Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CarPlay solution for Tesla by Michal Gapinski using Raspberry Pi with Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i just got this thing installed but don't have the carplay dongle.. i was just trying to get PLEX and/or maybe youtube apps installed.. is the only way to get internet on this thing wired or USB cell dongle? why can't there be a virtual wifi so i can hotspot my phone to give it internet (or just use my phones hotspot).. or can i share my phones internet over bluetooth or something? any guidance appreciated out there, thanks!

i just got this thing installed but don't have the carplay dongle.. i was just trying to get PLEX and/or maybe youtube apps installed.. is the only way to get internet on this thing wired or USB cell dongle? why can't there be a virtual wifi so i can hotspot my phone to give it internet (or just use my phones hotspot).. or can i share my phones internet over bluetooth or something? any guidance appreciated out there, thanks!

Hi @gt2690b
Yes it is meant to get internet via usb cell dongle which works for a few people in USA but many in USA are having issues. So far seems fine in Europe. Dev & others are investigating. As a work around. some people in USA connect a mini travel router to the pi ethernet and that mini router has a USB port that they plug the usb modem in to. Search older postings for that info...should be within the last 20 messages.

You can plug in ethernet cable. I did it tonight coincidence. No tweaks needed. Plug and play.

You can connect pi up to a monitor and keyboard and mouse and then enable wifi and connect to your home wifi (be sure to disable after). In older release the option to turn on wifi was hidden. I had to type in "internet" in to the search bar in the settings app.

In an upcoming release there might be internet from your phone via bluetooth. I think I saw that mentioned today on Twitter. I suspect that could be a bit slow.

Hi @gt2690b
Yes it is meant to get internet via usb cell dongle which works for a few people in USA but many in USA are having issues. So far seems fine in Europe. Dev & others are investigating. As a work around. some people in USA connect a mini travel router to the pi ethernet and that mini router has a USB port that they plug the usb modem in to. Search older postings for that info...should be within the last 20 messages.

You can plug in ethernet cable. I did it tonight coincidence. No tweaks needed. Plug and play.

You can connect pi up to a monitor and keyboard and mouse and then enable wifi and connect to your home wifi (be sure to disable after). In older release the option to turn on wifi was hidden. I had to type in "internet" in to the search bar in the settings app.

In an upcoming release there might be internet from your phone via bluetooth. I think I saw that mentioned today on Twitter. I suspect that could be a bit slow.
Why not just use a phones hotspot to assign addresses to pi and car at same time? Maybe I can do that with keyboard and monitor to set it up

Another wild guess. If anyone has an Android 12/13 device at hand. Plug it in with a USB-C -> A dongle and see if you can change APN settings for the dongle in the Android settings app. I might have disabled that in Tesla Android since there was no use for it. Remember to take the SIM card out of the phone first.

How is everyone powering the Pi? I have a 22 model X and connected directly to usb-c port in console. the unit stays powered on and frequently my phone picks up the signal in the house and goes into car play mode :(

I'm cheap and did not buy the LTE modem... so I want the Model X to not stay connected when the car is off so I can still use the mobile app to communicate with it.. so whats the best place to plug it in? does the 12v cigarette adapter switch off with the car? I've searched and searched for concrete info on ports but have come up empty. Thanks in advance :)

Does this mean we can ditch the modem and use our phone’s network connection?!

You can already do that via Bluetooth tethering. Just be sure "Internet" is enabled on the Pi's Bluetooth settings.

How is everyone powering the Pi? I have a 22 model X and connected directly to usb-c port in console. the unit stays powered on and frequently my phone picks up the signal in the house and goes into car play mode

I'm cheap and did not buy the LTE modem... so I want the Model X to not stay connected when the car is off so I can still use the mobile app to communicate with it.. so whats the best place to plug it in? does the 12v cigarette adapter switch off with the car? I've searched and searched for concrete info on ports but have come up empty. Thanks in advance

You could just disable auto connect on autokit. Might be a way to use an automated or scripting Android app to disable a USB device. I'm currently using an automation app to disable the hotspot when my phone is not connected to the Pi's Bluetooth. This allows the car to use its cell modem when I'm not in the car.

12V and USB power in the car is shut off when the car goes to sleep. The car will never go to sleep if you have it plugged in charging, have sentry mode enabled, or its hot out and cabin overheat is running.

• Informative
Reactions: gt2690b
How is everyone powering the Pi? I have a 22 model X and connected directly to usb-c port in console. the unit stays powered on and frequently my phone picks up the signal in the house and goes into car play mode :(

I'm cheap and did not buy the LTE modem... so I want the Model X to not stay connected when the car is off so I can still use the mobile app to communicate with it.. so whats the best place to plug it in? does the 12v cigarette adapter switch off with the car? I've searched and searched for concrete info on ports but have come up empty. Thanks in advance :)

I have a model S and the 12v cigarette adapter goes off as soon as I leave the car which is optimal for my needs.

I pulled the trigger and got the Alcatel. Will have to wait until next Monday to receive and test it. I cannot utilize Internet over Bluetooth as after 10 minutes of usage, Pi's bluetooth just turned off, got into null state and could not be turned on again unless a reboot. If this doesn't work out then I'll have to get one of the micro LTE router/modem with 1 NIC so it can share internet to both the Pi and the phone (I have a jailbroken iPhone to use mainly for Youtube for my passengers). This way, I don't have to pay for 2 lines
I initial hope that I would be lucky enough to get the USB modem that works right out of the box for Pi. Apparently that’s not the case. Dongle flashing blue light indefinitely when plugged into the pi. However, plugging it into my Windows laptop and Mac, the dongle flashed bluelight for 2-3 seconds then the light stayed on afterwards.