Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carplay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing that many groups have (car, software, etc.) is a major users' group that serves as a conduit to the vendor (think IBM, VMware, Microsoft, or here, Tesla).

They consolidate feedback from users and give all of it to the vendor so they (vendor) knows what's important.

I don't think we (Tesla Owners) really have any such avenue. M3OC or TMC or various Facebook pages/groups aren't really a major force, much as we'd like to be, except in isolated circumstances. Right? Or is there some avenue I'm missing totally here?

We missed Sir Guacamolaf's valid point though:

"if we were to make such a request to Tesla, what would be the best avenue?"

This is really worth pursuing. Teslas NEED before phone integration. Adding CarPlay, or Android just is the thing to do.
How do we push the message to Tesla?
Anybody?

THANK YOU!

Yes - there is no doubt that ALL Tesla owners would benefit from better phone integration.
How can we ask Tesla for this, politely, respectfully.

Reality is, I am sure Elon/Tesla know that this is high on the wishlist. I'd love to hear their side of the story why they haven't already done this. It isn't like Apple doesn't want to push carplay. Is it a licensing cost issue? Can this cost be forwarded to owners on an opt-in basis?
For instance, I want carplay and I'm willing to pay xxx .. whereas .. you don't and see no cost?

And if carplay isn't the right choice, can we get better phone integration anyway?
- better voice commands
- screen mirroring even if it is read only
- features such as "send to car" (directions/address/notes etc.)
- better integration with mytesla, especially calendar in this oauth world - why can't I login to mytesla and grant it access to google calendar/office 365 and have my emails/calendar show up?
- Read out my emails ot me
- read out my text messages/all notifications .. or show them atleast ..

heck there is an endless list of things a computer can do .. and Tesla is really really missing the boat in exploiting it's capability IMO. That 17" screen, lets put it to good use!

No?

..or do we have to buy a nissan leaf and velcro an ipad in the middle

Suggestion, tweet this thread to Elon! cc @JonMc raise it to the exec team thru mytesla .. is there a better way to have a dialog with Tesla?
I'm trying not to be a pain in the donkey for Tesla here, but would love to hear their side of story/perspective on why the MCU isn't being used for more?

Benefits,
1. Safer if you don't have to look at your phone
2. More features that benefit EVERY Tesla owner, not just the ones with the newest hardware
3. Better music player, nav, voice controls, basically everything so Tesla can focus their time on things like AP.
4. Makes us not jealous of a Toyota corolla.
Sorry don't agree and not sure what features are in CarPlay that I don't already have without it?
#1 - I don't look at my phone now to listen to music, send texts or navigate
#2 - What features that I don't already have with bluetooth?
#3 - Better music player - hardly. I hate the Apple music player, its really annoying and keeps pushing Apple Music on me.
#4 - Sorry, not jealous of a corolla, not even slightly :rolleyes:

Not really interested in CarPlay or Android Auto and don't really want it. Sorry.

I have CarPlay on my Mercedes and Yukon. It was cool at the beginning then after a month I stopped using it. The interface with these two cars is cumbersome and requires plugging in the phone. The native navigation is better in my opinion. Apple map won't let you zoom out to check your surroundings and it won't let you factor in supercharging. It would be great if tesla integrates Siri somehow.
+1. Once I experienced CarPlay for a few weeks, I realized it isn't worth the hype, and frankly sucked. And this is coming from a 30 year Apple fanboy who has owned just about every Apple product under the sun.

I found that whenever someone sends a text to my iPhone, I hold down the home button (a little longer than usual) and ask Siri to read me the message. I can then recite a reply if needed.

Or this works if you have a recent phone with hey Siri support -

“Hey Siri, do I have any new messages”

And car play is cool, but neutered too much to be useful.

Last edited:
I rented a car with CarPlay in it recently and wasn't really that impressed. Mainly, I wanted my apps to show up on the screen but CarPlay would only show Apple's native apps, such as Apple Maps. As soon as switched to Waze, it went back to the "menu of apps" on the CarPlay screen.

Reactions: Sambas