Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carpool w/OUT Horrible HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reduce congestion to what end? I wasn't around when they implemented the idea but it seems like the reduction in congestion has always been linked to a reduction in consumption and/or pollution. ICE vehicles are at their most inefficient and dirtiest sitting in stop and go traffic. So the purpose of the HOV lane always seemed to be related to pollution.
Reducing congestion allows more people to travel the same road in less time. It allows the same road design to last longer without needing to be expanded to accommodate more cars, this saves millions of dollars in infrastructure spending.
HOV lanes were adopted as a practical measure to solve pressing infrastructure problems, not as a way to reduce greenhouse gasses over the long term.

See the new transponders that have a switch on them for the number of occupants (1,2,3 or more). This is one of the reasons they have restrictions that state the transponder has to be able to be seen from the outside of the car. So law enforcement can validate you have the switch set correctly. It's getting crazy out there.

Here in CA, they do not "view" the position of the physical switch. I believe the switch tells the transponder to signal the receiver how many occupants you've set (3 for EV's); lights above the receiver flash the count as vehicles pass through. CHP Motorcyle units also have receivers; they can pull along side you and determine your switch setting on their display, at which point they can also peer into your vehicle to see if your switch setting matches the number of occupants you have (or that you have an EV sticker).

Last edited:
If the person still has the No Emissions placard then it's obvious the person doesn't have the sticker. Or maybe they were just speeding. I'm more concerned as to why they didn't pull over to the right.

Maybe he cross the double yellow lines to get into the carpool but the traffic was pretty packed I was only going around 25 mph in the carpool lane while regular lanes are traveling at less than 10 mph this morning. I doubt speed is the reason for the stop. He was the only occupant in the vehicle. That stretch of the carpool have a really wide center divider space on the left side of the carpool lane. It'll be a real pain to pull 6 lanes to the right, I think that was the reason CHP have him on the center section of the FWY.

The small one must go on the bumper. The large ones have to go on the quarter panels. It's in the DMV instructions.

And yet the actual DMV instructions received with the stickers completely contradict your assertion.

I didn't see this corrected... I think you just missed the first part of the instructions:

hov_sticker_inst.PNG

Clearly, the text states that the large stickers go on the quarter panels, and the small stickers go on the rear bumper. But the sample diagram shows a car that is typical from the early 1980's era, where the bumper is a distinct piece that is attached to the rear of the car. Today's cars have integrated bumpers (that you can't see) with a bumper cover over it (which is what most laypeople people refer to as the "bumper"). This renders it impractical (and pointless, since it can't be seen) to apply the stickers to the actual bumper itself. Applying the stickers to the rear quarter panels is actually possible, albeit, ugly.

Of course, any reasonable person would, in this case, follow the intent and not the literal instructions. Actually, I think nearly everyone wouldn't even know that there is a difference between a bumper and a bumper cover, or what actually constitutes a quarter panel.

I didn't see this corrected...

The instructions say behind the wheel wells, not above the wheel wells. And as you pointed out, the diagrams clearly show the stickers placed as far down on the side surface as possible, whatever anyone may call it (bumper, quarter panel, bumper cover, etc.)

As Tess Flanders once said, a picture is worth a thousand words; and since the diagram is part of the DMV instructions, no legal body in California could ever successfully prosecute anyone who followed the diagrams rather than some misguided interpretation of the written instructions. Nor would anyone ever be expected to place the stickers high up on the car as liuping originally asserted was required. (Frankly, it'd be easier to prosecute someone for doing that since it contradicts the very clear drawings sent by the DMV!)

I am peeved at all of the single occupant cheats I see... Different situation entirely.

And yet try to get a law passed in California that allows the state to put cameras along every highway to catch every single traffic violation like in England. Not going to happen! Heck, we just got rid of most of our red light traffic cameras, so everyone runs red lights again. We have the technology to catch almost every traffic violation, but everyone wants to break traffic laws, so the electorate never allows such enforcement to be passed. Instead we're left with a cat-and-mouse game with traffic police that only penalizes those dumb (or unlucky) enough to get caught, and Highway Patrol officers who "enforce" speed limits (that everyone ignores) with a wink and a smile.

I think it's interesting the tools you can use to encourage people to buy certain things. There's no reason for example why owners of solar panels shouldn't be allowed to have all their cars in the carpool lane if the state decides. In the bayarea having the carpool lanes full of single occupant electric cars seems weird to me. But I do love every minute of the ride home when the carpool lane is empty. As for ugly stickers, I don't actually see them when I am driving so they don't bother me.

I do have the stickers on, I do drive with a front plate and I also have insurance. These 3 items can cause amazement and a sense of bewilderment to some folks in the area.

The instructions say behind the wheel wells, not above the wheel wells. And as you pointed out, the diagrams clearly show the stickers placed as far down on the side surface as possible, whatever anyone may call it (bumper, quarter panel, bumper cover, etc.)

As Tess Flanders once said, a picture is worth a thousand words; and since the diagram is part of the DMV instructions, no legal body in California could ever successfully prosecute anyone who followed the diagrams rather than some misguided interpretation of the written instructions. Nor would anyone ever be expected to place the stickers high up on the car as liuping originally asserted was required. (Frankly, it'd be easier to prosecute someone for doing that since it contradicts the very clear drawings sent by the DMV!)

A picture is not law or policy. The written words are. I'm simply pointing out that liuping was correct, and you missed the wording in the instructions. It says quarter panel. We all know the intent of the law and the actual law is different. That's all we're trying to point out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarter_panel

Here's the wiki page illustrating what is commonly-understood as a "fender" and "quarter panel":

220px-QuarterPanels.jpg

As I've said before car designs have changed over the years and the general size and coverage of the quarter panel and bumper have significantly changed.

Nope. The car-pool-sticker-in-the-glove-compartment won't work and they can still give you a ticket for not wearing those hideous permanent stickers. You'd only be angering the officer for whipping out the stickers thinking that he wasted his time pulling you over and he'll tell you're only allowed to drive in the car pool lane if the stickers are affixed to your car as stated in the instructions.

What I did was buy 6 of these removable stickers (2 for each sticker) and put them on when I need to use them. I put 2 on for each sticker thinking that eventually the stickiness might start to fade on the bottom sticker and I'd just replace it. Haven't had to replace it yet, but then again, I rarely use the car pool lane.

Any $30 an hour laywer can get you off that ticket. All the requirment is in FLorida you need your car registered. Its not required to display the sticker..... So I'd show the cop my sticker and ask him if I can be on my way, or if he's like to show up in court.

Any $30 an hour laywer can get you off that ticket. All the requirment is in FLorida you need your car registered. Its not required to display the sticker.....

With all due respect, California isn't Florida. If the law is that you must have them on your car then that's the law. Maybe a lawyer could get you out of the ticket; maybe not. Who knows. The point is you're making an Apples to oranges comparison. You may as well tell us what the rules are for cars in Europe because that comparison would be just as relevant as the one you made.

So I'd show the cop my sticker and ask him if I can be on my way, or if he's like to show up in court.

This kind of approach seems like a sure way to end up in court not only with an HOV violation ticket but additional tickets as well.