Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CarPlay solution for Tesla by Michal Gapinski using Raspberry Pi with Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having to turn the system off when you exit the car isn’t necessarily a bad thing. I’ve been using mine for about two months. I normally leave it on during the day as I come and go. The problem is, whenever I get near the car whenever audio I had playing will start playing on my phone before I get in the car.
Yikes... I guess there's no perfect solution. How long will it boot up?

Also, I just got a quote from TMOBILE. $5 a month for 500MB. Is that enough or should I pay more?

Two minutes maybe.

I had the 9" touchscreen from Hansshow prior to this. It was nice in that it turned on and off with the car. In fact I kept the wiring harness connected when I removed the unit with the fanciful dream that the Pi may one day be able to get commands from one of the leads to turn on and off with the car.

I just got a quote from TMOBILE. $5 a month for 500MB. Is that enough or should I pay more?
Don't know. I'll check my AT&T bill when I get a chance. How much are the higher data plans? What happens if you exceed 500MB on that plan?

Also, I just got a quote from TMOBILE. $5 a month for 500MB. Is that enough or should I pay more?
If it’s running and a software update comes in, it will blow the 500mb, so how much data it uses really depends on that. If no software update, then it doesn’t use much. Also depends on if you use Tesla YouTube or other streaming services.

Two minutes maybe.

I had the 9" touchscreen from Hansshow prior to this. It was nice in that it turned on and off with the car. In fact I kept the wiring harness connected when I removed the unit with the fanciful dream that the Pi may one day be able to get commands from one of the leads to turn on and off with the car.

Don't know. I'll check my AT&T bill when I get a chance. How much are the higher data plans? What happens if you exceed 500MB on that plan?

2 minutes is way too long. Now I'm wondering if this is truly a better solution than the Hansshow. I was waffling between the two ways.

I'll have to go and get more info on the TMOBILE rate but this is a cost that I wasn't counting on. Not that I can't afford it, its just that the Hansshow solution better now with everything considered.

Have you tried connecting a phone or laptop to the Pi's WiFi?
I have. None of them can connect.

I will say that running the commands to install Android all completed successfully, although the reboot commands didn't seem to reboot the system. Instructions say it would take a while after the final reboot but I think it took less than 5 min total to copy / paste and run each command.

2 minutes is way too long. Now I'm wondering if this is truly a better solution than the Hansshow. I was waffling between the two ways.

I'll have to go and get more info on the TMOBILE rate but this is a cost that I wasn't counting on. Not that I can't afford it, its just that the Hansshow solution better now with everything considered.
I had the Hansshow. I like this solution much better.

i've read the Android Tesla website but still confused about LTE dongle
it says its optional, what exactly its needed for?
also i thought for Android Auto/Car play, ur phone is providing everything over the wire, is that not correct?

i've read the Android Tesla website but still confused about LTE dongle
it says its optional, what exactly its needed for?
also i thought for Android Auto/Car play, ur phone is providing everything over the wire, is that not correct?
If you want your Tesla to remain connected to the internet, then you need the lte dongle with functioning sim. If you don’t care for that, then no need to have the lte dongle.

I have. None of them can connect.

I will say that running the commands to install Android all completed successfully, although the reboot commands didn't seem to reboot the system. Instructions say it would take a while after the final reboot but I think it took less than 5 min total to copy / paste and run each command.
Did you see this?

I converted my setup to the single Pi build. Only tested it briefly before I went to bed. Seems to be OK. Did notice some flickering or pulsing of the screen. I had had a little static here and there with the 2 Pi build. May have been related to the physical HDMI interface then and maybe now.

Did the software setup on a Mac using Terminal. During one of the reboots in step 8 of the install guide it didn't reboot cleanly or return to the next prompt. I had to Quit from Terminal and open it again. Also noticed a few messages on some of the commands similar to this "Invalid sparse file format at header magic", but the rest of the command would complete.

I was still using the Platform Tools r33.0.3 that I had in July. Current download is r33.0.3, which I didn't try. But that may have been why I had glitches.

Regarding the Hdmi to CSI-2, it seems there are two models of this board which work in Raspberry Pie 4. One supports video & audio and the other only supports video. I suspect we need to use the model which supports video & audio. Timeshifter seems to be using the model which supports video & audio too. Geekworm Raspberry Pi Hdmi to CSI-2 Module X630 is the version which supports video & audio. The other model C779 only supports video. Siri voice (navigations, responding to requests) is transmitted via the Tesla web browser stream which implies the need for using the module which supports encoding the pie's video & audio.

Two minutes maybe.

If you exceed your data limit T-Mobile throttles your cellular data speed down eventually. No extra monetary charges. That being said the pie should not be using much cellular data assuming you are using CarPlay / android auto for audio and navigation in theory.

Two minutes maybe.

Now this is an interesting one I hope Mike sees! Would be great to stick a volt meter on this and see what pins have juice and what voltage this is??

Reactions: timeshifter
Regarding t he Hdmi to CSI-2, it seems there are two models of this board which work in Raspberry Pie 4. One supports video & audio and the other only supports video. I suspect we need to use the model which supports video & audio. Timeshifter seems to be using the model which supports video & audio too. Geekworm Raspberry Pi Hdmi to CSI-2 Module X630 is the version which supports video & audio. The other model C779 only supports video. Siri voice (navigations, responding to requests) is transmitted via the Tesla web browser stream which implies the need for using the module which supports encoding the pie's video & audio.
^quoting your post, looks like it was formatted white :D

Having to turn the system off when you exit the car isn’t necessarily a bad thing. I’ve been using mine for about two months. I normally leave it on during the day as I come and go. The problem is, whenever I get near the car whatever audio I had playing will start playing on my phone’s speaker before I get in the car.

Not a problem if I’m headed to the car to get in and drive. But at home and while I’m out and about I frequently will walk near the car. It’s getting pretty annoying.
You can turn off Auto Play Music from the AutoKit settings

Attachments

• IMG_0039 Large.jpeg
    IMG_0039 Large.jpeg
    170.2 KB · Views: 93
Reactions: timeshifter