Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carpool stickers Ca

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@barcagp How did you find out it already had stickers? I am looking for a used, out of state Tesla, and if it has NEVER had carpool stickers, no matter how old, it looks like you can get the new red stickers good for another 3+ years. I just need to verify the VIN over the phone somehow.
From my Tesla sales advisor.
California:

· HOV Lane Stickers (please see DMV website link below)

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/decal

· For California Inventory options, you can verify HOV qualification by calling the DMV Special Processing Unit Hotline: 916-659-8035

Sooo...I wanted a car that is sticker eligible and we preferred Model S due to interior space, particularly rear legroom; decided on CPO for a variety of reasons. We started following cars on Tesla-info, found some we liked, we called the DMV Special Processing Unit Hotline: 916-659-8035

They have long to very long waits (up to 90 minutes). Once the queue is 90 minutes, you get an automated recording saying call volume is high and they hang up on you. They are open 8-5 MTThF and 9-5 W. You can request a call back so you don't need to wait 90 minutes on hold listening to govt muzak. Once you get a call back (note a few times I called at 2 pm and never got a call back, but if you stay on hold after 5 they will answer!), you can provide 3 license plates or VINs using NATO phonetic alphabet they will then look them up.

NB even non-California cars they will look up, and we had a few outside California that were 'sticker-ineligible' due to prior reg in CA. About 10 calls/waits and we got results on ~15 cars, most of which were sticker ineligible.

We had found three cars in CA that we were told were eligible.

We picked one that DMV Agent told us was '3-year' sticker eligible - had gotten a carpool sticker in 2018 and thus was eligible for sticker until 1/1/2022. Went through reservation, arranged financing, arranged delivery date. Pictures had a WHITE sticker; on day of delivery called DMV again:

DMV SPU Agent: 'this is for a 2018 car'?

Me: no....2015

SPUA: I have a 2018 Tesla with that VIN

Me: ?

SPUA: let me check (hold....

Me: panic...

Agent: (minutes later): I found the 2015 car, sticker in May 2015, this car is not eligible. This VIN has duplicate records.

Me. WTF

• Funny
Reactions: Denila
You will get red stickers and all red stickers are valid until Jan 1, 2022.

if you wait until 2019 you can get a purple decal (thanks Russell) sticker good for 3 years plus the remainder of 2019, eg until 1/1/23

from CARB State law extends the use of CAV decals for SULEV, ILEV, and certain ULEV vehicles (white) and enhanced AT PZEV or TZEV (green) through January 1, 2019. CAV decals issued on or after January 1, 2019, are valid until January 1 of the fourth year after the year of issuance. All CAV decals must also be reauthorized for use by the Federal Highway Administration. If reauthorization is not granted, the Clean Air Vehicle decal program may end sooner than state law currently allows.

white sticker owners can not renew to beyond 1/1/2022

Last edited:
unless you don't yet have a sticker...if you wait until 2019 you can get a red sticker good for 3 years plus the remainder of 2019, eg until 1/1/23

from CARB State law extends the use of CAV decals for SULEV, ILEV, and certain ULEV vehicles (white) and enhanced AT PZEV or TZEV (green) through January 1, 2019. CAV decals issued on or after January 1, 2019, are valid until January 1 of the fourth year after the year of issuance. All CAV decals must also be reauthorized for use by the Federal Highway Administration. If reauthorization is not granted, the Clean Air Vehicle decal program may end sooner than state law currently allows.

dethman's question was about people with white stickers that renewed.

Beginning January 1, 2019, DMV will be issuing light purple decals which will be valid until January 1, 2023.
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/c...ac-8e8cbea4a69b/18vin16.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CVID=

Could people with white stickers wait until Jan 1 2019 to renew and get purple decals???

For who ever needs the info: I purchased a 2014 P85D previous owner never purchased stickers (knew because car was purchased from my boss) I applied for new stickers and received Red set. Took about 1 month for them to come in and will expire Jan 2022.

Hope this helps anyone looking to purchase.

Reactions: Denila
Sooo...I wanted a car that is sticker eligible and we preferred Model S due to interior space, particularly rear legroom; decided on CPO for a variety of reasons. We started following cars on Tesla-info, found some we liked, we called the DMV Special Processing Unit Hotline: 916-659-8035

They have long to very long waits (up to 90 minutes). Once the queue is 90 minutes, you get an automated recording saying call volume is high and they hang up on you. They are open 8-5 MTThF and 9-5 W. You can request a call back so you don't need to wait 90 minutes on hold listening to govt muzak. Once you get a call back (note a few times I called at 2 pm and never got a call back, but if you stay on hold after 5 they will answer!), you can provide 3 license plates or VINs using NATO phonetic alphabet they will then look them up.

NB even non-California cars they will look up, and we had a few outside California that were 'sticker-ineligible' due to prior reg in CA. About 10 calls/waits and we got results on ~15 cars, most of which were sticker ineligible.

We had found three cars in CA that we were told were eligible.

We picked one that DMV Agent told us was '3-year' sticker eligible - had gotten a carpool sticker in 2018 and thus was eligible for sticker until 1/1/2022. Went through reservation, arranged financing, arranged delivery date. Pictures had a WHITE sticker; on day of delivery called DMV again:

DMV SPU Agent: 'this is for a 2018 car'?

Me: no....2015

SPUA: I have a 2018 Tesla with that VIN

Me: ?

SPUA: let me check (hold....

Me: panic...

Agent: (minutes later): I found the 2015 car, sticker in May 2015, this car is not eligible. This VIN has duplicate records.

Me. WTF

sorry man, that sucks. I had a similar experience after I bought my CPO that I got in 2018. I called that same number and had them check the VIN. They said that the car had never had HOV stickers. (the CPO actually had no stickers when I received it). Applied for HOV stickers and got white ones earlier this year, then sent in for the replacement/red ones and just got noticed that I was ineligible because the vehicle had stickers issued prior to 2017. :( Wonder if it's the same situation as yours with duplicate records.

You can now search for a previously registered VIN (prior to 1/1/2017) via a published PDF by the CA DMV:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/c...b70495a9904d/CAVVINList.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CVID=

Technically if your VIN is found in the document, you DO NOT qualify for the RED HOV stickers. That doesn't mean you can't try though! :)

Wow ... was thinking the link would take you to a webpage that you could punch in a VIN and get a yes/no response, maybe a date previously registered. Was NOT expecting a 2000-page document with literally EVERY VIN printed out....

• Funny
Reactions: Denila and SV2SV
I was wondering if anyone knew if the stickers are given to the car and if a car does not have them-is there a way to obtain from dmv?
Are they only given once? Are they transferred? Should I just apply for the red ones- I’m assuming 2015’s are eligible

I just bought a CPO (Tesla leased) 2015 P85D in June. Applied for the stickers once my plates arrived and received (red stickers) a week later. I reccomend applying and sending the $22 dollars to the dmv. You. Isn’t get your stickers before you actually speak to an agent! Good luck.
Here are the ARB guidelines:

Vehicles issued a White or Green decal in 2017 or 2018

Green and White decals expired at the end of 2018. Qualifying vehicles originally issued a Green or White decal in 2017 or 2018 are eligible to apply for a Red decal (expiring January 1, 2022). If you believe your vehicle is eligible for a Red decal, and you did not receive a pre-filled CAV decal application form with instructions and a return envelope from DMV, please submit a completed Clean Air Vehicle decal application form (REG 1000) to DMV for review.

Vehicles issued a White or Green decal prior to January 1, 2017
If your vehicle was originally issued White or Green decals prior to 2017, your vehicle is no longer eligible for Clean Air vehicle decals and can no longer use high-occupancy vehicle lanes without the full required number of passengers.

Program expiration dates
All new decals issued under this program expire on January 1 of the fourth year after the year in which they were issued. This provides an access period of three full years plus the partial year from when the decal was issued. For example, if a decal was issued anytime in 2019, it expires January 1, 2023.

Please note that this program will end, and any remaining valid decals will expire on September 30, 2025.

Program expiration dates
All new decals issued under this program expire on January 1 of the fourth year after the year in which they were issued. This provides an access period of three full years plus the partial year from when the decal was issued. For example, if a decal was issued anytime in 2019, it expires January 1, 2023.

Please note that this program will end, and any remaining valid decals will expire on September 30, 2025.

So I'd better buy a car in January instead of in December, right?