Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carpool stickers Ca

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering if anyone knew if the stickers are given to the car and if a car does not have them-is there a way to obtain from dmv?
Are they only given once? Are they transferred? Should I just apply for the red ones- I’m assuming 2015’s are eligible

If the car has stickers u need to fill out this form and transfer to your name Clean Air Vehicle (CAV) Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle HOV Lane Usage

If it doesn’t have stickers a 2015 is eligible for red ones however they will expire in 1/1/19 ...it’s better to wait and apply for red ones later this year than u are good till 2022

i think as long as the car got the white or red stickers for the first time 2017 or after, then they are eligible for renawal through 2022. if the car applied for CA HOV stickers 2016 or before, they will expire end of this year.

The ARB guidelines are confusing ..this is from ARB website

White Clean Air Vehicle Decals are no longer being issued, but are valid until January 1, 2019 (per AB 266). These stickers were issued to an unlimited number of qualifying Federal Inherently Low Emission Vehicles (ILEVs). Cars that met these requirements were typically certified full zero emission vehicles (100% battery electric and hydrogen fuel cell electric vehicles) and some very clean compressed natural gas (CNG) vehicles.”

Either way I have both red and white stickers in my car I refuse to put them on as they look horrendous ..I still use the HOV lanes though :oops:

In that link above there is some language where says if u apply for reds in sept or oct I believe than they are good till 2022...the DMV takes about 2mos to process these requests and u can’t go to local office ...these are handled directly from Sacramento

My understanding is the white stickers, which I have, will expire on the 1st of January, 2019. No extension is available. Only 2017s or newer will be able to apply for the extension. Our 3 has a red sticker. I believe that will also expire on the 1st, but we can then get the extension. New stickers are red now, but I think they will change to a new color in January. I'm bummed to lose my sticker. My car is a 2013. I don't understand how a hybrid would be able to have access and not an all-electric car, regardless of year.

My understanding is the white stickers, which I have, will expire on the 1st of January, 2019. No extension is available. Only 2017s or newer will be able to apply for the extension. Our 3 has a red sticker. I believe that will also expire on the 1st, but we can then get the extension. New stickers are red now, but I think they will change to a new color in January. I'm bummed to lose my sticker. My car is a 2013. I don't understand how a hybrid would be able to have access and not an all-electric car, regardless of year.
Well that really sucks. Those stickers are extremely valuable in traffic
My question is is it for cars made in 2017 or later. What if A 2014 car never applied for stickers?

Last edited:
I did. First few times they didn’t have space for messages.
Then they said I need to speak to DMV. I’ll try today.

Lol that 800 number is the DMV special processing unit ...I’m sure when u go local office they will tell you to call 800 number ;)...if ur car didn’t have stickers on just apply as new

Lol that 800 number is the DMV special processing unit ...I’m sure when u go local office they will tell you to call 800 number ;)...if ur car didn’t have stickers on just apply as new
So it was registered with stickers already but they never applied them so I don’t have them.
I need to wait for my plates now. It’s too bad after January I won’t be able to use it since it’s a 2015

@barcagp How did you find out it already had stickers? I am looking for a used, out of state Tesla, and if it has NEVER had carpool stickers, no matter how old, it looks like you can get the new red stickers good for another 3+ years. I just need to verify the VIN over the phone somehow.

@barcagp How did you find out it already had stickers? I am looking for a used, out of state Tesla, and if it has NEVER had carpool stickers, no matter how old, it looks like you can get the new red stickers good for another 3+ years. I just need to verify the VIN over the phone somehow.
I had heard that might be the case. Did you verify this, that an older car that never registered for the stickers can now register for them and they'll be good for a few years?

See: California’s Clean Air Decals | California Air Resources Board

If I buy a used eligible battery-electric, plug-in hybrid or fuel cell car, can I apply for a Clean Air Decal? When would that decal expire?
Used cars are eligible for a Clean Air Decal providing they have never previously had one. The expiration date of the decal is based on the application date for the decal, which is three full years plus the partial year.

I also read something about the Air Resources Board trying to create a better used car market for EV's, and by making them eligible for stickers, it should drive up resale prices, and thus increase the residuals for new vehicle leases, making new vehicles cheaper to own.

See: California’s Clean Air Decals | California Air Resources Board

If I buy a used eligible battery-electric, plug-in hybrid or fuel cell car, can I apply for a Clean Air Decal? When would that decal expire?
Used cars are eligible for a Clean Air Decal providing they have never previously had one. The expiration date of the decal is based on the application date for the decal, which is three full years plus the partial year.

I also read something about the Air Resources Board trying to create a better used car market for EV's, and by making them eligible for stickers, it should drive up resale prices, and thus increase the residuals for new vehicle leases, making new vehicles cheaper to own.
Good to see! That's my sister-in-law's car. She never registered for the sticker because she just didn't want them on her car. She's not selling, though. I, unfortunately, did and lose my privilege soon.