TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Carpool sticker

Discussion in 'California' started by irvineboy, Apr 13, 2015.

1. irvineboy

irvineboy Member

Folks, looking at a used model S. Noticed it has a carpool sticker. Do these expire and have to be renewed every year? Does it allow one person to go in the carpool lane anytime?
    If it needs to be renewed, what are the yearly fees? I heard they stopped allowing the stickers in 2015. Not sure if this is true or not.

2. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Probably should be over in the California regional thread ... you're asking a worldwide audience :). I'll ask a moderator to move.

You need the carpool paperwork & it should match your license plate. It's an $8 one-time fee (unless it's gone up recently). The program has been extended for the white stickers (BEV) so you're good.

3. strider

strider Active Member

Good until 2019. Does not need to be renewed. Yes, allows solo travel in carpool lanes in California.

4. 4SUPER9

4SUPER9 Active Member

The stickers are associated with the license plate. If you kept the same plate, then you are good and no changes are needed. If you get new plates, then to this correctly, you should apply for new stickers. OTOH, you are driving a vehicle that obviously is entitled to have these. I highly doubt that any CHP would check to see if the serial number on the sticker matches the plates.

5. miimura

miimura Active Member

There is a certificate that comes with the decals. The certificate lists the VIN, plate number, and name & address of owner. All should match the vehicle registration. Send form REG 1000 to CA DMV to correct any changes. The $8 fee is not required if no decals are sent. I just transferred a custom plate to my EV and filed this form so they will send me a new certificate. If you have bumper damage and need to replace decals, you can request new ones with this form too.

6. johnnyS

johnnyS Member

Yes it allows carpool use anytime. In addition, apply for an electric vehicle transponder and you can use toll roads for free. When I get on the freeway I get in the carpool lane as fast as possible

7. 4SUPER9

4SUPER9 Active Member

What is an "electric vehicle transponder". I have a fastrak and leave it set at 3.

8. johnnyS

johnnyS Member

For the toll roads, you can setup an electric vehicle account. When we got our model S, I switched our account to an electric vehicle and dropped the other non-electric cars from the account. This allows toll free use of the toll roads for that agency. By having a transponder with the switch you can use all toll roads including other agencies for free. I have been lazy and have not gotten a new transponder with the switch to replace my old one.

9. 4SUPER9

4SUPER9 Active Member

According to thetollroads.com, this is not the case:

10. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

As they say, you need to know the rules of each, because they are all different. I believe the 91 Express lanes allow for free electric vehicle traffic. Certainly all the SF bay area ones do.

11. johnnyS

johnnyS Member

Special Access accounts are available for customers who always drive with three or more people in their vehicle (3+ Carpool Lane), drive a motorcycle, a zero emission vehicle, or have a disabled person or disabled veteran license plate issued by the California Department of Motor Vehicles. Special Access customers are eligible to ride for free at all times except Monday through Friday, eastbound, between 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. At this time, when traveling through the 3+ Carpool Lane, a 50% discount is given on all trips made on the 91 Express Lanes.

91 freeway express lanes are free

12. 4SUPER9

4SUPER9 Active Member

The 110 and 10 are free too. Must still have a transponder, and it can be set on 3, even if you are driving alone. The 73 (eg: "The Toll Roads") clearly state there is no discount.