Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carrier Direct Experience - NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RocY

MYP | MSM | Black | no tow or FSD | OD: 2/26/22
Jan 10, 2022
New York
There aren’t many recent and comprehensive Carrier Direct experience posts on here, so I thought I’d create a thread to share my experience and some tips. Just got the car today, so I figured I’d post while it’s still fresh!

Carrier Direct is an option to have a third-party carrier deliver your car if you live more than 250 miles away from a delivery center. It costs $750 plus tax, and Tesla coordinates with the carrier after everything is situated and the car is ready to go.

Carrier Direct WILL change your EDD to TBD before your VIN, despite Tesla swearing up and down that it shouldn’t make a difference. We had it on our account for about a month from January-February, but decided to get rid of it to see if it made a difference, and an EDD range showed up almost immediately afterwards.

What I recommend doing is setting your profile to pick up the car at your closest delivery center until you get a VIN. You have until your car arrives at the delivery center to decide. In order to switch, you need to call/text Tesla or your SA and ask to switch. You will then get an email from the delivery center with information on Carrier Direct, and ask you to accept (note: they will reimburse you I think $150 to come down and pick the car up instead of doing Carrier Direct). Once you accept and you have a VIN, they will send you paperwork to sign via FedEx or UPS (overnight, with a pre-paid overnight return envelope). Your Delivery Date will be updated to the date they expect the car to be ready to be scheduled for pickup. It’s exciting to see that date, but that is likely not the date that you will actually get the car.

You will need to return the paperwork, provide proof of insurance, and pay (via Plaid or loan check from the lender) before the carrier is scheduled, so while you can wait until the car gets there, if you want it ASAP I would recommend starting the process once you get a VIN.

We got our VIN April 27th. Switched to Carrier Direct on 5/2. Received paperwork on 5/4 and signed/returned the same day; paperwork arrived back at the delivery center on 5/5. Car arrived at the delivery center on 5/9. Delivery date was set to 5/11 but all actions on our end were completed by 5/6.

Once the car is ready and you’ve completed all pre-delivery tasks, they will contact the transporter to coordinate pickup. The transporter will then be in contact with you to provide you with a delivery date/time. Mt. Kisco officially told us that the transporter would call to give us a 7-day delivery window, but unofficially said it’d be more like 2-3 days.

Mt. Kisco let us know on 5/9 that they received the car that day, and that they’d be queuing it up for pickup by the transporter on the evening of 5/10. We got a call from the transporter on 5/12 letting us know that he had the car and was going to be delivering it the next morning. Actual delivery was 7:30am on 5/13, and I got a heads up he was on his way via text at 6:20am. The guy was very nice, and it was a quick drop-off. He had a 3-car open carrier and apparently it was his fourth trip up here this week. We never heard from Mt. Kisco that it was being picked up.

So, to build off my previous comment about scheduling, what really happened was the car was ready for pickup the evening of the 10th, but then it sat there waiting for someone to pick it up. The transporter then is going to deliver ASAP, because what are they going to do, let it sit on a truck in a parking lot for 5 days? If they have a truck and driver, they’ll deliver it as soon as they can. Just one thing to note: once it hit May 12th the app deleted the May 11th date and switched to saying they’d contact us when the car was ready for delivery. Ignore that, especially if you know that the car is ready to go.

If you have a trade-in, you’ll need to be home for them to pick up the car you’re trading in. If not, they will just drop it off in your driveway. You do not need to be home (but, let’s be real, you WILL be home staring out the window waiting for that carrier to arrive). Like at the delivery center, you will have to accept the terms in order to get into your car.

In terms of the car, it looks pretty good. Don’t see any damage from being on the open carrier besides some pollen on it (I’m sure it helped that the weather is nice and it’s not the winter). The biggest issue is that I wasn’t immediately able to accept delivery, but Tesla sent a text at 9:43 asking me to accept delivery. We also needed to sign a delivery declaration and some state registration forms to send back to Mt. Kisco to file with the state. Car came with plates and a temporary registration on it, so it was good to go besides the temporary app issue!

Just as a disclaimer, I had as much information as I did regarding the status of the car because I texted the Tesla number a lot (the messages were sent to Mt. Kisco) and they usually answered my questions within a day or two.

I know a few others have gotten/are getting deliveries via Carrier Direct around now/soon (including Pantha, whose white car is the one pictured on the carrier), so feel free to chime in with your experiences!

C3D8800C-A0C1-4DB5-80D6-11DDC96C8714.jpeg

Last edited:
RocY, that was extremely thorough! Great job!
Todays email said, “I can confirm you are all set and your Tesla is queued for transport. We are now waiting for a transporter to be assigned to pick up and deliver your Tesla.” —Tesla Service Advisor
I searched “Carrier Direct” here to see if I could get any information on how much longer this may take, and you nailed it…
Thank you!😉

Reactions: RocY
RocY, that was extremely thorough! Great job!
Todays email said, “I can confirm you are all set and your Tesla is queued for transport. We are now waiting for a transporter to be assigned to pick up and deliver your Tesla.” —Tesla Service Advisor
I searched “Carrier Direct” here to see if I could get any information on how much longer this may take, and you nailed it…
Thank you!😉
Glad it helped! Didn’t notice this until now because I’ve been trying to cut down on my time here now that I’m not obsessively waiting for our first Tesla 🤪

Reactions: cons220
Do you know if the 250mi minimum is firm for Carrier Direct? I'm in the Binghamton area (180mi), is it possible they would not even offer it as an option?
I’m not sure, it’s worth asking, though. I know sometime the DC will deliver within that radius, but there doesn’t seem to be any pattern to who gets offered delivery vs who needs to pick up.

Reactions: fiehlsport
So we also had a MYP on order and the carrier direct experience could not have been any different. Keep in mind there was only a month and a day between the two deliveries.

MYP was on my husband’s account, and he got more communication from Tesla than I did. Paperwork part was the same. Car arrived at Mt Kisco on the 11th. Yesterday, the 13th, he got a text from Tesla saying that a carrier was assigned, and that we’d be hearing from the carrier to schedule delivery. Didn’t hear anything yesterday. Literally woke up to a car in our driveway this morning (covered in bugs, so I think we were the unfortunate saps at the front of the trailer). Disappointed that our doorbell camera didn’t register the activity, but we think it may have been somewhere around 3-5am that it was delivered. Not sure if it was the same guy who delivered our MYLR7, but we’re thankful we live in a nice neighborhood because the car was just sitting there unlocked with the keys inside. We joked about waking up to a car in the driveway one morning, but didn’t actually think it would happen haha.

Attachments

• C20320DD-6C41-4A50-A4F7-27E16F918191.jpeg
    C20320DD-6C41-4A50-A4F7-27E16F918191.jpeg
    547 KB · Views: 137
  • AFF524B9-2F60-4267-80D3-4F0BDA50E9E4.jpeg
    AFF524B9-2F60-4267-80D3-4F0BDA50E9E4.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 115
  • 59994734-2797-4B5E-B990-69CD1B6C4648.jpeg
    59994734-2797-4B5E-B990-69CD1B6C4648.jpeg
    651.3 KB · Views: 114
  • 3C198CB9-1131-430B-BA8F-B35E19D469E4.jpeg
    3C198CB9-1131-430B-BA8F-B35E19D469E4.jpeg
    496.3 KB · Views: 121
Reactions: Joe Schmoe88
Beautiful, and thanks for the info!

Our Tesla will also be sharing a garage with an Ioniq EV (28kWh). They make a good pair :)
Cool! We’re actually selling our Ioniq, just waiting to get the documentation from Driveway. It’ll be sharing a garage with a black MYLR7 🙂. The Ioniq is nice, but has absolutely nothing on the Tesla. Haven’t driven the MYP yet, but the MYLR is just so much nicer and more fun to drive. I also missed the one-pedal driving that our previous EV (Chevy Bolt) had, which I’m happy to have back with the Tesla.

Reactions: Joe Schmoe88
That's funny, I'm waiting on docs from Driveway for our Niro EV now too. Yeah, they are completely different worlds - the Ioniq is nice to pop around the neighborhood with, but the Tesla is better at everything else! Lots of money to be made on the Ioniqs right now... I'd make 10 grand if I sold ours, but my wife loves it. It's cheap, so I'm not complaining. :)

That's funny, I'm waiting on docs from Driveway for our Niro EV now too. Yeah, they are completely different worlds - the Ioniq is nice to pop around the neighborhood with, but the Tesla is better at everything else! Lots of money to be made on the Ioniqs right now... I'd make 10 grand if I sold ours, but my wife loves it. It's cheap, so I'm not complaining. :)
Yeah we had a really nice lease on ours, but it was totally worth buying it off the lease and selling it. Hope your docs come soon! We’re hoping we get ours sometime this week.

I purchased a model 3 and it was all set almost a week ago 6/14 and is sitting in Mt. Kisco waiting for a driver to be assigned. Little or no communication from Mt. Kisco. It's now 6 days later and I'm still waiting for notification from tesla or the carrier about delivery to Buffalo. Seems to be taking longer than other peoples experience with Carrier Direct.

I purchased a model 3 and it was all set almost a week ago 6/14 and is sitting in Mt. Kisco waiting for a driver to be assigned. Little or no communication from Mt. Kisco. It's now 6 days later and I'm still waiting for notification from tesla or the carrier about delivery to Buffalo. Seems to be taking longer than other peoples experience with Carrier Direct.
I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re backed up a bit due to end of quarter. Hopefully you hear something soon! Once it’s picked up it’ll be delivered within a day.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re backed up a bit due to end of quarter. Hopefully you hear something soon! Once it’s picked up it’ll be delivered within a day.
Also, they inadvertently delivered my vehicle without plates or registration (which is illegal in NYS) because the “service advisor didn’t know they were taking it“
That same service advisor told me “it’s all set” two days before it was picked up, so they’re just lazy and don’t communicate with each other well.
Hope service gets better…excuses start running thin, and there needs to be accountability for change to happen.
Good luck!🍀

sorry to resurrect an old thread, but im in a similar situation. i’m in buffalo as well, and up until today i thought i was going to be picking up in rochester. after getting a vin assigned today i called up rochester and they told me mt kisco handles all deliveries for upstate ny.

it looks like there’s a delivery location in cleveland. is it possible to have them send the car to cleveland instead of mt kisco? would cut the drive from 6 hours down to 3 hours, or save me the 750 for carrier direct

sorry to resurrect an old thread, but im in a similar situation. i’m in buffalo as well, and up until today i thought i was going to be picking up in rochester. after getting a vin assigned today i called up rochester and they told me mt kisco handles all deliveries for upstate ny.

it looks like there’s a delivery location in cleveland. is it possible to have them send the car to cleveland instead of mt kisco? would cut the drive from 6 hours down to 3 hours, or save me the 750 for carrier direct
Unfortunately, no. Since there’s a delivery center in NY, it needs to be delivered by a NY center for reasons surrounding registration or inspection or something. I think there are only 3 options, all downstate or basically downstate. Rochester is only a service center and can’t do deliveries.

Just to add my experience here so far - I have a currently delivery date of Wednesday Nov 30. I have a pretty busy schedule for that day so I texted Tesla asking if I would need to be there for them to drop off, or if they could just leave it in the driveway. They informed me that I would need to be there to meet the transporter. I do not have a trade in vehicle either.

Either way, exciting to see the process is finally coming to a close. Looking forward to taking delivery

Reactions: RocY
Just to add my experience here so far - I have a currently delivery date of Wednesday Nov 30. I have a pretty busy schedule for that day so I texted Tesla asking if I would need to be there for them to drop off, or if they could just leave it in the driveway. They informed me that I would need to be there to meet the transporter. I do not have a trade in vehicle either.

Either way, exciting to see the process is finally coming to a close. Looking forward to taking delivery
Interesting that they said that, given that our second one was delivered in the middle of the night 🤷🏻‍♀️

FYI it might not actually be that day, if that’s what Tesla is saying. I would trust the transporter once they call you over Tesla and I’d ask them if they need you to be there. Mind you, that is if you get a call from the transporter at all 🤪