession, I am sure I will be back to get advice on the actual install, as I am not really understanding the "Setup Steps" on the developer's site either.

Thanks in advance to all.

Hi All, Brand new here. I am extremely interested in this CarPlay solution for my wife's brand new 2023 Tesla Model Y. I have read through this entire thread but some of the early posts of the step by steps are outdated as there have been at least 5 upgrades since @mikegapinski started this project. I just registered on the site so I can interact with some of you and hopefully get some help.

It appears many of the veterans of this solution (timeshifter, ElectricAnt54) started out with the two Pi boards, the Geekworm, the many cables, etc. From my understanding that has all be way trimmed down now. So is it possible that someone can post exactly everything needed for someone starting this completely from scratch for what is required for TODAY's most recent iteration of the project (2022.45.1)?

I am well aware that the developer lists Hardware Req on his site. But I feel there are things omitted because I keep seeing more stuff in your guy's posts than what is listed here. (The obvious example is cables - I think the developer is assuming we already have certain things).

If someone could be so kind as to list Exactly what I should get with an Amazon link to each product I would be extremely grateful. Once I have everything in my possession, I am sure I will be back to get advice on the actual install, as I am not really understanding the "Setup Steps" on the developer's site either.

I can do that for my setup over the next few days. here are some initial buying recommendations. I feel strongly about these & will attempt to propose an update to the documentation since it is a file in GitHub, one way software developers communicate changes to each other.

I’d get carlinkit CPC200-CCPA. This is the newer model and people with older model had connectivity issues. Works great with CarPlay wired/wireless.

Since you are in USA, if you do not enjoy technical networking topics, I would hold off on getting the Alcatel LTE modem for now as it doesn’t work plug and play always Due to two different hardware versions made for same model number but no way to tell which version you receive when buying. One works plug and play and other doesn’t work unless you add a micro travel router etc. there are efforts to support both hardware revisions but it is going slow. on Twitter the developer has mentioned another cheap lte modem which works globally (or at least better in USA) will be added to the supported hardware list eventually. I use the Alcatel with a travel router currently 😢.

I just ordered the Raspberry PI400 pc in a keyboard solution to run TeslaAndroid on. According to a discussion on the website it is the best Pi4 hardware to fit in our Teslas without the need for a fan and can fit in the caveat under a front seat

Last edited:
I just ordered the Raspberry PI400 pc in a keyboard solution to run TeslaAndroid on. According ti a discussion on the website it is the best Pi4 hardware to fit in our Teslas without the need for a fan and can fit in the caveat under a front seat
Let us know how it performs. That hardware is not on the recommended list so will be interesting. I don’t think it will work well. Hope I am wrong. I predict heat issues as that system is in tightly sealed case & the hardware will be too far from tesla wifi antenna resulting in a laggy experience. Plus heat will make cpu slow down causing more lag.

Last edited:
Let us know how it performs. That hardware is not on the recommended list so will be interesting. I don’t think it will work well. Hope I am wrong. I predict heat issues as that system is in tightly sealed case & the hardware will be too far from tesla wifi antenna resulting in a laggy experience. Plus heat will make cpu slow down causing more lag.
The rpi 4 is impossible to order here in Europe as it is always sold out. Is it better available in the US or elsewhere?

The rpi 4 is impossible to order here in Europe as it is always sold out. Is it better available in the US or elsewhere?
Same situation in USA, impossible / very hard to order rpi 4 version B from stores. I tried for 2 months. Stores never had inventory. I used trackers & signed up for inventory notification.

I got two via e-bay. I think one was slightly used and other was new. A 4GB at asking price $170 USD. I got an 8gb version via auction for $160 USD. I thought I’d loose and did not want it since I had the 4GB but I ended up winning. 🤷‍♂️ I use the extra pi as a test setup for android-tesla. Might use it for retro gaming or some other geeky project later.

I just ordered the Raspberry PI400 pc in a keyboard solution to run TeslaAndroid on. According to a discussion on the website it is the best Pi4 hardware to fit in our Teslas without the need for a fan and can fit in the caveat under a front seat
I place my rpi under driver seat. Seems good enough for both WiFi and heat concern. Maybe open the pi400 so there is less constraint for air movement around the board?

The latest version is really much simpler to put together and install. Equipment needed:
rpi4
power to rpi4, it can be usbc -usbc cable, or 12v charger with appropriate usb -usbc cable
sd card, 64gb or larger preferred
carlinkit dongle, the ccpc version
lte modem (if internet connectivity is desired)

computer with raspberryip imager, Mac is more straightforward, but pc will do too
usb sdcard adapter

follow Tesla Android install instructions

give it a try once you have the parts gathered, if you hit any snag, many here or on GitHub will be happy to help.

Here's all the parts I'm currently using:

Raspberry Pi

CPU Cooler

MicroSD card (only need one, although having an extra is nice, can do an update on new card and revert to prior if needed)

Carlinkit
Model CPC200-CCPA (I just ordered this, so can't fully confirm it's exact one but I suspect is correct)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09ZQCSQ6R

Model CPC200-Autokit (this is the one I've been using, I had it already when I did this project, I think it doesn't work well, hoping the one above is better)

USB LTE Modem

USB-C Cable

12V (cigarette lighter) power adapter

12V (cigarette lighter) extension cable with on/off switch

@MikeMass

Fan, heat sinks & Case combo (good deal):
GeeekPi Raspberry Pi 4 Case with ICE Tower Cooler CPU Cooling Fan & Heatsink https://a.co/d/bbpvuSF

12V cigarette lighter 2 usb-c & 1 usb-a ports:
160W USB C Car Charger, Baseus Type C Car Charger, https://a.co/d/h8TH18p

128GB microSD card read rate 100 megabytes per second for faster boot up times:
SAMSUNG PRO Endurance 128GB MicroSDXC Memory Class 10, U3, V30 (‎MB-MJ128KA/AM) https://a.co/d/25Z2ecJ

Alcatel LTE modem:
if you are in North America & want to try your luck, order from the place timeshifter posted since their modem is the variant which worked out of box.

raspberry pi power cable:
i use a usb-a male to usb-c male cable connected to a vilros cable (link below)with mechanical on/off switch so I can power pi down after issuing software shut down. The usb-a plugs in to cigarette lighter adapter.

carlinkit Model CPC200-CCPA carplay/android auto dongle:
They had used ones so I bought used for a discount. But sometimes they only have new inventory.

I guess one thing I am confused about is the "Optional" modem. As per these comments listed below I don't understand why it's optional.

<snip> I would hold off on getting the Alcatel LTE modem for now <snip>
<snip> lte modem (if internet connectivity is desired) <snip>

Isn't internet connectivity required to make this work? And if not, then what would be the advantage of having the LTE modem? Futhermore, am I to understand that if I get this Alcatel LTE modem, then I need to pay an additional monthly fee for internet service? I keep seeing you guys talk about t-mobile plans, $10 per month, etc. Or is this a separate topic unrelated to the modem?

I guess one thing I am confused about is the "Optional" modem. As per these comments listed below I don't understand why it's optional.

Isn't internet connectivity required to make this work? And if not, then what would be the advantage of having the LTE modem? Futhermore, am I to understand that if I get this Alcatel LTE modem, then I need to pay an additional monthly fee for internet service? I keep seeing you guys talk about t-mobile plans, $10 per month, etc. Or is this a separate topic unrelated to the modem?
@MikeMass lte modem in pi (Alcatel requires a micro cellular SIM card hence the talk about cheap cellular plans) only needed if you want the tesla vehicle to have internet access. When tesla vehicle uses a wifi hotspot, it disables its own cellular modem connection and gets all internet connection from the wifi device. without lte modem attached to pi, the machine has no connection to outside world To pass along to tesla vehicle.

example of not needing lte modem:
I drove for months with no lte modem in my pie. I was using Apple CarPlay for everything via the included autokit app. This worked great because CarPlay uses your phone for all internet data. The same is true if you plan to use android auto.

when is it helpful to have lte modem in the pi?
if you want to use Tesla’s voice commands while using tesla-android. “turn on hvac” “open glovebox” “ set temperature to 69”. Tesla vehicle wants internet connection for this feature. for all voice commands, you can perform the task manually though.

if you are taking long road trip and want to use tesla navigation due to being notified about supercharger availability or route Changes due to weather / battery While also using tesla-android for CarPlay / android auto / anderoid os apps that you install . This is why I was interested in getting lte modem since I had some road trips planned during winter and I wanted to have CarPlay for music, podcasts and tesla nav for navigation.

if you use tesla-android and want to use android os apps rather than CarPlay or Android Auto equivalent. then the pi will need a connection to the internet via lte modem. For example installing android os version of Waze.

what if the pi computer freezes while it is supposedly providing data to tesla vehicle & I am using tesla nav On long distance road trip?
tesla nav will print errors if it looses certain parts of functionality. You can easily turn off tesla vehicle’s hotspot feature which tells tesla vehicle to turn on cars cellular modem and tesla nav will connect again. For safe measure, can cancel and input route again.

Last edited:

Internet connectivity is not the same as a local network. The rpi puts out a local network, which your car connects to, in order for your phone to connect through and put out CarPlay or android auto to the tesla browser. If this local network do not have connectivity to internet at large, your car will not talk to Elons mothership. So, some functions will not work, eg, voice control functions. Or your partner at home with tesla app will not be able to see where you are…..
With the LTE modem, the car will have internet and if you prefer tesla nav, its function will be preserved.
yes, if you want internet connectivity, you need a SIM card, which for these modem, in the USA, you can only use att or tmo.
There are other methods for internet connectivity, some use mobile router, some use another android phone. Dev is working on making iOS internet sharing too, but let’s give him some time.
I would suggest just try without internet first. If you like CarPlay already, this is the best way to do it. Timeshifter and others have used all the other options out there and preferred this. That’s a good reference.

Internet connectivity is not the same as a local network. The rpi puts out a local network, which your car connects to, in order for your phone to connect through and put out CarPlay or android auto to the tesla browser. If this local network do not have connectivity to internet at large, your car will not talk to Elons mothership. So, some functions will not work, eg, voice control functions. Or your partner at home with tesla app will not be able to see where you are…..
With the LTE modem, the car will have internet and if you prefer tesla nav, its function will be preserved.
yes, if you want internet connectivity, you need a SIM card, which for these modem, in the USA, you can only use att or tmo.
There are other methods for internet connectivity, some use mobile router, some use another android phone. Dev is working on making iOS internet sharing too, but let’s give him some time.
I would suggest just try without internet first. If you like CarPlay already, this is the best way to do it. Timeshifter and others have used all the other options out there and preferred this. That’s a good reference.
Can the pi not just use hotspot internet from the iphone and then the Tesla will get internet through the pi?

Can the pi not just use hotspot internet from the iphone and then the Tesla will get internet through the pi?
Not presently. The developer has said he'll be adding that capability soon. It can get it through a tethered Android phone, but that doesn't make a lot of sense as most of us are looking for CarPlay which means we're using an iPhone. I do have a spare Android phone that's not in use that I could activate. But the USB LTE modem just works for me.

• Helpful
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
One more thing related to having a continuous Internet connection that is important for me is TeslaFi

TeslaFi Signup -use this link for an extended free trial :D

It keeps amazing logs of all your trips and all kinds of details. Since I use my car for work in comes in handy in many ways, especially when I'm billing and need to confirm I was somewhere and how long.

Anyway, I don't know how well it might work in offline mode. Maybe the car caches all that info and uploads it when it gains connectivity. But it's too important to me to chance it.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54