Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CarPlay workaround

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the Android "version", TeslAA. I had to uninstall it until it progresses much further. If you have issues with Tesla's own programming flaws, this seems more clunky and sometimes offered basic functionality, while taking over my phone's connections even when not connected. Doesn't cost much to try, if you want to spend a bunch of time debugging the code and the connections. Android Auto now works in Tesla vehicles through the browser

I have a Pi3 sitting around not doing anything, so if the guy makes this available on GitHub I’ll give it a go. Tbh I don’t have massively high hopes for its functionality, given it uses the Tesla browser. But I also don’t miss CarPlay much.

Now, if he can get my heated seat buttons back …

I have a Pi3 sitting around not doing anything, so if the guy makes this available on GitHub I’ll give it a go. Tbh I don’t have massively high hopes for its functionality, given it uses the Tesla browser. But I also don’t miss CarPlay much.

Now, if he can get my heated seat buttons back …

S3XY buttons says it has seat controls coming soon.

Their facebook actually says rear heated seats can be controlled now.

S3XY buttons says it has seat controls coming soon.

Their facebook actually says rear heated seats can be controlled now.
That is for the Model 3, not Model S.

Reactions: koorosh
Tesla-android's performance via Tesla web browser is very good right now. However you need to use a Raspberry Pi 4B with 4GB or more. Some say 2GB is enough if all you want to do is CarPlay (the system does more) but official recommendation is 4GB. Each release has shown improvements but right now, it's very good. The visual display is excellent too, no compression artifacts or blurriness. In fact, you can set the resolution very high and it is still very responsive. A new software update should be out in a few weeks which uses hardware based gpu image decoding in the mix. I've been using Tesla-android everyday for months now. Having CarPlay really completes the Tesla...I mean...who wouldn't want to continue a pod cast or music from the last point it was paused? And that's just the tip of the iceberg. Smart playlists?

"Tesla Android" Project homepage:

Unofficial help pages for new comers created by a user:

The Reddit Community:

Reactions: BGaffigan
This is very tempting indeed. All the videos I can find are running on Model 3 or Y, I'd love to see it working well on a 'legacy' S like mine before I take the plunge.
I'd suggest posting in the official Tesla-android Reddit community. Perhaps a legacy s owner can chime in. Seem this forum is not allowing links to reddit. Go to reddit and search for teslaandroid community.

Reactions: JimmyB