Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CarPlay solution for Tesla by Michal Gapinski using Raspberry Pi with Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was finally able to order a Raspberry Pi 4, so should be getting that in a week-ish hopefully. So in the meantime, looking to order all the accessories I'll need to get this going. I just wanted to verify, with no overclocking really needed now, is having the ice tower an overkill at this point, or is it still recommended? Or would something like the below kit be a better solution for a more low profile build?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D3S4KBK

2023.4.2 is up now

Someone just posted on Reddit that 2023.4.2 is slower than 2023.1.1. :(

I have not tried 2023.4.2 yet.

I was finally able to order a Raspberry Pi 4, so should be getting that in a week-ish hopefully. So in the meantime, looking to order all the accessories I'll need to get this going. I just wanted to verify, with no overclocking really needed now, is having the ice tower an overkill at this point, or is it still recommended? Or would something like the below kit be a better solution for a more low profile build?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D3S4KBK
I have the exact case and it was mentioned some time ago this would be fine since there’s no overclocking.

• Love
Reactions: SkunkApe
I also tested connecting my iPhone to the Pi USB port to test tethering. It worked well however the load time is about the same, 2:20. I would think the WiFi connection on my iPhone would be more stable though. Of course the downside is having to plug it in. Connecting in this manner gives me access to all Tesla functions for instance, if I use the Tesla Nav while connected this way traffic routing is available. If I connect via the dongle WiFi I get an error, something like no traffic routing available. I would think anything requiring Tesla’s WiFi would work in this configuration. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

It seems that there are so many platform changes occurring on the Tesla Android software that it is starting to loose its way. What interested me on Tesla Android was an easy and fast way to get CarPlay in a Tesla. With this latest version there was so many software changes that it is probably becoming bloated as Microsoft did with its software. Even with this last version long development cycle, now it has more bugs and it is slower than the previous version. I would much prefer a basic, lite, and fast version that can get CarPlay to work with the Tesla within seconds - not minutes. Create another product (Tesla Android Plus) to offer other functionality to see if there is a market for that.

Last edited:
Looking to get CarPlay on your Tesla. This solution is the best I've found so far. The developer just released a simplified version that only requires one Raspberry Pi computer. It's not a finished plug and play product. You need to get your hands dirty a little bit. But, it works great. And I would know as I've tried three or four other approaches in the last year and a half.

A lot of those have been thoroughly covered in this thread, but it's got over 300 posts over 18 months and discusses lots of solutions.

I thought it might be best to have a thread dedicated to this solution. So here it is.

For the most up to date information you can check the developer's Twitter pages at:

Presently I'm running the two Raspberry Pi solution and am quite pleased. I'll be trying the single board version soon.
Hi.
I'm useless in IT. Is it possible to buy the necessary de ready device and plug it with the user manual to set it up or do you know an installer in London to do it.
Thanks for your help 🙏

Anyone experiencing low volume in the latest version 2023.4.1.1. I have to turn it all the way to max to hear songs. I'm using Android Auto.
@Fat Bao , Android OS Volume issue was fixed in the newer build 2023.4.2 . I'm assuming you are running the Android Auto App and not using a carlinkit dongle. "Support for volume control in Android (available in the Android Settings app)"

Last edited:
It seems that there are so many platform changes occurring on the Tesla Android software that it is starting to loose its way. What interested me on Tesla Android was an easy and fast way to get CarPlay in a Tesla. With this latest version there was so many software changes that it is probably becoming bloated as Microsoft did with its software. Even with this last version long development cycle, now it has more bugs and it is slower than the previous version. I would much prefer a basic, lite, and fast version that can get CarPlay to work with the Tesla within seconds - not minutes. Create another product (Tesla Android Plus) to offer other functionality to see if there is a market for that.

What are you talking about bloated and losing its way? You want lite, that's exactly what the 2023 builds are working towards.
The roadmap has been pretty clear.

Hardware acceleration must be debugged and enabled, in order to reduce heat, power consumption, system resources, and overall speed and stability. The older builds with software rendering were absolutely maxing out the Pi's CPU.

You're being completely unreasonable for a free product, and lack any understanding of how software development works. This is beta software, not a released and sold product. There are always unexpected issues that occur during progress.

Optimizing for boot time is something to be done after fundamental software is done with. Mike is only one guy. Can't work on every demanding request at the same time.

If you don't like the boot times, hook your Pi up to the 12V system battery.

• Disagree
Reactions: Daekwan and EMEV
It seems that there are so many platform changes occurring on the Tesla Android software that it is starting to loose its way. What interested me on Tesla Android was an easy and fast way to get CarPlay in a Tesla.
Couldn't agree more. I had a bad feeling about that early in the project when the developer called it Tesla Android. It's really Tesla CarPlay IMHO. Again, IMHO that's why it's got such a following as there's a ton of Tesla owners who want CarPlay. Sure, the other things you can do may be cool, but the core reason for existence is to bring a CarPlay to the Tesla, again IMHO.

Couldn't agree more. I had a bad feeling about that early in the project when the developer called it Tesla Android. It's really Tesla CarPlay IMHO. Again, IMHO that's why it's got such a following as there's a ton of Tesla owners who want CarPlay. Sure, the other things you can do may be cool, but the core reason for existence is to bring a CarPlay to the Tesla, again IMHO.
Agree - wish Tesla would just add CarPlay, but that will never happen.

Reactions: EMEV
Last edited:
I’ve used these guys for ICE vehicles before and the devices worked fairly well In creating a wireless CarPlay interface. Looks like they will be releasing a Tesla version soon…..

hi @Icehedgehog88 ,
Tesla Android uses the carlinkit cpc200-ccpa dongle plugged in to the raspberry pi as a way to add Apple CarPlay. So you might already own that component. Next all you need to do is find a good deal on raspberry pi 4B with 4GB ram. If you want to use android auto, you run the android os android auto app, no need for carlinkit dongle.

Agree - wish Tesla would just add CarPlay, but that will never happen.

Never say never.

I believe the reason why CarPlay hasn't already been added to Tesla vehicles is two-fold. Elon had some sort of personal beef with Apple in the past.. that's seeming been resolved now. It was just a few months ago that he tried to call out Apple for plotting to block Twitter.. Tim Cook publicly replied there was no such movement and Elon literally popped up at Apple HQ the next day to get the whole thing resolved in person. Next thing you know.. Apple Music is finally available on Teslas!

The other reason is a lot deeper. From all accounts, it appears Tesla wants to keep its infotainment 1st party.. to include creating its own native apps. Not only is that tedious.. but it is virtually impossible to develop & update the sheer number of media apps already available and working in CarPlay/AA. At some point, I think Tesla finally gives in and says you know what.. if that many people still are asking for CarPlay or Android just let them have it already (just like every other automaker). Vehicles like the 2023 Landcruiser are literally just now getting CarPlay for the first time ever.. as Toyota also swore they would never use it. Porsche swore they would never allow Android Auto because they didn't want Google stealing their secret sauce lol.

It's also easy to forget that CarPlay/AA is 100% optional to use. So unless someone has reasons to use it.. the factory infotainment options are always the ones that are present first. This means even if Tesla did allow CarPlay.. as long as the Tesla 1st party experience remained better.. then there is little reason for people to still use CarPlay.

There's actually a 3rd reason. Look at the things we already thought would never happen. I never thought a Tesla would allow CCS DC fast chargers in North America.. yet not only did they enable it.. but they created & sell a CCS1 adapter. I also never thought Tesla would allow non-Tesla EVs to charge at Superchargers in North America.. yet it appears that is starting to happen right now.

At the end of the day what Tesla cares about most is selling vehicles, selling software subscriptions, and selling electrons at Superchargers. This is far and away their primary path to profit and the things they do best. As long as CarPlay is available elsewhere.. and not on a Tesla.. it leaves the door open for a potential Tesla customer to buy a competing EV instead.

What is the startup/boot time to access the web page with this solution compared to Tesla Android? I am assuming it is similar given that they copied the code.
I normally power off via an on/off switch when I leave the car. What I did was power on, leave it on and left the car. I gave it enough time where I no longer saw the T2C connected to my phone. When I jumped back in the car I was connected to my home Wi-Fi and the Tesla would not automatically switch to the T2C even though I could see the Wi-Fi connection. I blocked my Tesla from connecting to my home network and repeated the same steps. When I got to the car it was connected to LTE instead of my home Wi-Fi and it automatically switched to the T2C and the CarPlay screen appeared in 49-52 secs.

Reactions: EMEV