Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CarPlay solution for Tesla by Michal Gapinski using Raspberry Pi with Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Awesome. I was wondering if installing new OTA updates had any effect on the Tesla-Android CarPlay solution.
OTA updates can afffect tesla-android. If tesla tweaks the web browser to disallow certain web protocols or just introduces a new version of browser rendering engine which has a bug that causes performance issues.…and there is certainly the chance tesla decides to block off the methodology used by this project & the emerging commercial products. So enjoy it while it lasts, just like life 😁

Just installed tesla firmware 2022.40.4.1 in 2022 MYP & drove around for an hour while tesla-android 2022.44.2 was active.

No issues.👍
Same, I recently upgraded the Tesla firmware on the MY to 2022.40.4.1 and running with Tesla Android 2022.44.2 with latest autokit. Everything is extremely smooth for some reason. Although Youtube on Carplay still plays choppy but it’s much better than when it was running on Tesla firmware 2022.36.6.

Also not sure if it relates but it seems like if I turn off Autosteer, Navigate on AutoPilot, and Summon features, I get the updates quickier. Previously when I got the car early October, it was on 2022.24.13 for more than a month with all the above features turned on. It could be a coincidence, who knows.

Now I’m patiently waiting for Tesla Android next release to test the iOS hotspot USB tethering. I could not get my spare Android to tether via USB for some reason although Michal mentioned it is a already working feature.

Reactions: TheFinga
Today tesla vehicle kept disconnecting from tesla-android wifi. It would connect and few seconds later disconnect. Then connect again. Below is how I solved the problem.

1. ensure the wifi entry in tesla for tesla-android is set to persist when in drive mode, it is a checkbox.
  2. this worked for me today. if above doesn’t help, turn off pi. disconnect carlinkit and other accessories from pi. Reboot tesla infotainment / mcu computer via the steering wheel two button method ( refer to tesla manual). After reboot is done and tesla cellular connection is established, turn on pi again and try to view pi via tesla browser. Upon success plug in carlinkit & other accessories.

also posted in tesla-android github issue tracker repository discussion area Tip tesla keeps disconnecting from android-tesla wifi · Discussion #155 · tesla-android/issue-tracker

It looks available on Amazon. It seems you need a SIM card? Have to have something like an active AT&T SIM card to make this Carlinkit TC2 adapter work? Then you don't need the Raspberry Pi with this adapter.

@pault72 your link leads to a commercial product which is not the same as the topic of this thread. This thread is about the open source Tesla-android project (Home - Tesla Android Project) which also puts CarPlay & Android Auto in the Tesla's infotainment screen. I'd start a different thread about the device you link to if you want answers or post on Amazon's question and answer system.

It looks available on Amazon. It seems you need a SIM card? Have to have something like an active AT&T SIM card to make this Carlinkit TC2 adapter work? Then you don't need the Raspberry Pi with this adapter.

Or if you don't want to start a new thread there's another thread that's been going on for a while that covers lots of different approaches to getting CarPlay in your Tesla.

Anyone get “error extracting archive file size couldn’t be restored” when trying to flash build?
@Greybeard707 Sounds like you are on windows. Using a different flashing tool helped these people.

Installed 45.1 without problem. It ran well for my short test. I even tried using Bluetooth internet tethering and it’s faster than previous version, but still had one or 2 disconnects for CarPlay and the screen flashes a little bit. We’ll need a longer drive to know more.

Installing 2022.45.1 and wanted to go ahead and overclock. Was losing my mind because I didn't see the instructions in the install guide. But if you click the guide for 2022.44.2 they're in there.

Don't know if it's still needed or if he left that bit out for a reason. I'm going to not overclock yet.

Here's the instructions for reference

Tesla Android is capable of video streaming, if you want to get smooth playback in a normal resolution I recommended to overclock the Android Pi slightly.

On the boot partition for Android SD card there is a file named config.txt. Add this on the end of it:

over_voltage=2
arm_freq=1750
gpu_freq=600
Feel free to adjust the preset, this might not be enough if you plan to do some retro console emulation :)

NOTE: Keep in mind that overclocking calls for extra cooling for your Pi. If it starts overheating the performance will be degrated.

Installing the new build tonight.

For reference I tested boot time for 2022.44.1 and kept scanning every 15 seconds to see when WiFi (for AutoKit-XXXX and Tesla-Android-XXXX) came up.

30 seconds - AutoKit-XXXX visible
1 min 45 seconds - Tesla-Android-XXXX visible

1 min 30 seconds - Tesla-Android-XXXX visible

A crude test, but may show that the hotspot comes online 15 seconds sooner with the latest release.

Installing 2022.45.1 and wanted to go ahead and overclock. Was losing my mind because I didn't see the instructions in the install guide. But if you click the guide for 2022.44.2 they're in there.

Don't know if it's still needed or if he left that bit out for a reason. I'm going to not overclock yet.
Overclocking is not recommended anymore. I asked Michal, the developer, via an GitHub issue ticket.

Reactions: timeshifter
Installing the new build tonight.

For reference I tested boot time for 2022.44.1 and kept scanning every 15 seconds to see when WiFi (for AutoKit-XXXX and Tesla-Android-XXXX) came up.

1 min 45 seconds - Tesla-Android-XXXX visible

1 min 30 seconds - Tesla-Android-XXXX visible

A crude test, but may show that the hotspot comes online 15 seconds sooner with the latest release.
I'll time mine tomorrow. Feels like it takes 50 seconds for me to see Tesla-Android-XXXX wifi network.I have a SAMSUNG PRO Endurance 128GB MicroSDXC . The speed ratings are Class 10, U3, V30. Data read speeds up to 100 megabytes per second. Some of the slower sd cards read at 30 megabytes per second.

Reactions: timeshifter